Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Criterion Collection • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I will say I own all of the CC Wes Anderson films and they're all awesome. Would recommend them to anyone who doesn't have them yet and is a Wes fan.

2. Morrissey

Trusted

I need to finish Assayas' filmography. Irma Vep is the earliest I have gone.

3. Anthony_

Man, this is such a good deal and there are a couple I would love to get (Personal Shopper, Blood Simple, Punch-Drunk Love, and The Hidden Fortress), but I don't think I can swing it right now unfortunately.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

We had a full retrospective last summer so I got to see most of his work. Cold Water is probably the best of his pre-Irma Vep work. Disorder is quite good too, especially if you're as fascinated by Assayas' love of post-punk, as I am.

5. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

while i get this for the most part, i definitely appreciate the expanded content that some more recent films get with criterion than the standard blu ray release. inside llewelyn davis comes to mind as an example.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Totally. Almost any film benefits from a Criterion release, which is why I’m not at all opposed to people wanting stuff like PTA films. Everyone comes to the collection for different things, and luckily they’ve done a great job appealing to so many people.

Reminds me, I still need to grab the Llewyn Davis release.

primavera likes this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

I learned about some of my favorite songs from his movie Carlos.

8. Anthony_

I haven't watched Inside Llewyn Davis since I saw it in the theater. I need to see it again, it's just so good.

9. primavera

maybe my favorite coen

10. Anthony_

I can never decide between Lebowski, No Country, O Brother, and Fargo, but Llewyn Davis is definitely in the mix. Probably #5 after those four.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

His taste in music is impeccable. The scene set to The Feelies track in Carlos is one of my favorite uses of music ever.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

primavera likes this.
  13. primavera

May is bringing Midnight Cowboy, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Beyond the Hills, Graduation (Mungiu, 2016), The Other Side of Hope, and Moonrise (Borzage, 1948) to the collection.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And Au Hazard Balthazar!

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The Mungiu’s are a great addition, especially Beyond the Hills. The Kaurismaki is excellent too. Another Bresson upgrade is always nice.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

Au Hasard Balthazar is the greatest film of all time. A better version has been long overdue.

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I miss film school.

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

We need some Joe in the collection

20. primavera

bull durham and sex, lies & videotapes in july

21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Ugh, I couldn't wait for the next Criterion sale and went ahead and bought the Fanny & Alexander box set. It's been a while since I've bought a Criterion...I think the last one I purchased was Blue is the Warmest Color.

TJ Wells likes this.
  22. TJ Wells May 1, 2018
    (Last edited: May 1, 2018)
    TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I've never seen a seen one Jane Campion film before, so I'm very excited to check this out this weekend. Sweetie/An Angel at My Table double feature.

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

I am dying for the Von Sternberg/Dietrich box set to be out already. It looks like one of their most exciting releases ever.

24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

JFC I didn’t know this was coming out. Goodness!

25. primavera

the new site looks great