Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer - Gravity (June 21, 2024) • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TimeBandit99, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Donnie Ruth Jun 27, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    (Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 7:58 AM)
    Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I really am not that down on the S/T album as everyone else seems to be.

Like yes in the rankings I’d put it behind RFTS, MN, and WP but it’s in its own tier well above this and the last album for me. Golden Record I don’t know where to put it, prob bottom tier. Haven’t listened to that in forever

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Self Titled is fine, just kind of... there.

NiklePikle likes this.
  3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Color, This is life, Infinite, Ghosts, & Fire are all really good to me.

Looking at tracklist Luna is the only one I skip. The others I remember really liking just I would need a re-listen to refresh haha

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The problem with self-titled, other than the tuning, is that it has zero all-timers. A bunch of songs I like, but none I really love.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that’s the problem in my head with Golden Record vs S/T. Catholic Girls is an all timer and maybe a top 3 song for me … but other than maybe Miles Apart & Sins, I don’t care for the rest of it.

Give me the album with consistent good-ish than mostly bad (or forgettable I guess since I can’t remember much else on that album)

(when comparing GR and S/T)

6. thehumgoesonforever

You can definitely tell they were finding their footing again with S/T, but there is an earnestness to that record that really elevates it for me. You can hear how much it meant to them to be making music again

NiklePikle, FTank and Smee22 like this.
  7. TimeBandit99

Regular

Infinite= Top 3 TDS for me

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The first three songs and Infinite are all up there with the best of TDS, imo

9. manoverboard365

Trusted

Infinite, This is Life and Ghosts are all timers for me.

10. Craig Manning

None of those would even contend for my top 25.

NiklePikle likes this.
  11. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to pinpoint why, but nothing they’ve done since the first two records has ever really hit me like they do. I think Sins and Catholic Girls are the last songs that really hit that sweet spot for me.

Jusscali likes this.
  12. TimeBandit99

Regular

I wonder how much of it is us being younger when those albums hit.. I listened to Work in Progress yesterday, and imagined if it had been released on this newest album instead of War Paint. Would it really stand out as 100 times better than the rest of Gravity? I dont think so honestly. I think a lot of it was us being younger when these songs hit. Just an idea

NiklePikle likes this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Fire is an all timer for me but that’s it and it’s pretty low on my rank of all timers

NiklePikle likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Idk, nostalgia is obviously a big factor, but also...I just think a lot changed about how AJ wrote songs. I've made this point before, but the way he wrote bridges on those first two records (and a little bit on the third) was really visceral and added so much emotion and momentum to those songs. Even the songs I really like since the comeback (and even Mother Nature, an album I really love) just does not have that aspect of his writing.

Crisp X, Micah511 and SamLevi11 like this.
  15. Craig Manning

War Paint is, for my money, the greatest "bridges album" ever.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Work In Progress would absolutely still hit if I heard it today I still routinely get floored by plenty of pop punk music coming out. Koyo, Arms Length, Hot Mulligan, and One Step closer all have multiple songs that hit me right in the gut the way old dangerous summer songs do. People will do everything but admit AJ has lost some of his songwriting chops

17. Ricky's Law

This is a damn fine cup of coffee.

I've been listening to WIP all week, in fact. It definitely still hits.

NiklePikle and sophos34 like this.
  18. manoverboard365

Trusted

I didnt get into The Dangerous Summer until 2019. I think the Mother Nature singles were coming out and I saw a comment about Bring Me Back to Life sounding like Angels and Airwaves if "AVA was space then TDS is earth" so I was intrigued. Loved the singles, then I gave self titled a full album listen and loved it too.

There really isn't much nostalgia tied to Work in Progress for me, so yes I think if WIP was on Gravity it would blow the rest of the album out of the water. But I also think Pacific Ocean blows a lot of pre-hiatus songs out of the water, too.

KyleAtGalaxy likes this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Same lol I’ve been going for war paint and rfts every time I get in my car

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I really like Catholic Girls, Sins, Honestly, Miles Apart, and Anchor from GR

CoachBalke and Jusscali like this.
  21. SamLevi11

Prestigious Prestigious

I honestly think What’s An Hour Really Worth fucking rules.

Got a three hour drive on my own tomorrow, and back on Sunday. Gonna do a discography run.

22. manoverboard365

Trusted

They are the perfect long drive windows down band. I always throw their discography on shuffle when I go long distances

23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I was listening to The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation yesterday and think it might have it beat, but yeah this dude used to be a masterclass in bridge writing. Makes sense, he adores TSwift.

24. Craig Manning

I like the bridges on War Paint way, way more, even though there are some excellent ones on The Greatest Generation. The only song on that album where the bridge is the first thing I think of when I think of the song is "Passing Through a Screen Door." On War Paint, there are like 7-8 songs where the bridge is my favorite part of the song.

Micah511 likes this.
  25. CoachBalke

Regular

This is working very well for me as an “album” IMG_8150.jpeg

tonyt3524 and Mr. Serotonin like this.