Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Circle (James Ponsoldt, April 28 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 6, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

“Based on the international best-seller by Dave Eggers, The Circle is a thrilling modern morality tale starring Emma Watson, Tom Hanks, and John Boyega. As she rises through the ranks of the world’s largest tech and social media company, The Circle, Mae (Emma Watson) is encouraged by company founder Eamon Bailey (Tom Hanks) to live her life with complete transparency. But no one is really safe when everyone is watching.”
    also with Patton Oswalt, Bill Paxton, Karen Gillan, Nate Corddry, and Ellar Coltrane:

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

apprehensive but will definitely watch. novel is definitely his most adaptable though far from his best, still enjoyed it a ton though

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing this tonight! Really excited for this one. Never read the book though.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Loved the book and still very apprehensive, hope it's good but heard the film is not nearly as nightmarish as it could have been

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I know nothing about the book or the film, but with Tom Hanks, Patton Oswalt and James Ponsoldt, I'm 100% in.

7. Dog with a Blog

T.Hanks was great but the movie really loses itself after the first act. Pretty underwhelming.

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Seems like there were little to no screenings for this

9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah this kinda sucked. Disappointing.

10. SLADE775 Apr 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2017)
    SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

Just watched this... The main issue I had with the film is that it's just not meaty enough. I never really felt very invested in any of it after the first act. The pacing of the plot is just bizarre with all kinds of half baked ideas and characters all over the place. Especially Boyega's character.

Watson does a decent job, but it's a movie that seems more like a cautionary statement than a piece of entertainment. And when they try and ramp up the excitement, it just gets silly.

There are some interesting topics addressed that will start a few conversations, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before (and better).

With more focus, edge, and foresight, this could have been a much stronger film.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

sucks to hear people are disappointed. I really wanted to see this. Definitely won't spend the money in theaters now.

12. the 16% score on RT doesn't help me wanna see it either

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

ouch.

bummed about this one too. was hoping it'd be good with some of the people involved.

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

did anyone in here watch A Hologram for the King?

suicidesaints and Jason Tate like this.
  15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

unfortunately, yes

16. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

Hanks has been picking bad projects.

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that's a bummer to hear. i was in the middle of reading the book when it came out, so I missed it in theaters, and haven't gotten around to finding it again.

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, maybe you're a fan of the book then the movie might not be terrible, but it's a fairly uneventful story that I didn't think played particularly well on screen.

19. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

This was extremely heavy handed and skirted a weird line between serious and comedic. It also had confusingly mixed messages about privacy. The best part was probably John Boyega but he was barely in it.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  20. suicidesaints Sep 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 13, 2017)
    suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I still kinda want to see this, but I've heard nothing but bad things.

My parents said it was the worst movie they'd seen in a long time. Kinda makes me more interested to see it.