Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Rook Coffee Roasters in central Jersey is the best coffee I've ever had. Seriously puts every other cup to shame.

bodkins likes this.
  2. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Anyone here familiar with Kiskadee Coffee Co. In Plymouth, MA? Their house blend is by far my favorite cup of coffee.

bodkins likes this.
  3. bodkins

Trusted

Haven't tried them yet. Are the a shop and roaster or what?

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

i just put banana liqueur in my coffee this morning because I was curious and hot damn is this delicious.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

its not fancy or anything but ive started brewing hot and then just refrigerating to make my own coffee, both at home using a large pitcher and at work before i leave or before lunch for an afternoon cup. it's been excellent.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Aj LaGambina

Pretty sure both, but I'll snoop around and see if they roast their own coffee, for sure.

bodkins likes this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I usually make a full French press, but I'll only drink a cup in the morning, so I put the rest in a growler I keep in the fridge, so by Saturday I've got a growler full of cold press to enjoy.

8. Aj LaGambina

They are in fact a roaster! Now I feel less bad about spending $10 on what I think is barely a pound of their beans.

Side note: tried the Dunkin' Donuts cold brew today. I'm actually really enjoying it!

bodkins likes this.
  9. bodkins

Trusted

I'm going to be bottling my own cold brew this week. I've brewed cold brew before, but want to bottle it for my fiancée and I to take to work. Hopefully sealing it in bottles will help extend the life of the coffee. May post some results!

Aj LaGambina likes this.
  10. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I need to get a new coffee grinder. Just not getting an even grind and I want to be able to have a coarseness setting.

11. bodkins

Trusted

It's a bit pricy, but I love the Baratza Encore.

12. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

Was pleasantly surprised by D&D's cold brew, it's got a great flavor and is slightly sweet. Prefer it over Starbucks, which I generally will pick over D&D when in a bind. Lack of good shops in the 5 mile radius of me wishes I live IN Boston and not just near.

I got a fancy Cold Brew maker for my birthday and I'm a little disappointed by the flavor that came out, I've had more success with my French Press :(.

Aj LaGambina likes this.
  13. williek311

I always say i'm going to make my own cold brew but I always procrastinate and just make a pot of coffee in the morning.

Aj LaGambina likes this.
  14. chris

Trusted Supporter

I'd like to make my own cold brew, it seems super easy to do I just need a bigger pitcher or something to make it in.

And yeah I desperately need a burr grinder. The little electric blade grinder I have is passable, but the uneven grind is killing the consistency of my chemex pours

15. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

A burr grinder really improved the flavor and consistency of my coffee. Actually (and YMMV), Target has the Bodum Electric Burr Grinder on clearance right now. $100 grinder and I just picked one up for $50 and I'm loving it so far, especially the ease it's added to my process (coming from a Hario Skerton hand grinder). Well worth it.

bodkins and chris like this.
  16. chris

Trusted Supporter

Dope, thanks for the heads up

17. josephcissell

Regular

I know there are plenty of better things out there, but as far as quick and convenient home stuff goes, I love my little Nespresso machine dearly. As a college student who never has any time for anything, it’s quick and pretty darn good for what it is. Hard to have a bad morning on a smooth double shot.

18. nomemorial

Time spent in Europe has made me really appreciate Nespresso machines. So quick and simple (and I swear everywhere I stayed there had one at the ready) - I'd much sooner use one of those than a standard drip machine (coming from someone who swears by Chemex/French press preparation)

josephcissell likes this.
  19. josephcissell

Regular

Yeah! I’ve been pretty much blown away by how quickly and easily you can get pretty decent coffee. For me at least, the overall package is well worth the potential tradeoffs.

20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This conversation has inspired me to acquire a Nespresso machine. Any suggestions for which model?

josephcissell likes this.
  21. josephcissell

Regular

I have the least expensive model called the Inissia. The awesome thing is that they all have the same 19 bar pump, so they should all brew pretty similarly. With the more expensive models you just get nicer looking materials (ie. stainless instead of plastic for instance) and a few other small features. The Inissia is going for about $95 on Amazon if you’re not picky about color right now. I got mine as a combo with the milk frother as well, which is going for about $135 right now, also on Amazon. Both have free (zero marginal cost) Prime shipping if you’re a member.

22. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I've really started getting into cold brew over the past month or so. Visited Burlington, VT this past weekend with my girlfriend and went to a liquor store to get some beer but the amount of local "craft" cold brews I found there was surprising to me so ended up getting a few and regretting not getting more of it. I don't tend to see smaller coffee brands like that where I live in MA and wishing I could find some similar stuff because hot damn they were great. Anyone from MA know of any good local brands that bottle or can cold brew? I'm having a hard time finding much.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

oh fuck yeah i need this thread coffee is everything

bodkins and Aj LaGambina like this.
  24. williek311

I went to ReAnimator coffee in Philly and got a cold brew and it was arguably the best cold brew coffee I've ever had.

flask, ECV, bodkins and 1 other person like this.
  25. nomemorial

I think my favorite cold brew is still Blue Bottle's New Orleans Iced - had it once in NYC years ago and couldn't get over it. It comes with cream/sweetened by default, which I thought was interesting (I'm a black coffee person in every other avenue), but it's just too good. My wife has bought me two of the "make-at-home" kits since and I go through the entire bag in like a week.