Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 53

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

For anyone into John Lucas, there is a new album on Spotify as of yesterday and it is great

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh sweet! I'll have to check that out.

3. Gooddayz

always and forever

That John Lucas album is the best Christian album I've heard all year.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Oh man, thanks for the John Lucas recommendation everyone. What an album - totally speaking my language with the gorgeous musical backdrop. I love when an album takes your breath away.

Gooddayz and whitenblue88 like this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

“Cathedrals” is still my favorite song by him because that’s a masterpiece, but “Be My Courage” is now a close second. Instrumentals are beautiful and I love how personal, yet reverent the lyrics are

6. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah the lyrics on Great Love got me teary eyed

7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

8. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I've been really digging the new John Van Deusen album. It's the solo project of the singer from The Lonely Forest. Some really beautiful stuff.

chhholly123 and Gooddayz like this.
  9. NitrateDawn

Regular

Woah, I loved the Lonely Forest. Had no idea he was on T&N now, I'll definitely check this out

10. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Never heard of this guy or that band but I really like this!

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I got confused and mixed up The Lonely Forest with The Lonely Hearts (who I think were briefly a T&N band). I've not heard of The Lonely Forest.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  12. Gooddayz

always and forever

Haven't heard of either and that was a good song! Cool album cover

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  13. NitrateDawn Jul 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2019)
    NitrateDawn

Regular

My issue is always confusing them with The Lonely Island. Cuz they basically make the same exact type of music. *sarcasm*

My ties to Lonely Forest are pretty personal. They're from Anacortes, WA which is like an hour away from where I grew up. I went to see their final show there, and it was the weekend after my university had a school shooting. I'll always be grateful they gave my friends and I some sort of reprieve and joy in the midst of a heavy situation.

I had no idea the singer was Christian or had any ties to that industry, which is kind of awesome haha. They got discovered by Chris Walla and toured with Death Cab, so they definitely weren't part of that scene which is why I'm so shocked. Definitely recommend the band! This song is a great introduction to them:

14. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

That is incredibly catchy! Sounds kinda like a mix of John Davis and Mike Mains. Idk how I hadn't heard of them before but will definitely be digging into their music along with John's new album.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

One of the best memes I’ve seen this week

8875D118-95D0-42A1-B121-F61D893A7B60.jpeg

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

justin. likes this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Read this from Jon Foreman/Switchfoot in an email over the weekend. Thought it was worth posting (actually quite relevant to the above meme in some ways!):

coleslawed and justin. like this.
  18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Sorry for the triple post but The Fear of God turned 10 years old and that blew my mind.

Trivia/bonus unmixed live take for those who care:

For me, The Fear of God kind of summed up the sound of those T&N albums - it had a little bit of everything (No Sir, Age of Reptiles, Anorexia Nervosa) but was still unique and probably their most cohesive. I think this record still stands up as one of their best.

coleslawed, Lucas27 and SmashRipsaw like this.
  19. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

It really was an underrated album. Probably my second favorite after No Sir...

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. justin. Aug 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 12, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Very sad. I honestly think he needs to get out of churches like Hillsong because he can find a group of believers that do confront the questions he is having difficulty with. I’m not surprised that Hillsong most likely doesn’t have a community that talks about big challenges of faith. Praying that he finds what he honestly desires and that he doesn’t settle for the quick and easy.

Hillsong Songwriter Marty Sampson Says He’s Losing His Christian Faith | RELEVANT Magazine

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Couple of albums released in the last few weeks that are worth listening to (I'm still listening to John Lucas constantly so thanks for that recommendation)

The new Will Reagan album is really interesting. It's his first record that isn't a worship record (ie. he's dropped the United Pursuit" label for this one). This is what he said about the album: "VACANCY is a new format for me, something outside the scope of worship music. My processes, questions and observations after 15 years of making music and moving on from youth. Hope you enjoy!

It's super chilled and such an absorbing vibe. I feel so relaxed listening to it and it's giving me a lot of life at the moment.

Josh Garrels put out his latest album last week. It's available for pay what you feel for a week so act now if you want it. "When beginning this album a year ago, I felt like the Lord told me to “sing the gospel & and spend time with Him”. Again, it's super easy to listen to. It feels more explicitly worship-oriented than some of his more recent work, but that's not a bad thing because his voice and style is unique. I haven't listened to it as much as Will Reagan yet as it's quite a long album, but I think it's good so far.

It's funny that these three albums (including John Lucas) have come out in quick succession because they all have a similar vibe in a way and although they're all different overall, they're making a small difference to my life every time I listen. I love that.

It is sad when people feel like they don't have a space to process those questions. For me, losing my 'faith' enabled me to find it. When I peel back all the questions and lack of answers I have found the one who is Love. You are right that there are communities everywhere that can sit with him/me/others and live with the tension and the unknown and the disappointments - hope he finds a safe place to be himself and explore what he needs to.

It's interesting that more and more people are feeling safe to express these sentiments though. Although painful, I think that can only be a good thing. It's important to hold up a mirror and see where our man-made systems and theologies are actively contributing to people losing faith.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. SmashRipsaw Aug 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2019)
    SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Everything I've read about Hillsong makes me sad. Bad Christian had a former worship leader on their podcast a while back, and she spoke about how dissent and questioning isn't tolerated or acknowledged. No wonder so many people are leaving disheartened.

It's a common and unfortunate pattern. So many people, particularly young people, leaving the faith because of judgemental and self-righteous people in the church.

23. Gooddayz

always and forever

Will Reagan!!! Thanks for the reminder I need to check that out and glad I'm not the only one loving John Lucas's new album. Tired to show some friends, but none of them seem to enjoy it.

I want to listen to Josh Garrels, but I'm never been a huge fan of him and the album is over an hour long. It feels a bit intimidating, but I'll probably listen to it eventually.

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I have to admit that I have only really listened to this new one as background music in the car or whilst I've been working. Some of his work does seem long and more dense. I felt like his last actual full length (Home, not the Christmas one) was quite concise. This one might be more accessible because it's more worship oriented. The first two or three songs are beautiful and I'd definitely recommend checking them out. The style isn't too far removed from John Lucas in some ways.

I cannot see what is not to like about John Lucas' new album. It's gorgeous and may be my favourite release of the year currently.

I'll look forward to hearing your Will Reagan thoughts.

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

justin. and SmashRipsaw like this.