Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Criterion Collection • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 15, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holy Motors just got put out on Shout Select

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

let's be real: most of these are just dreams of mine. I don't expect most to come to fruition

3. angrycandy

would be nice to finally get The Mirror on Criterion tho

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Coming Home, An Unmarried Woman, and Shortbus all come to mind quickly for me personally. Klute was on the top of my list before last year. There are tons from the 70s that are either out of print or only available in terrible copies or pretty bare bones releases.

DarkHotline and angrycandy like this.
  5. angrycandy

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? would be a great addition too

DarkHotline and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  6. username

hey you lil piss baby

Most of the stuff I want added is stuff I haven’t seen tbh. Stuff that only exists on janky subpar dvdrips or worse.

More specifically though, I would be so happy to see some Manoel de Oliveira added in. A legendary filmmaker whose career spans nearly a century (before he died, he was the oldest living/working director at age 106). He’s a well respected filmmaker in certain circles but I feel that his works don’t reach very far. It was nice to see The Strange Case is Angelica get a fair amount of end-of-decade appreciation. Abraham’s Valley seems like an obvious Criterion pick, The Cannibals would be an amazing outsider choice.

Above all though, I just want another World Cinema Project boxset. I know there’s a ton of Film Foundation restorations that I desperately want to be made publicly accessible. The first two are my favourite releases they’ve ever put out.

EASheartsVinyl and angrycandy like this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes! And that reminds me, Carnal Knowledge desperately needs one too. That may be one of my most wanted now that I think about it. Honestly just give me a massive Nichols box set and I’ll be happy.

angrycandy likes this.
  8. angrycandy

also give me rereleases of Alphaville and Pierrot le Fou please

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Alphaville got a pretty nice release from Kino last year! It’s light on supplements but their presentation is usually on par with Criterion.

angrycandy likes this.
  10. angrycandy

oh, nice. I'll look into that. thanks

11. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

If the rumored Bruce Lee boxset happens I’ll be very happy.

12. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

Godard's 'Goodbye to Language' is streaming on their channel starting today, wonderful film

13. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

We will be getting Parasite, Criterion edition

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Showing off Klute right up front, what an inspiration.

oncenowagain likes this.
  15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

incoming best-selling criterion ever?

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

MORAL TALES BACK IN PRINT ON BLU-RAY OH FUCK

17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah, that’s a must buy. The Arzner too.

Lmfao at Wildlife though.

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Releasing a movie with one of the best performances of the decade is lmao?

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Wildlife was so forgettable that I had to Google it.

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Good lord.

21. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think it’s a bad movie. Performance doesn’t mean that much to me and it’s definitely not enough for me to hold a film up on that merit alone.

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ok but releasing a movie that was widely critically acclaimed and had Oscar buzz for its leads isn’t some wild unexpected decision from criterion, I think

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

I didn’t say it is. I’m rolling my eyes at the choice because it’s not what I would like from them. They have access to all these Film Foundation restorations that literally are not accessible anywhere else, and when they are the quality is usually sub-VHS, so it’s always going to be a little frustrating when they release something that is widely available (I recognize that this film hasn’t had a Blu-Ray release in NA yet). I’ve noticed a shift in the near decade that I’ve been following their releases and I know that is largely in part due to the shift in film culture, but it still leaves me disappointed and Wildlife seems like the most extreme example of this shift. I also disagree that “Oscar buzz” has been a factor in their release strategy before the last few years. Maybe with sort of historic, canonically winner but not really with new releases.

Sorry if it made you unhappy that I don’t like that film but I was really just airing my grievances in a thread where it’s relevant.

24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

loved wildlife smh

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I know it’s a bit I always do but I’d like to see some old Korine get a better release