Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 17

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. bodkins

Trusted

Scale will help a ton! From portioning your coffee, to flow rates (if pour over) and total water.

I’d say yes, in my experience they are different enough. Similarities for sure, they are both full immersion brewers. The difference is the Aeropress makes use of a filter as well, essentially making it a hybrid brewer. To me, flavor is typically “cleaner” with the Aeropress, meaning more flavor clarity. Not to mention it’s also hella easy to clean ha. Plus they’re just kinda cool to be honest.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Do people have a preferred non dairy creamer? I usually just use half and half but my wife was wanting something different and this Oatly I have is not it for me.

3. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Yes, I'm using Chemex which I feel is particularly finicky haha. Going to start shopping for scale!

bodkins likes this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

oh, man, I love oat milk as my creamer. add a little maple syrup or honey, ooooooh man it’s delicious.

almond is good as well, and a little more naturally sweet.

waking season likes this.
  5. bodkins

Trusted

Any kitchen scale should get the job done, but I prefer the ones that have a built in timer as well. Purely convenience since your phone timer could function exactly the same. I just like seeing weight and time in one place.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  6. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I have a nice Hario scale. Would recommend.

7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Got a $20 Escali one from Target. Confirmed the ratio I have been using is pretty accurate

8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Just got a Hario scale with built-in timer delivered today. Thanks guys!

coleslawed and bodkins like this.
  9. bodkins

Trusted

Very nice! That's the one I used to use, great choice. Enjoy brewing with it!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  10. T_Zam

Man, do you use a manual grinder? I mean, I purchased a french press recently, but everyone is telling me that I should get a grinder and try dork roasted coffee which is better for French press. Is that true? Btw, I looked through the market and found some here. If you have one of those let me know, pls

11. flask

Trusted Supporter

all of those grinders look solid. The biggest thing you want is that it’s a burr grinder as that’ll give you a more even grind than other types of grinders. As for what I grind it with....I actually get it pre ground at the shop lol. Not the best option but I don’t have the money for a grinder right now

T_Zam likes this.
  12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm gonna be traveling this week so I bought an Aeropress Go, and I've been trying different ways of brewing with it. The straightforward way yields a pretty small amount of coffee for me, so I'd probably need to brew three cups to match my usual two. The concentration method, however, I'm not confident in yet. I tried it once, used the same amount of coffee and filled the cup to the same level, but the coffee tasted much weaker

bodkins and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  13. CameronGrah

I'm actually a coffee nerd, however sometimes it seems to me that drinking tea is much cheaper than drinking coffee al the time. It's mainly due to the reason that you need to buy special pods for coffee machine and there are many stuff to replace or manage if you want to have qualitative delicious coffee. Not long ago I discovered Keurig vs Nespresso review where there are even special tables to understand what is the difference, I've personally decided to order keurig after this review. Try to check it, it may really help to make a wise choice for your budget and convenience!

Ben and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  14. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I have a cold brew maker that was $20 and have a coffee subscription for $30 / month for 2 bags and free shipping. $30 for 30 cups of coffee is $1 / day, which seems pretty cheap to me. Of course it’ll get expensive if you buy a top of the line coffee maker and want fancy drinks with foam and the like.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I spend way too much on coffee but it’s less than buying it at Gregory’s coffe, and I’m saving a lot on my work commute. Makes WFH much more enjoyable.

16. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

If those are solid beans (as I have to imagine most subscriptions are) $30 for two bags is not bad at all, especially shipped.

Since they're pretty cheap and I couldn't find Chemex filters anywhere, I bought a v60 recently to compare to Chemex (my go-to) and Kalita. I'm not convinced there's a huge difference in outcome over the Kalita, but I've probably made my single best cup of recent times with the v60 so I'm a believer. One of these days I'll try to figure out the fairest way to do a side by side. Also recently tried the long french press method - not as good as pour over to my tastes, but really good nonetheless.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I purchased an 8 cup pour over glass thingy for $15. The best $15 spent in awhile haha. The difference in taste is insane.

$10 for 2lbs of Kona whole beans from Winco.

My grinder was $10 and it’s at least 7 years old.

Since my wife is pregnant I’ve been drinking solo, so the big coffee maker has been neglected a bit.

18. KeynDooee

Living Legend

I just got a Baratza Encore. Has anyone here done the burr upgrade?

coleslawed likes this.
  19. bodkins

Trusted

Nice! Baratza grinders are a game changer. I haven’t had an Encore personally in a while, so I haven’t done the burr upgrade myself. That said, I can tell you it’s super easy to work on their grinders yourself. I’m not very mechanical and have done a couple upgrades/repairs over the year with no problems. Quality wise, I believe the burr upgrade is the same as what you get with the Virtuoso+. My brother in law has one and I can confirm the grind quality is a noticeable step up from the Encore. All in all I’d recommend doing the burr swap if you have the funds. Enjoy your grinder!

20. KeynDooee

Living Legend

Thank you. It was $97 shipped, which I couldn't pass up. I'm using it for cold brew with local beans. I can't find any working links for the parts, so I'll try to track them down in 2021.

bodkins likes this.
  21. bodkins

Trusted

Great deal! I believe this is the burr you want, see if this link works:
    M2 Cone Burr
    I want to say it’s recommended that you email Baratza first with your Encore serial number to confirm your grinder is set to accept the burr as is. Some older ones I believe need some additional work before you can install the new burr. Baratza has crazy fast response times, they’ll get you taken care of.
    Also I think it’s about time for me to order some new burrs and all this talk has me ready to pull the trigger haha.

22. Nick1998 Dec 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 25, 2020)
    Nick1998

Hi! I want to share my favorite home-made coffee recipe here:

• In a cup take 1.5 teaspoons of instant coffee. Also, add 1.5 tablespoons of sugar or add as per taste.
    • Add 3 tablespoons of hot boiling water. You can heat water in an electric kettle or in a small pan. ¼ cup of water can also be added.
    • First, mix the coffee and sugar with water.
    • Then begin to stir briskly and beat coffee for 3 to 4 minutes. You can take a break after 1 to 2 minutes and then continue if your hands start aching.
    • Beat the coffee till its color lightens and you see a frothy layer on top.
    • Then take 1 cup milk in a small but heavy saucepan and on a medium to medium-high flame boil it.
    • Let the milk come to a boil.
    • Now pour the milk into a glass jar or a thermos flask.
    • Do not use any plastic bottle or jar. You can use a steel bottle also. A glass jar with a handle helps while shaking as the milk is hot. 10. There should be a good layer of frothy foam on the milk.
    • Here’s the coffee brew in the cup still with foam on top
    • Pour the foamy milk into the cup.
    • After adding ⅓ or ½ of the milk to the coffee, stir with a spoon. You can even move the cup so that the milk gets mixed with the coffee.
    • Pour remaining milk.
    • Add the frothy layer also.
    • 16.Serve the frothy cafe-style hot coffee straightway.
    • You can even sprinkle some cinnamon powder or cocoa powder on top. Enjoy this homemade cafe-style hot coffee. This source will be really interesting.

bodkins likes this.
  23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

been using Trade for my beans lately, and some dank new ones showed up this morning from Oren.
    picked up some 1/2 oat 1/2 dairy milk cause it was on sale, but it goes bad faster than plain oat.
    did not realize the milk was over a week bad until after I had mixed it in with my fresh brewed coffee :(

waking season likes this.
  24. oh the WORST feeling!!

chewbacca110 and coleslawed like this.
  25. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I recently started to use Trade as well and had no idea what I was missing before it. I absolutely love it.

coleslawed likes this.