Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer - Mother Nature (June 14, 2019) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

The drop off in quality gets me every time I do a discog run though :/ My fiance was like: that can't be the same guy - what the hell happened to him? lol

beachdude and Jdaniels like this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Maybe you should reach for the sun

sonder, Kerrbs, jorbjorb and 2 others like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I’m extremely late to this discussion, but the best TDS song is Work In Progress.

Also:
    War Paint > Reach for the Sun >>>> Self-titled > Golden Record

jorbjorb and Micah511 like this.
  4. beachdude

Also... I’ve always wondered exactly what happened to AJ’s voice before Golden Record. Even listening to the first two albums then jumping back to the new album singles, his voice is SO much rougher. I’m trying to ask this in a way that doesn’t sound mean but did he like... permanently strain his voice? Because the way his voice has changed since their early days doesn’t sound healthy to me (keeping in mind that I’m not at all a vocal expert).

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I bet smoke and constant strain/alcohol/terrible diet and lack of sleep are all legit reasons.

momo32t, beachdude and Micah511 like this.
  6. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

dude also doesnt seem like hes, uh, taking care of himself physically. Most singers once they start getting into their 30s start realizing, "crap, i cant drink and smoke and eat whatever i want and expect my voice to be fine." Coheed is the biggest example of this. look at claudio (coheed) pre afterman and again now. Dude stopped smoking and got in shape and sounds better now than he ever has.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude like this.
  7. beachdude

Yeah those all make sense. It’s just striking because sometimes when I’m listening to the newer stuff I kind of forget and think he’s always sounded exactly how he does now. Then I throw on RFTS and the difference in tone is *immediately* noticeable.

8. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

didnt he also say he was really inspired by against me during golden record? that was definitely intentional to yell the whole time.

beachdude likes this.
  9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I’m gonna go back and listen to War Paint today. Remember nothing about that album

jorbjorb and beachdude like this.
  10. beachdude

Yeah definitely. But I think on the softer songs from self-titled and Bring Me Back to Life from the new album, it’s pretty apparent that his voice has also changed because he doesn’t sound like he would in the early days singing those tracks.

Micah511 likes this.
  11. beachdude

Oh man, you’re in for a treat!

12. sawhney[rusted]2

I listened to it like 10 times before but it never stuck with me. Haven’t listened in years though, so hopefully I get a fresh perspective

beachdude likes this.
  13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

beachdude likes this.
  14. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

The talk of The Graduate before reminds me that Anhedonia is not on Spotify which is ridiculous.

studskalny and beachdude like this.
  15. beachdude

It actually took me a few times also. But now I absolutely adore it... the first few tracks especially I think are all in their top tracks ever.

16. momo32t

Trusted

This kind of thinking that makes me more excited for Acceptance’s follow-up to Colliding by Design. And I like that record.

17. sawhney[rusted]2

Colliding by Design was amazing, and considering the reverence of their older albums I’m expecting them to knock it out of the park.

I think I was too young to enjoy many of these types of bands (Acceptance, TDS, The Graduate, The Early November, etc.) so Im really enjoying their new output and am becoming a fan of their resurgences

beachdude likes this.
  18. beachdude

Right there with you. Discovering a lot of these bands in the last few years has been a real treat.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. ok woah this new song is awesome

beachdude and jorbjorb like this.
  20. momo32t

Trusted

I remember talking to Matt during the Graduate days and I was both shocked and impressed when he told me he had the idea for Interlude - one of my favorite instrumental tracks ever.

21. Soundandfury182

Regular

Jason, considering you know the industry much better than most - what do you think this album could/will do for their career? Based off the first three tracks and their Spotify numbers it seems like maybe they’re getting bigger than they’ve ever been. Idk much about that stuff but am curious about where this band could go.

beachdude and jorbjorb like this.
  22. sawhney[rusted]2

War Paint > RFTS > s/t > Golden Record

beachdude likes this.
  23. sawhney[rusted]2

Holy hell this was super immediate for me haha

beachdude likes this.
  24. Just got a shipping notification. Lets do this

25. Might get some answers here too...