Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel, Aug. 4th, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 16, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Dark Tower (also known as Stephen King's The Dark Tower) is an upcoming 2017 American science fiction/fantasy/horror film based on the book series of the same name by Stephen King. The film is set to be directed by Nikolaj Arcel with actors including Idris Elba (Roland Deschain) and Matthew McConaughey (The Man in Black) in production.

First set photos of Idris as Roland came out today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Diddy likes this.
  2. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

holy moley! finished this series the other month. was really hoping for a tv series but will totally settle for a movie...series. fingers crossed.

3. Garrett

Current plan is three movies with tv miniseries connecting them, I think...

4. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

This just made my day. And then you add Elba and McConaughey into the mix. I mean, come on!

5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Finished the series about a month ago. Couldn't be any more pumped for whatever comes from this, whether it is indeed 3 movies and a tv show, or just 3 movies, just a tv show, I don't care I just want to see it in some form and see it done right. And with the people attached to this project I have high hopes it'll be done right.

6. jjnunn118 May 19, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK SERIES

Speculation that this isn't an adaptation, but actually a sequel to the books.

Garrett L. and johnnyutes like this.
  7. Garrett May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    Garrett

I honestly like that A LOT.

Edited the above into a spoiler for those who have not finished reading the book series.

8. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

Yeah I was hoping for a Quad-Like button

9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

[​IMG]

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

No Eddie or Susannah in the first film

11. Finished the book series today, and I can't wait to see this on the screen.

12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Vivatoto, coleslawed, ChaseTx and 2 others like this.
  13. jjnunn118

When they mentioned years ago that they wanted to do part of the series as a TV show, this is EXACTLY what I hoped they meant!

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. Vivatoto

I wonder how they'll treat the flashbacks from the first book. Presumably they won't be in this movie since I believe they said they haven't casted the show yet.

15. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

It appears the Taiwanese Sony Pictures YouTube accidentally uploaded a rough cut of the first trailer. Been taken down, but here's a mirror:

troyplaysbass and Vivatoto like this.
  16. Vivatoto

Holy shit

17. So excited for this. Interesting that Jake's story seems to be based on The Waste Lands.

18. Vivatoto

Major book spoilers so avoid if you haven't read it

Presumably he'll still "die" at the end of this first film, that's such an important part for both characters and of course we need the "go now there are other worlds than this line." I wonder how they'll decide to bring him back/how a fresh audience is going to react to his death so early

19. I actually finished the series a few weeks ago, so I can finally dive into the spoilery discussions. I definitely agree that he'll still die at the end of this one. Maybe he'll just get drawn back through a door or something along with Eddie and Susannah in the next movie.

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. jjnunn118

Man that looks so fucking good! Very interested in where they go with this since it isn't looking like a straight adaptation.

Vivatoto likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

22. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

If that's what it takes to get it right, I'm cool with it.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Summer release bodes well vs being dumped in Feb

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Dog with a Blog

Perhaps. Depends on what it's going up against, next summer is pretty non-stop. Deadpool proved that a movie doesn't have to tank in the first quarter. With that said, if this means it's going to be a better film, then I am excited. Obviously the quality of this movie can't tarnish how much I love the books but god damn, I want them to get it right! I fucking love Roland so much :verysad::verysad::verysad:

25. Garrett

I think they realized a Stephen King adaptation with Matt and Idris literally doesn't have to be a cult favorite to draw a huge crowd. Couple that with getting it right? Sold.