Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer – The Dangerous Summer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 22, 2018.

1. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. grimis16

Regular

I really enjoyed reading that review. Music is like a time capsule for me. Whenever I hear certain songs or albums, I'm reminded of past memories, people and places. Had no idea this was even coming out, so to find out it will be out in a few days is pretty amazing.

3. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Great review.

4. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

What a beautifully written review! I have a special place in my heart for The Dangerous Summer. Their lyrics and songs have helped me out of a lot of dark times. I'm excited to hear this new album. There's something to be said growing up with a band and having them follow you through different monuments in your life.

5. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Awesome write-up! and I'm really excited for that album, being thankful it's Cody-less on top of everything.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Full disclosure: I'd still call this a distant third in their catalog, after RFTS and War Paint. But it comes a lot closer to capturing what made those albums special than Golden Record did.

7. conquerstrife

RFTS is special. Everything on a technical level just seems 'meh' but those lyrics, especially the bridges, always hit hard. It resonated with me in a way I don't think I'll experience again.

I'm excited they're playing music again so I can support them. That being said I'm certain I'll be disappointed tomorrow.

Saephon likes this.
  8. delta_existential

That's funny, I've always felt like they were one of the more technical bands on the scene at that time. Tyler Minsberg is an absolutely devastating drummer, I can't even touch most of his parts. And Bryan Czap was hugely talented at writing little earworm licks that push the songs over the top.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  9. Saephon

Regular

As an admittedly amateur musician, I've never considered TDS very "technical", but I guess it depends on what that means. I have always thought they have flawless execution and production though. What they do, they do *very well*. I can't think of another band that sounds like TDS that comes close. If I'm in the mood to listen to this kind of music, I have to put them on and no one else.

10. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

The Starting Line are the only ones that come close, maybe Have Mercy for a more recent example, but I don't think the execution is there.

11. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I really don’t like have mercy so I don’t see the comparison. I think the starting line are almost too poppy to compare the two. Maybe parts of boats and a few direction tracks but that’s it.

Micah511 likes this.
  12. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I used to enjoy The American Scene as a substitute from time to time! ;D

13. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I personally love Have Mercy, but same as you, I don't really see the comparison - maybe as far as some of the vocal lines go... Though TDS is basically a TSL influence with some delay pedals on and tighter drumming ;d

Also, I used to hear some resemblance to Box Car Racer when it came to the rhythm guitar, there were some specific moments on the first album.

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It's funny to hear what different folks think of bands - to me, Have Mercy is SUPER similar to TDS. To the point that they were basically my replacement band after I couldn't get with TDS anymore.

And, funny enough - their career took a similar path (brilliant debut that only gets better with time, quality followup, and an incredibly uneven and inconsistent third record that's largely unlistenable straight through because of weird sequencing choices but has some solid tracks sprinkled throughout).

It's just as strange to me to hear they aren't similar as it apparently is to folks who hear they are.

15. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

Were you disappointed? I definitely wasn’t. I think they just put out an incredible album.

16. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@AshlandATeam I listened to that new TDS album with that in mind, and started hearing more resemblance, though still mainly due to similar vocals at given moments. Also, I think Make The Best Of It is a fantastic record by the way.

...and to stay on the main topic - I've listened to that album maybe more than five times now, and I'm also definitely not disappointed at all.

17. Jdaniels

Regular

My dangerous summer section.