Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah! Turns out we ended up missing half the show thou since we didn't realize it was literally an evening with him, Andrea Marie and The Acradian Wild. We thought we could miss the opening band, but nope there was no opener haha. Still a chill show. Hadn't heard of Andrea Marie and she's wonderful, esp her song Running Out. That was surreal live

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That’s Will’s wife. She’s also part of United Pursuit so you’ve probably heard her sing before if you’ve heard any of those worship albums! But her solo album is nice too. Glad you enjoyed it.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The new ABR is insanely heavy. I got Messenger vibes.

4. Gooddayz

always and forever

Ayeee on a side note Weathering with You was great.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It is. I’m still a sucker for Shinkai’s older work but Weathering With You still has the same charm to it.

Gooddayz likes this.
  6. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I feel like August Burns Red have been treading water for years. I literally cannot name or remember a single song from the last like 4 albums. I've listened to and enjoyed them all. Hoping they can mix things up a bit.

I also prefer Josh's vocals by far. Jake's are samey, I feel.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

ABR has found a formula that works and while other bands in the scene either have left or mixed up a similar formula, ABR has decided to keep it as long as they always deliver it to the highest quality.

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m not sure if any of you are into hermeneutics but I read this passage today in the book ‘Reflections on the Psalms’ and thought it was good.

“There are prophets who write with the clearest awareness that Divine compulsion is upon them. There are chroniclers whose intention may have been merely to record. There are poets like those in the Song of Songs who probably never dreamed of any but a secular and natural purpose in what they composed. There is (and it is no less important) the work first of the Jewish and then of the Christian Church in preserving and canonising just these books. There is the work of redactors and editors in modifying them. On all of these I suppose a Divine pressure; of which not by any means all need have been conscious.

The human qualities of the raw materials show through. Naïvety, error, contradiction, even (as in the cursing Psalms) wickedness are not removed. The total result is not ‘the Word of God’ in the sense that every passage, in itself, gives impeccable science or history. It carries the Word of God; and we (under grace, with attention to tradition and to interpreters wiser than ourselves, and with the use of such intelligence and learning as we may have) receive that word from it not by using it as an encyclopedia or an encyclical but by steeping ourselves in its tone or temper and so learning its overall message.

To a human mind this working-up (in a sense imperfectly), this sublimation (incomplete) of human material, seems, no doubt, an untidy and leaky vehicle. We might have expected, we may think we should have preferred, an unrefracted light giving us ultimate truth in systematic form—something we could have tabulated and memorised and relied on like the multiplication table. One can respect, and at moments envy, both the Fundamen-talist’s view of the Bible and the Roman Catholic’s view of the Church. But there is one argument which we should beware of using for either position: God must have done what is best, this is best, therefore God has done this. For we are mortals and do not know what is best for us, and it is dangerous to prescribe what God must have done— especially when we cannot, for the life of us, see that He has after all done it.”

coleslawed likes this.
  9. NitrateDawn

Regular

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

On my first listen. I really like the overall sound. I had only listened to the first single as I wanted to hear the whole thing fresh. Juggernaut is an early stand out. He is such a talent.

11. Gooddayz

always and forever

I was excited for new John Mark of course, but didn't realize Tyson Motsenbocker released a new album too. Good stuff

I've heard new John Mark twice and so far I'm liking it. Can't say it competes with M&L just yet, but I do feel like it's his most dense work. I feel like there's a lot of instrumentation going on which is cool

12. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Tyson’s new album is great. I still need to listen to JMM.

13. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

This song is very, very good.

Lucas27 likes this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

The whole thing is an early AOTY contender for me. One of my favorite rock records in a long, long time right up there with JEW’s newest record.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I found out yesterday that my parents are separating and I’m trying to not get involved but I read this this morning and had to send it to both of them. Although I’m pretty sure it’s directed to Jews and gentiles, I think it can be applied universally.

And coming, He announced peace as the gospel to you who were far off, and peace to those who were near, for through Him we both have access in one Spirit unto the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are the fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. Being built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone; In whom all the building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord; In whom you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in spirit.

Ep 2: 17 - 22

ghostxvapor and Lucas27 like this.
  16. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

New Dens is out today. My goodness. What a fantastic album. "Are" is beautiful.

Lucas27 and chhholly123 like this.
  17. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

This thing rips.

SmashRipsaw and Lucas27 like this.
  18. Lucas27

Trusted

Love that passage. I’m so sorry about your parents.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Going to listen later today, really excited for it.

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Thank you.

and yeah, Galatians through Colossians are some of my most quoted books. They’re so dense with rich passages.

Lucas27 likes this.
  21. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

This EP rules.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  22. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Support artists by buying something
    John Mark McMillan vinyl is 25% off rn:
    Music

coleslawed likes this.
  23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The beginning of the song really reminded me of O’God/Redeemer era of Norma Jean.

24. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

My thoughts exactly!

25. Gooddayz

always and forever

That new Dens album is pretty good.:eyes:

Lucas27 and SmashRipsaw like this.