Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Coffee Thread • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Wtf?!

2. Anyone try Bones Coffee Company? I like that they sell flavor sample sizes of all their flavors. Looking to get some different things going for my work coffee.

3. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

My wife brought Gustos coffee back from Puerto Rico and holy wow is it good.

Ryan Garner and Nate_Johnson like this.
  4. anthony

i absolutely refuse to use starbucks lingo the odd times when i have to go to starbucks. i order a small, medium, or large coffee. upthepunx.

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Have any of you ordered from Dark Matter before? I’ve been on a ReAnimator kick but just finished my last bag and want to branch out a bit.

6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

DM is my favorite coffee. I gotchu.

If you like roasty/dark/chocolatey: Giant Steps
    If you like a lighter everyday cup: A Love Supreme
    Wanna shit your pants?: Unicorn Blood

7. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I've worked there for like 5 years and I still say small medium and large. Down with Starbucks lingo

anthony and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

My man. I was looking at Giant Steps and Unicorn Blood. Shit your pants in a good way? Haha

9. chewbacca110

Giant Steps is my go-to. UB is good, yes, but it’s espresso style and may upset your stomach if you make it strong like I did the first few times I had it.

10. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Good to know! I think I’ll go with Giant Steps.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  11. chewbacca110

Toss in a splash of milk and it gets chocolatey.

Ryan Garner likes this.
  12. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Good call on the Giant Steps. Had my first cup black but I’ll toss in some milk for the next one.

chewbacca110 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Is it just where I'm from, or does anyone else relate to places always assuming you want iced coffee, even when you specifically ask for hot?

I can't even count how many times I've been handed one at the window hah drives me insane because I can't stand it that way and would never accidentally order one, even though I've been accused of it before

aspeedomodel and Nate_Johnson like this.
  14. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Haha I feel like it depends on the weather, but funnily enough this happened to me today, but I asked for iced and got hot.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. RyanPm40

Yeah good point about the weather, it's just weird because everyone still drinks it iced in the winter here lol that's funny it happened to you in reverse today

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  16. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Haha yeah, to be fair though I changed my mind after initially telling the barista my order, so it was probably equally my fault. But they didn’t repeat my order back to me cuz I would have caught it if they had. But yeah regardless of the weather I feel like they do usually assume you want a colder beverage. It must just be the more popular option when people go out for specialty frappa dappa milkshake coffee drinks.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

it's 50/50 they get it right if i don't specifically say hot...but also when i say "tall black coffee"...i don't hear an iced in there, do you? sooooo

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

As I said before:
    #starbucksculture

Signifire, BirdPerson and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I only drink iced coffee unless I’m making hot coffee at home haha. -5 and a few feet of snow on the ground? Iced coffee, please. The one thing I do hate is when Dunkin Donuts automatically gives a foam cup over the plastic cup. I wonder if that’s a Massachusetts thing because it’s only happened to me there.

RyanPm40 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  20. RyanPm40

A foam cup.. for iced coffee? That's definitely bizzarre lol. Haven't seen that happen in NH, but then again, I never order it unless it's for my girlfriend

waking season and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I guess it’s to insulate it in the summer so it stays cold. Never had it happen to me in NH but it’s happened a few times in Mass. Such a waste.

Nate_Johnson and RyanPm40 like this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

The worst is when people bring Starbucks talk into a different shop. The fuck is a dopio? It’s just a double shot of espresso. That doesn’t need a special name!!!!!

23. anthony

in college i worked at a pretty snobby coffee shop. when people would order starbucks drinks (frapacino, grande, whatever) we would pretend like we had no idea what they were asking for.

Signifire and Nate_Johnson like this.
  24. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

[​IMG]
    Picked this up the other day, really enjoyed it! Will have to try some of their other ones, they have a bunch at the grocery store.

Nate_Johnson and anthony like this.
  25. anthony

Random coffee story.

I was recently at stumptown, in down town los angeles. If youre not familiar with stumptown, they were sort of the undisputed best coffee shop in the country for a number of years, and while they have slipped they are still pretty top tier.

Think, 7 dollar cups of regular coffee type of thing, in ultra exclusive neighborhoods, full of hipsters or ultra rich hipsters.

Ok fast forward to the other day.

I'm at stumptown with my daughter (4), the line is kind of long, as they tend to be at stumptown. see a lady standing by the door, go up to her, 'hi is this the end of the line'

'yes'

'cool, thanks'

stand behind her with my daughter holding my hand.

the dude in front of her also has two kids with him. My daughter is being 100% well behaved, his kids are being a little annoying, as kids can be, but not over the top, just mildly annoying, whatever.

then randomly she looks at me and says all super snotty

"oh, so i guess this is the type of place that people bring their kids to now"

i had no idea what to say, so i was just sort of like, uhhhhhh. then started talking to my daughter penny, because word, wtf would i say in response?

the guy in front of her is taking a bit of time is slow as fuck.

his kids are still being sort of obnoxious, but again, nothing close to over the top. just loud and noticable.

she seems annoyed that i didn't respond to her.

then she looks at me again, and says

"fine. if this is the place that attracts this kind of clientele then i guess i dont need to be here"

and storms out.

it was so strange. i totally 100% get that kids arent for everyone, and respect that some people straight dont like kids, and thats cool too.

it was just strange to see someone so mad at the existence of other people existing.

plus im not sure why she thought i had any say in the matter.

plus i havent seen that type of snobery in california before.

eitherway, i got coffee. and as usual it was delicous.

Nate_Johnson likes this.