Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I honestly don't even know what ours is at work. We order it in bulk because we go through it like animals. This is how oblivious I am to 'good' coffee. I feel like if I enjoyed coffee black, I'd be more into discovering different beans/grounds/roasts but I don't like it black so as long as I'm putting a cream or cream and sugar in it, it kind of all tastes the same to me.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got myself a French press, made coffee with some real good beans from Starbucks and am on the hype train.. can't believe I've been drinking drip my whole life.. what are the best beans for French press and why??

coleslawed likes this.
  3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Beans aren't really better than one another in relation to the brewing method ; it's just your taste. Certain brewing methods arguably bring out more of the flavor within...French press /
    Pour over brings out more flavor than drip IMO

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Definitely order some single origin beans from FourBarrel or Stumptown...two of the best Roasters in the US.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Thanks! Will look into it

6. flask

Trusted Supporter

Quality of the beans is definitely the biggest factor. Small batch roasters usually have better quality control similar to a craft brew beer vs a national brewer like Budweiser or something.

SEANoftheDEAD, bodkins and coleslawed like this.
  7. flask

Trusted Supporter

Roasters I fully endorse:
    Heart
    Four Barrel
    ReAnimator
    Sight glass
    Brandywine
    49th Parallel
    Portola
    Slate
    Bar Nine

8. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

My absolute favorite roaster is Counter Culture out of North Carolina. Have never had a bad bag from them and I find a lot of their varieties to be VERY noticeably different. They're what got me started in "fancier" methods of making coffee at home (more than just grind and drip) and they still continue to be my favorite option.

mercury likes this.
  9. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend into my French Press.

good golly miss molly.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My GF went and bought a giant tub of McDonald's McCafe breakfast blend. Now I'm obsessed with it lol. I can't believe it. I've always hated McDonald's coffee and I'm not even a Light kind of guy.

11. bodkins

Trusted

All super solid. A few other of my favorites in addition would be Onyx, Crema, Verve, and Passenger.

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea can't wait to get some other beans but I really fan taste the difference with French press

13. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Our Saeco broke and I'm crying :verysad:

14. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

For anyone in the Philly area:
    The Buzz: A Craft Coffee, Beer & Spirits Festival
    Philly is already known as a craft-beer city, but as one event at the Free Library’s Parkway Central Branch will prove this weekend, we’re about much more than some fermented wort. Home Brewed Events’ “The Buzz” will bring together more than 20 coffee, tea, beer, and liquor vendors for a day of sampling, with Balboa Catering & Supper Club providing small bits (including vegan and vegetarian options). With offerings from such companies as St. Benjamin Brewing and Cooper River Distillers to Inspired Brews and ReAnimator Coffee, all you have to do is pick your poison(s). — N.V.

5-9 p.m. Saturday, Free Library of Philadelphia, 1901 Vine St., freelibrary.org.

15. MegaButterfree

Regular

Currently drinking some Dunkin' Donuts coffee! :-)

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

DD coffee is the best haha

MegaButterfree likes this.
  17. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I'm in love with DD cold brew, its also like half the price of what I'd pay at my local coffee shops for a cold brew so thats also a major plus

18. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

DD cold brew was a really nice surprise, I admittedly love the glorified chocolate milk they pass off as regular ice coffee but was definitely not expecting them to put out something that's actually "good" coffee (that you can drink black no less) at this point in the game. And it really is good imo.

On the home coffee front I got a subscription to Bean Box for Christmas and it's been cool. I'd say every month has something I'd call excellent and then 3 other very good varieties, with maybe 2 actual duds in the 5 months I've gotten so far. (You get about 2 cups from each of the 4 packs they send you.) I've been missing George Howell beans lately but they're a good half hour away so I just can't be bothered recently.

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Saw this thread was a thing, came to say something substantially similar to this, made sure I searched the word "Rook" beforehand, hence this quote.

For real though. Rook. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

ECV likes this.
  20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

ever had nitro cold brew coffee? local bagel shop has some and I kinda wanna try it

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  21. flask

Trusted Supporter

It's just cold brew on tap so it has a little bit of a head to it like a Guinness

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

makes it taste a little creamier, too.

23. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

You should totally try one, they're great!

coleslawed and Jacob like this.
  24. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Nitro cold brew is amazing, I've had it on tap and out of a can at a few places. It gives black coffee a nice creamy feel without having to add anything to the coffee itself. If anything its worth a try if you're curious.

Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  25. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Noted. Been meaning to try it for a while but have always hesitated. Didn't wanna spend the money on something if I run the risk of disliking it.