Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I had an incredible espresso shot the other day (and I never get espresso) and it was good in all the ways my recent pourover experiences have been disappointing and now I'm like fuuckk am I about to turn into an espresso person

josephcissell likes this.
  2. bodkins

Trusted

Welcome.

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

When I managed a shop we carried their coffee for a while and they were the nicest people we ever worked with. They sent us free t-shirts for everyone who worked here. And their coffee is awesome.

4. MattNCheeze

Trusted

I'm usually a two to three cupper by noon kind of guy and so far I only had one and its almost 12:30 and this second cup is such a nice little push.

5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Firstly, I know I'm quoting a 5 month old post but whatever.

We don't have Coffee Bean in the Buffalo region, just Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and Dunkin' Donuts....they are all literal garbage swill juice compared our only local pour-over roaster (Public Espresso). I've also tried Blue Bottle and FourBarrel in San Francisco, StumpTown in Chicago, and they were absolutely incredible pour-overs....night and day compared to anywhere else.

Having said that, it may have not been the method necessarily, just the beans themselves.

6. The beans are always going to be the most important part in getting a good cup, honestly.

In terms of pour-overs - I've been in 3rd wave coffee since 2009 (although I thankfully exited that world as a profession earlier this year) and I'm as much of a snob/connoisseur as anyone... and as good as the cup I waited 25 minutes and paid $7 for at Four Barrel was, I just can't call it worth it when, as I said, I can get a perfectly enjoyable cup from a Coffee Bean or my own kitchen. To each their own!

(Yes, Starbucks is garbage. Never been to the other two, they're rare/nonexistent out here.)

7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

settling into a new coffee routine this year. got a Toddy cold-brew system for Christmas, so I can make a big batch of that on Sundays, and can grab a quick cup before work.
    then on days/mornings off, I can take the time to brew and enjoy a french press or chemex.

bodkins likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

whats the best kind of beans to buy for your home coffee maker?

9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Whatever you like?

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i meant brand not flavor. ive been using dunkin's beans and eh id like something better but im not sure what, all ive had besides dunkin beans are starbucks beans. i feel like theres gotta be better options

11. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I usually stick to buying organic whole bean from a local roaster in my area, though it can be a bit pricey depending on the origin of the bean. Its the freshest coffee you can get without roasting it yourself which seems like a pain in the butt. Also fair/direct trade is cool. And I'd stay away from any big brands like starbucks. They over roast their beans to the point of burning them so they taste shitty. Dunks is a bit better imo but I'm a biased New Englander.

coleslawed and sophos34 like this.
  12. flask

Trusted Supporter

Where are you from? Check out some local roasters in your area if there are any. Or your local market might have some of the bigger specialty roasters like Stumptown or Intelligentsia.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I just moved to Philly, west Philly specifically the college part of it so that's a good call, I haven't checked out the locally run coffee shops here yet, I'll hit one up tomorrow

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I can't believe how prominent Dunkin is up here, I mean there's a few around in St. Louis but damn y'all really love that shit up here in the northeast

15. flask

Trusted Supporter

DUDE you have to go to ReAnimator they're without a doubt my favorite coffee roaster.

pauljgreco and sophos34 like this.
  16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I get mine at a bulk food store. no idea how fresh it actually is but the roast is good

17. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Re-Animator coffee in Philly.

Edit: Ha didn't even see other dude rec them. Definitely the best coffee shop I've been to in Philly.

sophos34 likes this.
  18. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

only place i the world where a regluar coffee is 3 creams, 3 sugars haha its why we all drive like maniacs. Its the caffeine with a bonus sugar rush

sophos34 likes this.
  19. bodkins

Trusted

I believe Square One, a roaster out of Lancaster, has a shop in Philly. I've been to their Lancaster location and would recommend for sure.

sophos34 likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

thanks everyone gonna check these places out next week for sure

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I drink a disgusting amount of coffee every single day. Normally I'll drink two 16 oz coffees in the morning and then two more 16 oz coffees in the afternoon...every day.

For someone who drinks coffee as much as I do, I really don't know anything about different beans, grounds or roasts. I just drink whatever is at work or at my house.

I also hate Starbucks.

22. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I drink Starbucks because it has the most caffeine content out of any of the other chains.

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Lion Coffee (Hawaiian coffee) in San Diego is the best coffee I've ever had. I think they just rebranded to Shaka Coffee or something, but whatever. As long as they don't change their menu, I'm good.

David Kennedy's coffee isn't bad either. Probably a close second of mine without being bias towards him being in Box Car Racer and AVA lol.

Other than that, I can't go wrong with a Dunkin' Donuts coffee, but there's literally one DD in all of San Diego. :(

24. bodkins

Trusted

No worries, you're still like 10,000+ mg short of a lethal dose of caffeine.

25. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I never drink the coffee at my work, its the worst.