Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 13

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. chris

Trusted Supporter

The guy who runs the Ethiopian market at the end of my block has started roasting coffee in their back room so I've been buying that almost exclusively now

2. no coincidence that I get this in my inbox just now

[​IMG]

David Parke likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ipsento is in Bucktown. I recommend it if you’re ever in that area.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  4. chris

Trusted Supporter

my gf brought a bag of intelligentsia coffee back from Chicago and it rules

BoldType likes this.
  5. flask

Trusted Supporter

I did my training at Intelligentsia and I still have like 10 free coffee tokens for them. I’m just never in LA and if I am I’m at other shops.

bodkins likes this.
  6. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

This forum is waking up. Just like your soul after a warm cup of coffee

7. bodkins

Trusted

Last week or so I’ve been brewing a couple of Ethiopia’s (one washed/one natural) from Brandywine Coffee Roasters. Just got in a Hambela and a Colombia from Verve that I’ll be brewing up this week. Like others have said, whole bean and grinding myself. Pretty much only on the Kalita cuz I’m lazy and haven’t been switching up brewers lately, my wife generally makes hers in our Ratio Eight (because she wakes up before me cuz I’m lazy). Currently sipping on some La Calombe cold brew (again, lazy). It’s pretty inexpensive when you buy the large container of it and honestly isn’t that bad as far as industrial cold brews go.

When not extracted correctly, coffee can get salty and this is part of what gives that flavor, but I’ve also had coffees that straight taste like meat. This is generally an unintended off flavor based off of roasting. Marinara is another one I sometimes will find that’s a big “no” from me. Speaking of La Calombe cold brew, I’ve noticed that after it’s been open for five or so days it gets a little “meaty”. Just had some the other day and had that exact though. It’s not pleasant when it happens.

8. SuperCoolFool

I have to tell you something....I eat lightbulbs

Good to hear the response, next time i make cold brew i'll be sure to leave it out for a week to try it out ;)

9. BTDandFeelingThis

Right now I have three bags of Bones coffee. S’mores, Chocolate Orange, and Blueberry.

Know which one I miss? The limited edition Hotbox Roasters ‘Hawthorne Heights- Bad Frequencies’ blend. Light hints of cherry and nutmeg...oh it was delicious

10. bodkins

Trusted

lol. In the name of science. Do it.

11. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I think Dark Matter Giant Steps is the best coffee I've ever made at home. Man oh man is it amazing.

Been on a Dark Matter kick since it's so close to me.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  12. aspeedomodel

Haha damn just saw this! Great minds...

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Giant Steps is great hot and cold!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  14. aspeedomodel

Never been much for cold coffee, but it has been my jam on the Chemex lately. I also tried their blend A Love Supreme which is also quite good. But Giant Steps is like what I look for in coffee haha.

15. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

How did I never know this thread existed!? I have to shoutout Water Street Coffee here in Kalamazoo for being awesome, but I'm going to be moving to Denver in August and will need a new obsession. Does anyone have recommendations?

BoldType and chhholly123 like this.
  16. bodkins

Trusted

Both Commonwealth and Huckleberry are out of Denver I believe. Lots of good coffee there for sure.

JBoch and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  17. BTDandFeelingThis

I wish there was some cool local coffee places near Nashville but alas all we get is BBQ and terrible coffee unless you order online

18. bodkins

Trusted

Whut lol

coleslawed likes this.
  19. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Middlestate and Sweet Bloom are the two best roasters in Denver, imo. Commonwealth is up there though, and the owner is a great dude who treats his staff and customers super well. My favorite shops are Session, Lula Rose, and ACR Tennyson... all in different neighborhoods and serving different roasters.

BoldType, bodkins and JBoch like this.
  20. bodkins

Trusted

+1 for Sweet Bloom

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Iced coffee is life but I don’t make it enough. mostly because I only have a small grinder and always forget to grind for cold brew when I’m buying beans.

been on a Ruby Roasters/french press kick lately.

bodkins and David Parke like this.
  22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

:chin:
    isn’t CREMA one of, like, the best coffeehouses out there? or are they way overhyped.

23. bodkins

Trusted

Crema is most excellent. I couldn't tell if their post was serious or not...

BTDandFeelingThis and coleslawed like this.
  24. BTDandFeelingThis

I have never heard of CREMA until today

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

:eyeglass: