Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer – War Paint • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Oh yeah, Mother Nature is fantastic. Specifically love Bring Me Back to Life, Where were you when the sky opened up, Way Down, Starting Over, Is it Real and Better Light.

But I can play that record front to back for the most part. Good stuff. My gf doesn't really listen to that "style" of music but she really likes it as well.

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. sblackburn

Regular

I really like the new EP. That’s the first time they really changed their sound. I mean, I love TDS sound. But it’s a real treat when a band can get out of their comfort zone

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

In some ways, I feel like Mother Nature is the true spiritual follow-up to War Paint. It feels more of a piece with those first two albums than the two albums they made in between.

I need to spend more time with it. It's the only TDS release that hasn't dominated my listening, mostly because it came out at the end of the year/in the dead of winter and I wasn't really in the mood for that kind of music at the time.

Jason Tate and Ryan G like this.
  4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Thanks so much for introducing me to this band Craig. I have no idea how I missed them at the time. I got right into AP.net in 2005 and tried to listen to anything that got a good review for years. I remember all the hype for Mean Everything to Nothing but never seeing anything about Reach for the Sun. I must have just not logged on for a while when RFTS was making waves. Who knows?

I finally gave them a listen because of your top albums of the 2000s list. Then Mother Nature came out and it was exceptional. I've since seen the band live, met AJ who was super nice, and own all their albums.

Possibly because I discovered RFTS and then Mother Nature they remain my favourites, but War Paint is right behind them. My favourite has always been Everyone Left. What a mammoth chorus.

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Also the S/T is way better than I was expecting. Probably their best closer aside from Never Feel Alone.

6. Craig Manning

There definitely was a AP.net review, because that’s where I was introduced to them. Blake Solomon wrote that one.

Awesome that you’ve found your way to them now, though, and glad my list could serve that utility!

Steeeve Perry and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Blake was one of my favourite reviewers back in the day. And he actually introduced me to Butch Walker from memory with his review of I Liked It Better (probably why I still rate She Likes Hair Bands among my fav Butch songs, and Be Good Until Then is up there too). Must have just been off the grid for all RFTS discourse. Pleased to be making up for lost time.

Mr. Serotonin and Craig Manning like this.
  8. Craig Manning

Pretty sure it was a search for Butch Walker b-sides that brought me to Absolutepunk in the first place. That or Jimmy Eat World demos.

Steeeve Perry likes this.