The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gooddayz

jump into the wonder Supporter

Yeah! Turns out we ended up missing half the show thou since we didn't realize it was literally an evening with him, Andrea Marie and The Acradian Wild. We thought we could miss the opening band, but nope there was no opener haha. Still a chill show. Hadn't heard of Andrea Marie and she's wonderful, esp her song Running Out. That was surreal live

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That’s Will’s wife. She’s also part of United Pursuit so you’ve probably heard her sing before if you’ve heard any of those worship albums! But her solo album is nice too. Glad you enjoyed it.

3. justin.

我誰什麼? 我現在知道。

The new ABR is insanely heavy. I got Messenger vibes.

4. Gooddayz

Ayeee on a side note Weathering with You was great.

5. justin.

我誰什麼? 我現在知道。

It is. I’m still a sucker for Shinkai’s older work but Weathering With You still has the same charm to it.

Gooddayz likes this.
  6. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I feel like August Burns Red have been treading water for years. I literally cannot name or remember a single song from the last like 4 albums. I've listened to and enjoyed them all. Hoping they can mix things up a bit.

I also prefer Josh's vocals by far. Jake's are samey, I feel.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. justin.

我誰什麼? 我現在知道。

ABR has found a formula that works and while other bands in the scene either have left or mixed up a similar formula, ABR has decided to keep it as long as they always deliver it to the highest quality.

8. justin.

我誰什麼? 我現在知道。

I’m not sure if any of you are into hermeneutics but I read this passage today in the book ‘Reflections on the Psalms’ and thought it was good.

“There are prophets who write with the clearest awareness that Divine compulsion is upon them. There are chroniclers whose intention may have been merely to record. There are poets like those in the Song of Songs who probably never dreamed of any but a secular and natural purpose in what they composed. There is (and it is no less important) the work first of the Jewish and then of the Christian Church in preserving and canonising just these books. There is the work of redactors and editors in modifying them. On all of these I suppose a Divine pressure; of which not by any means all need have been conscious.

The human qualities of the raw materials show through. Naïvety, error, contradiction, even (as in the cursing Psalms) wickedness are not removed. The total result is not ‘the Word of God’ in the sense that every passage, in itself, gives impeccable science or history. It carries the Word of God; and we (under grace, with attention to tradition and to interpreters wiser than ourselves, and with the use of such intelligence and learning as we may have) receive that word from it not by using it as an encyclopedia or an encyclical but by steeping ourselves in its tone or temper and so learning its overall message.

To a human mind this working-up (in a sense imperfectly), this sublimation (incomplete) of human material, seems, no doubt, an untidy and leaky vehicle. We might have expected, we may think we should have preferred, an unrefracted light giving us ultimate truth in systematic form—something we could have tabulated and memorised and relied on like the multiplication table. One can respect, and at moments envy, both the Fundamen-talist’s view of the Bible and the Roman Catholic’s view of the Church. But there is one argument which we should beware of using for either position: God must have done what is best, this is best, therefore God has done this. For we are mortals and do not know what is best for us, and it is dangerous to prescribe what God must have done— especially when we cannot, for the life of us, see that He has after all done it.”

coleslawed likes this.
  9. NitrateDawn

Regular

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

On my first listen. I really like the overall sound. I had only listened to the first single as I wanted to hear the whole thing fresh. Juggernaut is an early stand out. He is such a talent.

11. Gooddayz

I was excited for new John Mark of course, but didn't realize Tyson Motsenbocker released a new album too. Good stuff

I've heard new John Mark twice and so far I'm liking it. Can't say it competes with M&L just yet, but I do feel like it's his most dense work. I feel like there's a lot of instrumentation going on which is cool

12. JRShoenberger

I review board games on IG: @jordanplaysblue

Tyson’s new album is great. I still need to listen to JMM.