Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Criterion Collection • Page 14

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

jbaseball44 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  2. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

Ah, okay that makes me feel better

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Works for me now.

4. jbaseball44

yup, up and running

5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

there was a sale on the Before Trilogy?? ugggh, I've honestly never even seen it, but love Ethan Hawke and was sold on the Criterion collection of it after listening to him talk about it on a podcast, but as others have mentioned, as beautiful as these are they are not cheap haha.

6. jbaseball44

think there's a solid argument it's the greatest trilogy of all time. certainly up there with the dollars trilogy and kieslowki’s 3 colours.

jkauf and BackyardHero11 like this.
  7. BackyardHero11

Trusted

you're definitely not the first to mention that to me, which has only made me want to watch these even more haha. I did a quick search on the Criterion Channel app and it didn't look like they were on there. still looks like a rad service that i'll probably subscribe to

8. jbaseball44

I think they will be, its supposed to be their whole catalogue so it think they'll all be rolled out eventually

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Looks great so far, but I'm wondering when we'll see more from the other distributors who are licensing their films. They've got Kaili Blues up for now, which is a great start!

10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

They have a lot of cool little special features and all but hopefully they’ll end up adding more base-level stuff that other sites have had for a while now that I’m kinda disappointed they don’t have from the start:

•A simple library of all the movies available at a given time that you can sort by name, genre, year, maybe director, etc. I figured everything would at least be in the “Newly Added” right now since...duh. But they didn’t do that.

•A way for users to like or dislike any given film, and whatever algorithm helps the system make recommendations to you based on that. For someone like myself who really wants to dig deeper into film but isn’t well-versed enough to know more obscure and/or foreign films by name only, it’s hard to get a sense of that. It would be perfect if they were able to make it as complex as something like Letterboxd, where directors and actors and everyone else have their own pages that show their filmographies.

•I keep clicking the home button in the top left corner expecting it to take me to what is actually the “Now Playing” page but is just the general home page that nobody needs to go to if they’re already subscribed! Dumb little graphic design complaint but cmon lol

•For each film box, they have the title underneath but also have the title right in the box itself. Redundancy!! *shakes fist*

•With their lists (like “Essential Art House” there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what order the films are in. Not alphabetical and not by “impact” or fame or whatever.

The first two are really the only ones that I think would be essential for this but still. That being said, they way they’ve described it makes it seem like they want to filter things in and out faster than something like Netflix or Hulu (I didn’t have Filmstruck so idk how long they would have a given film up), so I’m not sure how much that would complicate those things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jkauf likes this.
  11. jbaseball44

have to say I’m really enjoying this so far and I’m sure there’s a lot more to come

12. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah, really enjoying it so far. Watched three shorts and a feature already yesterday. I really like the short+feature pairings they've put together.

13. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Started getting some playback errors on my Roku today. I was in the final 2-3 minutes of Solaris and it kept booting me off, it was real annoying.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m SO ready for Klute to finally come out in July. Probably my personal number one hope for the collection is happening after so long and I’m stoked.

15. username

hey you lil piss baby

A whole bunch of new stuff got added today. Some highlights:

Joanna Hogg's filmography (Exhibition, Archipelago, Unrelated)
    3 films by Kelly Reichardt (River of Grass, Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy)
    Claudia Weill's Girlfriends
    A couple films by Paolo and Vittorio Taviana
    Albert Brooks' Mother

I also saw two films by Hong Sang-soo (Claire's Camera and On the Beach at Night Alone) but they've since disappeared.

16. jbaseball44

really been loving everything about this. so glad it’s lived up to expectations

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ha, just came to post! Time to buy Klute and cry.

oncenowagain likes this.
  19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I wish I saw that 30 minutes ago. I just bought ‘A Touch of Zen’ on iTunes and I would have spent $5 extra to get bonus features.

oncenowagain likes this.
  20. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

If anyone wants, rec your top 3 criterion picks. I usually pick up a few this time of year when I’m off for summer.

21. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I just picked up Blue Velvet and Funny Games during the flash sale. add Hausu and you can't go wrong

SlappinCups and oncenowagain like this.
  22. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Thanks! Already have Hausu and just watched Blue Velvet on Prime last night.

SlappinCups and angrycandy like this.
  23. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

3 Women

SlappinCups and oncenowagain like this.
  24. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I've been binging on everything by Agnes Varda and Jacques Demy over the past couple of weeks. "One Sings, the Other Doesn't" (Varda) and "Donkey Skin" (Demy) have stuck out the most for me so far.

oncenowagain likes this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Is it cheating to say the America Lost and Found box set?

oncenowagain likes this.