Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. flask

Trusted Supporter

Oh ok I live in California so Coffee Bean has always just been another chain like Starbucks to me.

2. they have a physical location in boston and i've had them actually on draft, very very good

Nate_Johnson, bodkins and Ken like this.
  3. danjaydub

I tell everyone I know about how good an Aeropress is. Super easy, super consistent.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  4. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been making cold brew in my Chemex and filtering it twice makes all the difference. I can’t recommend ReAnimator’s coffee enough.

williek311 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I typically get Chicago’s Dark Matter but in an effort to save some cash I got Trader Joe’s Dark Roast and it’s tasty as hell with a splash of milk.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Hey everyone! New to this thread but definitely want to join the conversation. I'll try and read through most of the thread when I get a chance tomorrow. Glad to see there's a coffee thread :)
    Pretty sure they were at Riot Fest last year serving some of their cold brew on tap and oh my god it was delicious

Nate_Johnson and chewbacca110 like this.
  7. flask

Trusted Supporter

Amazing how just buying a new tamp can bring up the consistency of espresso. We’ve also been playing with an Acaia scale. Really nice but really pricey and I think a little unnecessary in a cafe setting. Would love one for home though.

pauljgreco likes this.
  8. bodkins

Trusted

Love my Acaia. You get anything fancy as far as the new tamp goes?

9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Just a basic tamp off espresso parts. All of ours are either chipped or bent so even just a new basic tamp with a flat and uniform surface made a difference.

bodkins likes this.
  10. bodkins

Trusted

I've been getting a lot of coffee related stuff over the past few months, from a combo of the holidays and my wife and I ramping up our coffee pop-up side hustle. I think I'll post a few pieces of equipment here and there and some general thoughts in case anyone is looking to add/upgrade their set up.

In the meantime, not sure if anyone here is familiar with Department of Brewology. They do these excellent coffee related prints, shirts, pins, etc. In addition, they do collaboration series with various roasters across the world. They're gearing up for their 3rd collection. You can buy the whole set (6 months) or month by month. Its $35 a month I believe. You get coffee, a print, stickers, brew guide, and usually a couple other goodies thrown in. We've subscribed to the last two collections and they're always great, a highlight of our month. First box is The Barn out of Berlin.

At the very least, check out their prints, they're awesome.

flask likes this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

Department of Brewology is tight.

bodkins likes this.
  12. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Recently at my local joint:
    “I’ll have a cappuccino.”
    “You want that wet or dry?”
    “What the fuck are you talking about.”

13. flask

Trusted Supporter

Lmao

14. anthony

recently brought in a really really high end (for me) pavoni espresso machine for my office, and have been sort of nursing double shot espressos, all day every day for the last couple months.

15. Mr. Serotonin Jan 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2018)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Great question.

coleslawed and muttley like this.
  16. anthony

Dry will have essentially zero milk. Just a double shot of espresso and foam. Wet would be like a frothy latte.

muttley likes this.
  17. muttley

He explained that afterwards. I’d never heard that before but I don’t order that drink very often.

anthony likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

What he should’ve done was just make you a cappuccino. As if coffee menus in most shops aren’t convoluted enough.

coleslawed, BirdPerson and muttley like this.
  19. muttley

That was my outlook at the time haha. I respect the fact that some people take their coffee game to the next level, but I am not that guy.

20. bodkins

Trusted

In that scenario, I would expect the barista to know if it was requested by the customer, not the inverse. Anyways, hope it was good either way.

21. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Hey thanks for this. Signed up w your code

scott likes this.
  22. Thanks! Got an email too, hope you enjoy it!

23. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I should hang out in this thread. Y'all would shudder at my coffee pot though.

In my free time I play around with flavor pairings of coffee and cannabis. What are all your favorite arabicas and robustas? Gimme some recs!

Mr. Serotonin and Nate_Johnson like this.
  24. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

#starbucksculture

bodkins likes this.
  25. bodkins

Trusted

I went in the other day to try their blonde roast espresso.

Me: "Hey! I'd just like a blonde roast espresso please"
    Barista: "Ok! How many shots?"
    Me: "Oh! Hmm. Two I guess, thanks."
    Barista: "Ok, so a doppio then?"
    Me: "Sure.... a 'doppio'."

Nate_Johnson and Ryan Garner like this.