Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Curious Case of Bryan Colangelo and the Secret Twitter Account

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ben Detrick, writing at The Ringer:

In February, The Ringer received an anonymous tip that Bryan Colangelo, the Philadelphia 76ers’ president of basketball operations, had been secretly operating five Twitter accounts.

If you follow the NBA at all this story is a must read.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Most entertaining read of the day...I have no doubt it's all going to be proven and he'll be ousted by the end of the week. What a disgrace. Give the writer a Pulitzer, or whatever the sports equivalent would be :).

3. ReiAndCoke

It almost seems too stupid to be true. If it weren’t for the three burner accounts (that BC didn’t know the author was aware of) going private right after the Sixers were informed of two other ones, I’d lean toward this being a hoax. I mean, it’s not unfathomable that he’s being long-conned and that the person doing it is super on the inside and/or knew this was the only route the author could take to “prove” BC’s guilt and thus was watching the accounts like a hawk with the intent of setting any private the moment one went private.

That or he’s just an idiot.

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Every GM operates a ghost account that they never post with, or barely post with, just to monitor news and what's going on. Maybe on this level, if true, is rare, but this is definitely not an isolated incident of GM's/Execs having twitter accounts for alternative reasons.

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

The three accounts the writer did not mention all ghosting is just about proof Colangelo operated each account mentioned except for maybe, MAYBE, EricJr.
    At best I'd say Eric Jr is managed by his son, another family member or possibly a staff underling. I wonder if any of his family members/underlings were at that Delaware game?

6. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I've been following this story the past two days and the rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper. I wish the Sixers were never forced to get rid of Hinkie. At this point the damage is already done, players aren't going to trust him, other NBA executives may not trust him. If they want to land Lebron this off season they're going to need to make a change.

7. grimis16

Regular

Just discovered The Ringer over the weekend. Been missing Grantland for years, seems like the Ringer is at least a decent substitute.

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's too bad they weren't able to keep everyone that was at Grantland, and the tone is a bit different (not surprising, the internet has changed in that time too), but they still have a lot of the same personalities, and continue to add exciting new ones - particularly on the podcasting side of things (e.g. David Chang).

slickdtc likes this.
  9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah even if Eric Jr is not Colangelo, it is obviously someone he was talking to about some private info

10. Not getting Lebron, Colangelo or no