Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 19

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hell yeah I love what I’ve had from them. With that being said, how long can I let ground coffee go before it becomes like a waste of buying good coffee? I know most people say to grind right before you brew

2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

you have 4-6 weeks for sure. Worth spending 25 bucks to buy a conical burr grinder tho just to be sure you can grind right before you buy bc yes whole bean is better. Keep it in the freezer if you’re trying to use over a period of longer than 6 weeks.

also for my money persimmon coffee on Frankford and Girard is the best coffee in the city bar none. Ultimo prolly second for me and yes Reanimator also solid

OhTheWater likes this.
  3. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I’ve been using a Nespresso for the past few months and I love it.

4. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

How have I not been in this thread yet? I don't drink alcohol, and I kind of treat coffee the way most people talk about craft beers/homebrewing. I have an Breville Bambino Plus for espresso, just got an Oxo 8 cup for drip, along with a Baratza Encore ESP for grinding, and I also mess around with my Aeropress a lot. Preferred drinks are an americano in the morning, and a hot salted caramel latte in the afternoons since the temps have dropped. Most of my coffee comes from local roasters, which I'm lucky to have a lot of good ones close by here in Birmingham. Domestique Coffee blends have been my espresso go to blends for a while.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I’ve transitioned over to primarily brewing Chemex over the last few years after being a French Press enthusiast for a long time. kind of coincided with a move to more floral/fruity roasts from darker ones.

I did pick up an Aeropress recently, but haven’t quite nailed down the technique. any tips/go-to recipes there?

cashlion and Micah511 like this.
  6. Micah511

with my Encore ESP, I have it set to 22, which is right outside the espresso range of 0-20. So pretty fine grounds. I do the inverted method most of the time (put it upside down on plunger barely in the press, supposed to keep extraction from happening too early in the brew), and it's not that scientific. I use the scoop that came with it and get it "heaping", put it and fill it with boiling water, stir it, then let it brew for a minute before flipping it onto my cup and pressing.

I've never used a chemex, but they are such a simple, nice looking coffee brewer. I might ask for one for Christmas. I've never done any pour overs.

coleslawed likes this.
  7. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I got a Ratio 6 earlier this year after doing Chemex for 5+ years. Absolutely love the Ratio 6 and the cups it produces. Incredible machine.

Micah511 likes this.
  8. Micah511

Nice, that one is definitely a sleek looking machine. You like the separate filter basket stacking system?

9. aspeedomodel

I don't hate the stacking system. Honestly, I think some reviews play up it's annoyance. I don't think about it tbh. Once you get a bean/water/grind ratio down, it is dead-on EVERY TIME. Lovely cup each time which is what I wanted. I did some A/B with my Chemex and it was right there with it.

The water tank being non-removable is more annoying, but I just have to slide it out from under the upper cabinets to fill, so it's whatever. But THAT is more of a hassle to me haha.

New Ratio 4 was announced, cheaper (like $114 on Kickstarter I think) and has removable tank and smaller size. Super tempting.

Micah511 likes this.
  10. helloiamzach

Regular

Hello. I'm a coffee newbie here, so go easy on me. My knowledge is minimal at best.

I've basically been slowly trying to get into coffee over the past year or so, as I figure it's a far healthier alternative to energy drinks whilst still giving me that caffeine pick up to get me through the day.

I've started on lattes and mochas to begin with, which I've definitely enjoyed more and more the more often I've had them, so feel like progressing now is a good time.

What would you say is the general path from here to growing my palette for stronger coffee? Recommendations on coffee machines/pods as a newbie that are reasonably priced would also be appreciated. TYIA.

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Coffeeeeee

My current go to when I don't make it at home:

Vanilla Sweet Cream Nitro Cold Brew
    16oz in a Venti cup, add ice and cinnamon.
    Also the option to add vanilla sweet cream cold foam if you want it a little sweeter.

Super good, try it!

12. Micah511

aspeedomodel and cashlion like this.
  13. aspeedomodel

cashlion and Micah511 like this.
  14. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

aspeedomodel likes this.
  15. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Looking at electric kettles for some French Press and tea and such. Anyone have one they could recommend? Thanks.

Micah511 likes this.
  16. Micah511

I have this one, and it’s worked so far.

Electric Kettle, Offacy Gooseneck Kettle with Temperature Control, Pour Over Kettle & Coffee Kettle, 100% Food Grade 304 Stainless Steel, Tea Kettle 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.9L, Light Green https://a.co/d/9Z6FC7G

billyboatman likes this.
  17. billyboatman Nov 24, 2023
    (Last edited: Nov 24, 2023)
    billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

18. Micah511

billyboatman likes this.
  19. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I should have known haha. He’s a big coffee guy.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

as long as it has a gooseneck/good control of the flow you're good.

cashlion and billyboatman like this.
  21. Micah511

Got a good hand grinder off Marketplace and got a Chemex for Christmas. Holy crap, making real espresso was pretty life changing, but brewing drip coffee with the Chemex is also wild. No bitterness and super fruity tasting using the light roast I normally use for espresso.

22. I’ve been getting back into pour overs after a period of burnout and have really been enjoying the co-fermented beans I’ve had from a couple roasters, KOS and Brandywine. Both are from Colombian producer, Rodrigo Sanchez, and are unlike any coffees I’ve had. They’re on the pricier side but worth it in my experience.