Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Really love War Paint still, been listening quite a bit lately. Perfect album for the change into summertime.

I really have a romantic, nostalgic love for this band's older records. Golden Record was such a letdown after they released the best song (Catholic Girls) as the single.

2. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

I'll never forget how excited I was to go see these guys in Austin while I was living 30-45 minutes out.....and then I got into a car wreck like 2 days before and couldn't make it.

Never got another chance, 'twas their last tour. :tear:

3. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Really hope we get another album from this band someday.

Wasn't AJ supposedly going to release a solo album after they broke up? What ever happened to that?

4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

No way they're ever releasing another album

5. burnout2888

Regular Prestigious

RFTS, like for a lot of people, came at just the perfect time in my life. Even if I don't connect with it the same way that I used to, it got me through a lot of really dark stuff in my life at the time, and I'll always appreciate it.

War Paint is okay. The drumming wasn't as unique as RFTS and I think that hurt the songs some, though the title track and the closer are both some of their best songs.

Golden Record just didn't do it for me.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

tbh i don't think i need another album from this band anyway, i think they released War Paint when I needed them to and that was what i needed. ofc it's their art so it's not like i call the shots but i'm okay with their being done.

7. Emotherapy

Regular

I go back and forth on whether RFTS or War Paint is my favorite. At some point I might have said this was my favorite band. Stopped listening right around the time Golden Record was announced because of a breakup. Seeing all the things with Cody go down was very disappointing. Only recently started listening to the first two again in the past month and rediscovered my love for them.

8. alexjlow

Regular

'Reach for the Sun' is probably my favourite record of all time. It just hit me at the perfect time (first year of university and break up with my first real girlfriend) and it will always mean so much to me. 'War Paint' was an incredible follow up and would probably be a top 10 album of all time for me at the very least.

I listened to the EP after RFTS and I would rank 'Wake Up' as one of my favourite songs of theirs. As far as 'Golden Record' goes it really feels separate somehow from the first two records but I think 'Miles Away' could be the best song they ever wrote and there are some other absolute underrated bangers on there like 'Anchor' and 'Honesty'.

I could see these guys doing a reunion tour someday with the original line-up minus Cody...

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Golden Record is great.

RFTS is their masterpiece though.

FTank likes this.
  10. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

War Paint and RFTS were both great. Never really connected with their last album. I would love to see AJ put some more stuff out though. He and Corey from the Graduate need to continue putting out materials. Always loved both of them.

The stories that came out about Cody though... always so ridiculous

11. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Really did like Golden Record when it came out. There's still some guitar work there that I find interesting.

But the screamy vocals are just grating for me, it gets exhausting to listen to.

12. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

RFTS and War Paint are about equal for me. Golden Record is about half good, from what I remember, but I haven't listened basically since it came out. Catholic Girls might be their best song overall, though.

Zac Djamoos and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Never really got all the love for Catholic Girls, I think it's kind of a middling track on GR

14. Malatesta

We Will Wait in the Fog gets loads of replays from me, other than that I was never able to get into Golden Record :/

15. CoffeeEyes17

I know everyone makes fun of "We Will Wait In The Fog" but I really, really like it in addition to pretty much all the songs on GR. I just happen to think WP and RFTS are better.

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"We Will Wait in the Fog" was always one of my favorites on GR. I can't remember the last time I listened to that record all the way through though. "Miles Apart" was always my favorite.

SpyKi and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  17. CoffeeEyes17

"Catholic Girls" and "Miles Apart" are top tier TDS.

Zac Djamoos and Yellowcard2006 like this.
  18. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I enjoy all of their work but Reach For The Sun has just such a great track flow and lyrics. I enjoyed Golden Record as well but overall it has quite a bit different sound. Catholic Girls is probably my favorite on there.

19. Malatesta

people make fun of WWWITF? that song is amazing

20. Jake Z

Regular

Love RFTS but never checked anything after. I need to do that.

21. I absolutely despise that song haha. That's the one where his voice really bothers me. Miles Apart, I'm So Pathetic, and Catholic Girls are up there close to my favorites, the rest I forget about

22. SayHello

Regular

I (still) listen to this band almost on a daily basis. In my mind, RFTS and War Paint are basically flawless albums and everything that music should be to me. And Golden Record had some really, really exceptionally good, aggressive cuts, although some songs in the middle of the record were a bit awkward. I think the first four songs on Golden Record are top notch TDS songs, and then the album drops off slightly for me. Also, everyone always said "x" band would never come back, but the basic fact is that most bands and people do in time mend and heal wounds. they were young and immature. i wouldn't expect anything within the next five or seven years, but maybe somewhere down the line (if Cody ever gets the help he needs) i could see this band releasing one more album.

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

thanks for sharing my thoughts and opinions for me.

Craig Manning likes this.
  24. CAC3

Dog

I started listening to TDS after war paint had already came out, so I was able to digest both Reach For The Sun and War Paint in the same summer. Because of this, The Dangerous Summer brings me back to that specific point in my life. I get very nostalgic feelings listening to either records. Not many bands have taken over a period of my life like these guys did. They were truly about 90% of the music I listened to that summer. Still love both albums. Would absolutely love for AJ to be making music in some fashion again, I would always support his musical endeavors.

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, guess I'm the outlier on everything haha. Fog is my least favorite on GR by a mile