Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 67

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I think the problem is that so many people grow up in churches that don't allow their members to question anything, leaving them at risk of losing their social structure if they go against the status quo. This often leads to a spiritual deadening, and an eventual loss of faith when people get older and learn more about things for themselves.

When what you have been told to believe as fact (dogma, basically) no longer lines up with your changing views of the world, this leads to all sorts of cognitive dissonance. I think a common response is to just throw the entire religion out the window. I'm not necessarily saying that's what the guy from Hawk Nelson did, as he has clearly thought about this quite a bit, but it seems to be a common occurrence. I respect his decision, but at the same time I am saddened by the fact that he has given up his faith entirely and doesn't seem to want to pursue things any further.

Often the problem with Christianity isn't the faith itself, but the Christians. If more churches allowed their members to openly question and search for answers without risking being ostracized, I think the Church, on the whole, would be much healthier.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The entire evangelical community is hard for anyone asking questions. You’re not allowed to build from doubts you may have. You’re ridiculed and the feeling of being an outcast only eats away at anyone who is hanging on by a string of faith.

People coming out as no longer believing in God is something that will always happen when they are not given a positive environment to explore what it means to believe in God. It’s not the cake walk that many evangelical camps try to make it out to be. There will be exhausting days or weeks when you ask yourself why you believe and for what purpose, you’ll have to go against your own doubts about yourself, and the hardest part is accepting that there are answers you just won’t know to questions you may personally find to be incredibly important.

3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It's taken a bit of perseverance but I am definitely enjoying the overall vibe of the Tigerwine release. Not sure why it takes so long for me to get into the new wave of T&N/SS full lengths, but glad to have given this one time. I've not really connected fully with it on a lyrical level.

Has anyone checked out the Off Road Minivan full length?

4. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I really like the new Tigerwine, although the songs become a bit samey towards the end of the album.

Did not enjoy Off Road Minivan at all.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. Gooddayz

always and forever

Heard Tigerwine once, but haven't had incentive to return to it. If I remember the opener was great, but then kinda dulled out after that. Dang did not realize Off Road Minivan was already out!

6. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

The new Deathbreaker album goes HARD.

7. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I don’t mind Off Road Minivan. But I hate their band name.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, I agree that it gets a bit samey.

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The fact that Trenches have finally finished this album is hilarious. I know that they've generated a lot of disappointment and resentment over the years due to the crowdfunder but I do kind of want to see what Jimmy Ryan sounds like in 2020 and for what it's worth The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole was a great album. I do feel sorry for all those people who backed the Indiegogo campaign, but at least everything will be fulfilled.

coleslawed and SmashRipsaw like this.
  10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I have no idea! Is it?!

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

John Mark McMillan has released Basement Sessions Vol.1 on Bandcamp. 5 songs and only $5 (it was pay what you feel for the first day, sorry about that). These are live recordings he's been posting on Facebook/Instagram during the pandemic. They're absolutely gorgeous.

Gooddayz likes this.
  14. allastud

Regular

15. allastud

Regular

Also I think the new Tooth & Nail signing hinted at on the Jesusfreakhideout podcast is Acceptance

JRShoenberger likes this.
  16. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Haha I have been purposefully avoiding it cause I assumed it was KITW. I’ll have to check them out.

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Oooo, that would be a good signing.

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Transcript here if you prefer.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This thread.

coleslawed and Joel Gustafson like this.
  21. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

It's almost as if taking a religion built amongst Middle Eastern slaves & immigrants, and alligning it w/ the dominant culture of a nation built on stolen land by slave labor, leads to a poor understanding & practice of said religion. Shocking, right?

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Couldn't put it better myself.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Does anyone listen to Andy Squyres by the way? I think someone recommended Cherry Blossoms way back but I've not listened to him. Only saw this as a few musicians in his circle shared it.

24. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Just learned there is a new Starflyer 59 EP out. This is hitting just right today.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I saw this article on IndieVisionMusic that features an A to Z of artists who have released albums in the first half of this year. I haven't heard of most of them which just underlines how much music is out each week these days.

Are there any must listens from this list that I need to check out?!

Chase Tremaine likes this.