Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer - Gravity (June 21, 2024) • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TimeBandit99, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Huh, I actually think War Paint beats the “every song sounds the same” criticism more than Reach for the Sun does.

wisdomfordebris and Greg like this.
  2. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I just prefer the less aggressive sound of RFTS over War Paint. Both great though.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

War Paint is def darker than RFTS but both equally great. Two sides of a coin.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

RFTS carried the torch after TSL first disbanded.

Bartek T. and Crisp X like this.
  5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

On repeated listens this album is really good actually.

6. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

Mother Nature sounds like a band being pushed to deliver a cohesive and complete piece of art as if their career depended on it. Everything since then feels like a band that wrote some songs and slapped them together to put out an ep/album hoping that one of the songs takes off by being placed on a Spotify playlist (as if their career depends on it). I’m not saying there haven’t been some great songs since Mother Nature, but just pointing out how it feels to me.

Samuel Pura, Jusscali and FTank like this.
  7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Listened to Mother Nature in full for the first time in a minute and really my immediate first thought was: “man these songs SOUND so good”

There’s something I can’t describe well, but Coming Home and Gravity just sound … off? Like AJ’s vocals just sound flat? Slightly off? Kinda like a tv slightly out of focus. Just there’s something off there which is overpoweringly much better on Mother Nature

hairtaylor likes this.
  8. TimeBandit99

Regular

The vocals on Coming Home and Gravity at times sound very compressed and sometimes buried in the mix a little. As compared to say Starting Over on MN where they are loud, wide and front and center. But a song like Goodbye also has a prominent Vocal as well tho

But these last 2 albums the vocals are seated deeper in the mix more than ever for them

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  9. mationation

I think God's a painter

protip if you're listening to this on spotify go into settings -> playback, switch the volume level to loud, then toggle off "enable audio normalization". allows you to have the decibels this album was meant to be experienced in and makes everything on that platform sound better in general I sadly just discovered this

10. Ricky's Law

This is a damn fine cup of coffee.

It dawned on me that AJ is John Popper (Blues Traveler) meets AvA-era Tom.

Chummel and thatwasamoment like this.
  11. Ricky's Law Jun 30, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 12:09 PM)
    Ricky's Law

Did these guys ever get grief for using SoCal imagery and lyrics when they're an East Coast band?

A bunch of bands that weren't from Seattle adopted the grunge aesthetic when it was hot, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a band go to these lengths without being based in Southern California.

EDIT: I am not saying that they should be criticized for using another location for inspiration. I am also not saying that they can't do such a thing. My grunge example was meant to show that this sort of thing is common. I merely wanted to know if such criticism ever existed. I've since learned that AJ lived in California for five years, which negates the question entirely.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I wouldn’t even call Baltimore east coast either.

13. Ricky's Law

Baltimore's Camden Yards serves Crab Mac n Cheese Dogs. If that's not East Coast, then I don't know what is.

Pepetito likes this.
  14. TimeBandit99

Regular

I don't think they started doing it till AJ moved to California for 5 years

And Baltimore is absolutely east coast lol

Pepetito and Ricky's Law like this.
  15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I'm listening to Mother Nature for the first time in probably two or three years and it's even better than I remembered! I've always liked it but thought it was a touch overrated because to me it doesn't really touch those first two records, but it's still very accomplished and the production is great.

Shame about Gravity.

sophos34 likes this.
  16. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I agree with Mitch - I don’t think it’s that close to the first two records without Sam’s help. The production choices take the songs to another level.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

Yes! Thank you!

hairtaylor likes this.
  18. thehumgoesonforever

What a weird thing to care about lol. i can think of maybe two times in their discography that they referenced california (one of which literally says "fuck california") and AJ lived there for several years. not sure that warrants them "getting grief"

orangehorizon and sophos34 like this.
  19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Since he lived in LA for a time and Blind Ambition literally is about sorta reminiscing about his time living in LA I would have to say it doesn’t bother me in the slightest

sophos34 likes this.
  20. Yeah, this band (and their former members) has done plenty of things that bother me over the years, but singing about LA is absolutely not one of them, ha.

21. J12

Trusted Supporter

This has grown on me quite substantially, though I still have it quite a ways below Reach/War Paint/MN.

KyleAtGalaxy and malloz16 like this.
  22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

get grief for using imagery of a place they aren’t from lol be fucking serious for one second and read what you said back

23. we should focus that energy into something worth bullying

Like when he wrote a song about shooting rope

NiklePikle, FTank, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

lol wtf song is that

25. Ricky's Law Jul 1, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM)
    Ricky's Law

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I cared all that much. The grunge example was me trying to say that this sort of thing is nothing new. I was just asking out of curiosity. Admittedly, I did not know that AJ lived in CA for a period of time. I never would've asked the question had I known.