Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel, Aug. 4th, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 16, 2016.

1. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I have a cat named Oy so, I mean, I'm pretty amped for this movie.

I'm all for the movie being a sequel to the books. I feel like the Journey that Roland went through in the books was the last one that he needed to finally get it right with his next try. He messed it all up near the end by begging Susannah to stay when she chose to leave. The lesson he has to learn is to not let the goal of reaching the Dark Tower cloud his judgement so much that he does wrong by his friends. I got the sense that he kept a piece of wisdom from each of his previous journey and that's what he needed to take from the journey in the book to finally reach and end goal on the next go-around.
    Did any other book readers get that vibe or do you think I'm way off base and he's doomed to repeat the same mistakes for eternity like an extremely cowboy version of Sisyphus?

2. Dog with a Blog

dude when the fucking hell are we getting a trailer for this

3. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

When is the date for this? I'm assuming the thread title is now wrong.

4. July 28th, I believe.

stayillogical likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

If you didn't know, there was a trailer leaked awhile ago but it was unfinished and had a bunch of green screen. I wasn't able to find it again after the day it leaked.

6. Dog with a Blog

Yeah, same thing happened to me. Probably good I wasn't able to see but god damn, I don't know the last time I was so antsy for a trailer.

7. Dog with a Blog

dadbolt and Vivatoto like this.
  8. Dog with a Blog

I wish I didn't watch that haha

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Garrett L. likes this.
  10. Chummel

This Must Be My Dream

That rough trailer cut, having no knowledge of the books or this movie, looks pretty badass.

11. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I regretted not having these in physical form. Guess I'll be rereading the series soon... Photo Feb 11, 2 48 36 PM.jpg Photo Feb 11, 2 41 30 PM.jpg

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I started my re-read last night for this. Remind me to update the thread title if I don't get to it soon.

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm glad the release date got pushed back, if for no other reason than I'll be able to take the summer to read the series for the first time.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Okay, fixed the release date in the title. I wish I knew why this wasn't being called The Gunslinger so that the final film would be The Dark Tower. Can't seem to find why other than the nature of it being a quasi-sequel.

15. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I'm not a huge fan of the film just being called The Dark Tower, especially since we know they have a fairly ambitious plan set out. I guess part of it is for name recognition (though they could name it The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger), my guess is that even though the movie is supposed to sort of be like The Gunslinger structurally, it supposedly takes moments and set pieces from all over the series so they wanted to go as simple as possible instead of tying it specifically to one novel.

ChaseTx and Vivatoto like this.
  16. Vivatoto

17. Dave Diddy

Yeah it's a really cool looking set. My only gripe is that on all of the books and on the box itself it says "a major motion picture starring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey". Not a deal breaker but I personally wish they would have left that off. Otherwise it's great.

18. Vivatoto

Ah, yeah I see that now, a bit annoying. Think they probably could have put it on the Gunslinger and moved on, ha.

19. Dave Diddy

Yeah but oh well, it really is a cool looking set. Oh and just in case it wasn't obvious, it's a paperback collection not a hardback. Which I was totally fine with but thought I'd mention since you said you were considering buying.

20. Vivatoto

Yeah this is my first time seeing the paperback copies of 5-7 which I have in hardcover. Looks like Gunslinger and Wastelands are the only ones with similar cover art to my copies. Although I do have 3 different copies of The Gunslinger for random reasons.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

It seems pretty clear this won't be an adaptation of just The Gunslinger, so that probably explains the title

22. Vivatoto

But it's also not an adaptation of the final book titled The Dark Tower.

Garrett L. likes this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

Sure, but the series is The Dark Tower, so I feel like it makes sense. Also, in the end, everything comes down to money. They probably thought, "Well, what's more marketable and recognizable, 'The Gunslinger' or 'The Dark Tower'?" and went with the latter. "Gunslinger" is too ubiquitous a term, but "The Dark Tower"? That might catch some attention.

24. Vivatoto

I mean the Dark Tower:The Gunslinger would have worked. We know the Drawing isn't happening. Not a big deal though.

25. Dog with a Blog

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is very much going to be Jake's story (this first movie, I mean) and Roland is going to take the backseat. At least, that's the vibe I got from the leaked trailer. God damn, I want to love this movie, but I'm losing faith :verysad: