Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer - All That Is Left of the Blue Sky (December 4, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by astereo, Nov 4, 2020.

1. atlas

Trusted

Yeah love these guys and am rooting for them all the way but there's just not much going on in this song. FTA has been easily my fav of the 3. Worried they're gonna miss Ben more than I thought

jordalsh and hairtaylor like this.
  2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is my favorite of the three so far. To me, this just sounds very much like what an AJ solo record would sound like, except he just kept the Dangerous Summer name. But the songs are all good regardless.

3. This is my least favorite, to be honest, "Lie to Me" is probably my favorite. Maybe "Come Along." That one's classic TDS.

Definitely a more laid back vibe to some of the songs, but for an EP, I think that's usually what I want. Something a little different.

astereo and manoverboard365 like this.
  5. ninepointnine

Lie to Me?

6. ninepointnine

How did you listen to it? Can't find it anywhere.

7. Oh, AJ sent it to me, not released yet. Just an advance so I could write about it.

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

He runs a popular music website so sometimes bands send him music early

Jdaniels, SamLevi11, Ellite25 and 5 others like this.
  9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Subbing

10. amodelofconsistency

I lovedddd the Broken Glowsticks song but not really feeling the new songs put out under TDS.

11. Haven't we already had that discussion several times over? There were constant references to alcohol abuse in their earlier work as well. Alcohol is considered a drug. I personally don't drink or partake in drugs, but I can relate to the emotional sentiments that are being conveyed in these new songs.

If you can't reconcile your perception of an artist's life / actions / work, it's okay to not listen anymore.

12. TimeBandit99

Regular

Which is confusing, cause thats what broken glowsticks technically is, is an A.J solo project

13. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

Damn, check out that Truly product placement! Hope the boys getting paid!

14. MegT585

Trusted

I enjoyed I’m Alive but I feel like it wasn’t fully finished/ it just randomly ends.

15. AshlandATeam

Trusted

To me, that sounds/feels like the same project as this.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Never could get into their last album so I’m hoping this one draws me back in.

17. Chummel

This Must Be My Dream

After my third listen, I could definitely hear Jumper in the beginning. Knew it sounded somewhat familiar

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah I agree - I’m curious how AJ is deciding which songs are for which project

AshlandATeam likes this.
  19. TimeBandit99

Regular

I do love the vid for sure. Surprised the song is only 2:40! Thats misfits territory lol

20. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Hey y'all, saw this thread linked in @Jason Tate's newsletter so I figured I'd come say hi. I did the all the artwork for the physical release of this, plus a couple merch designs, so the guys trusted me with the full EP early as well.

My general thoughts after a few listens are that it feels like a continuation of Mother Nature – some of the traditional TDS elements with a decent amount of experimentation. I can't say this with authority, but I feel like Matt has been really flexing some songwriting muscles here and on Mother Nature that weren't as fully developed on the self-titled. The piano on some of these songs especially feels like a natural evolution for their sound via Matt.

I'll also echo some of Jason's thoughts: a lot of these do feel like EP songs that wouldn't necessarily work as well on a full-length, and I don't think you should feel discouraged as a fan if you don't love them all. I also gravitate most to some of the unreleased tracks, so I encourage you to still give the full EP a listen even if you didn't like some of those released so far.

I've been working on and off with the band since they returned from hiatus, and I'll say that right now is the most energized I've ever seen them to make new art. They are constantly writing and in the studio, and they're especially invested in creating/releasing now that they're independent – it feels like they're putting all of themselves into all of this, even if it doesn't show 100% on the consumer side of things. So grab a record or even a just digital download preorder – every penny goes towards making new art.

21. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Also–

I love Ben so much and miss him like hell in this band, but he is still doing cool shit. His new band is called DIM and they've shared a couple clips of songs on instagram. I'm coincidentally doing some artwork for them as well, so I've heard a few of their demos and I think people around here will really dig them. Think like late 90s/early00s indie pop rock with catchy melodies, soaring vocals, and some lush, post-rock-esque instrumentation. Give them a follow.

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Welcome to Chorus! Thanks for checking in, this is all great to hear! Very excited to listen :-)

astereo and artbynickferran like this.
  23. vidiviciveni

Trusted

The other two aren't quite doing it for me but Fuck Them All is an absolute gem

Brent likes this.
  24. TimeBandit99

Regular

I like these songs so far especially when mixed with their entire catalog. RFTS and War paint are bonafide classics but they have a very similar sound. When I hit random on all their songs now and these new ones come on, it sounds refreshing and adds a different facet to their catalog.

I'm alive is very different to say, infinite. But I don't think they are trying for that type of epic shoot for the stars song this time

That said, I'm alive is prob my least favorite of the 3 and hope it grows on me...

Jdaniels likes this.