Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer - The Dangerous Summer (January 26th, 2018) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Heh, was waiting for their post!

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

very good song

3. schackbr

Regular

hm. i'm a really huge fan of this band but i'm not digging "Ghosts" too much. drags a bit for me.

still have really high hopes for the album though.

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Digging this one. Definitely excited for the rest of the album.

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

A lot I like about it, but some stuff I don’t love. Vocal is still too rough for my liking and some of the writing doesn’t hit as cleanly as it has in the past, but I love the guitar and how the song opens up. Not a ton to sink my teeth into yet.

6. CoffeeEyes17

i really like it. more than Fire and i like Fire a good bit. AJs bass is very much the backbone, the guitars and drums just add on to the atmosphere. as far as slower TDS songs go its great. lyrically theres little lines here and there that really hit hard "I'll give you the part of me that no one ever gets".

this song reminds me a lot of RFTS just in how its atmospheric but still feels like its so.....urgent.

beachdude42 and Slangster like this.
  7. Jusscali

I really don’t like the chorus of fire so I knew I’d like this better.

8. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Fire has that great guitar line and Ghosts is a decent mid-tempo track but I still prefer pretty much anything on their other albums. Hoping to be blown away by the rest of the tracks.

Jusscali likes this.
  9. Jusscali

Basically this.

10. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Thought Ghosts was kinda boring

11. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I think Ghosts is better than every song on the last album not called Catholic Girls. I didn't really expect that to be a contrarian take here, but it seems like it is.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

this is a really weird observation and maybe its because im rewatching A:TLA but all 4 TDS album arts have one of the four elements represented on them in some fashion:RFTS shows the earth, WP shows a skyline, GR has a flame, and now this album has water.

basically this is TDS Alchemy Index put ur tinfoil hats on

teebs41, beachdude42, SpyKi and 3 others like this.
  13. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Meh. So far neither song has done much for me.

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Don't understand the negative reactions if you've been a fan of them in the past. It's a natural continuation of where they were always headed

beachdude42, FTank and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Sounds like something from the second half of War Paint. I am fucking ready for this record.

17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Haven’t listened to Ghosts yet because I’m lazy, but Fire is one of my favorite TDS songs, I think (like it more than almost all of GR, and I love that record) - so if the rest of the album is close to that level, it’s gonna be fantastic

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is fantastic. Sounds like a mix of some of the more angsty songs from the first record. You can really tell he's friends with Brian from Have Mercy for sure.

beachdude42, astereo and sophos34 like this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

so i got this record in my inbox not long after i posted earlier. ive been listening to it since.

first and foremost, i was a bit hesitant to discuss this album in any sort of public light due to the aforementioned situation involving this band and nude pictures. while i dont at all want to come across as supporting those actions or rushing to this bands defense, for me this is something that wont discourage me from listening to this band. do i wish theyd make a statement? of course, i want to know the artists i love are remorseful in regards to their mistakes no matter how far back those mistakes happened. but as far as this specific situation goes, yeah it was shitty of them to do but AJ in particular has shown hes matured by booting Cody and trying to make amends for his actions from way back when. i fully recognize that i am able to see this situation from a position of privilege and i fully understand not wanting to support this band and i hope you wont think less of me for still enjoying this band. please, if you want to discuss further or inform me on something im missing or flat-out tell me im dumb then PM me and we can talk about it.

with that said, ive got about 3 listens in and ive got some thoughts. if youre worried this will be another GR, which is an album i love btw, put those fears aside. this album reminds me most of WP but theres definitely some experimentation here and there. Valium is honestly heavy as fuck at times, its got a Glassjaw-ish feel to it with how chaotic yet controlled it can feel at times. Luna has this atmospheric storm sound effect to set the mood, its gloomier and mellower than most TDS songs. Color is a really different opener for them, its more in line with something like Ghost and Luna as far as being more atmospheric. it builds into a cascade of guitars and cymbals which is pretty phenomenal. This Is Life reminds me so much of No Ones Gonna Need You More, i cant believe it wasnt this albums lead single. its catchy, urgent, fast, it has that delay pedal effect on the guitars which just adds to this almost galloping feel. the guitars on a lot of the songs are more in line with what they did on WP, they have that screeching feel to them at times, bouncing around between low and high notes. Infinite may be their best closer, i know its early but damn. it feels like two different songs slammed together but in the best way possible.

Ryan Gardner, Joe4th, Kuri44 and 7 others like this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I also got this in my inbox, but only listened once because I had to go record a podcast. But yeah, it's a step up from Golden Record, and the closing track is a knockout.

21. CoffeeEyes17

lets do a TDS podcast together craig

beachdude42 and astereo like this.
  22. So hyped. Thanks guys

sonder likes this.
  23. CoffeeEyes17

im not sure if this will be the album that converts you if you arent really into this band or only like a few songs here or there, but if you love WP i dont see why you wouldnt love this. theres still an issue of identity between songs, something thats plagued this band since day one is their songs just sound the same at least on the surface.

AJ hasnt skipped a beat as far as songwriting goes, hes got some great lyrics throughout

24. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

War Paint is their best so I am hyped.

Kuri44 likes this.
  25. atlas

Trusted

"heavy" TDS has always been better in theory than practice (Work In Progress being the exception) but I reeeeally wanna hear Valium after that description