Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gooddayz

always and forever

I don't know anything about needtobreathe, but No Excuses is pretty great.

Lucas27 likes this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

Someone please come up and slap me in the virtual face. I'm really enjoying the two new Skillet songs.

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

don't know where to post these guys here, but new Silent Planet song, featuring Spencer Chamberlain.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. Gooddayz

always and forever

@Lucas27 Man I heard one of the new Skillet songs and I just couldn't do it.

@coleslawed Awesome thanks for the post! Cool guest spot

coleslawed likes this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

King's Kaleidoscope also just launched pre-orders for their new one, Beyond Control. Excited for this one.
    they also say that the CD version is clean while the vinyl has one explicit song, wonder what that is.

6. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

That's a pretty record. Don't have $40 to nab it though.

7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

yeah, debating between the special edition or regular. might do the special + Becoming who we are repress and call two records for $60 good (still more than I usually like to spend on records).

8. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I don't want to start an argument or anything and I know there are many schools of thought here but the whole trend of cursing/being controversial/etc. and the whole "Bad Christian" sect of Christian music is really getting old for me. A lot of it is just blatantly unbiblical in my opinion and seems like controversy for controversy's sake only.

That said, this song isn't even out yet so I'm not judging King's Kaleidoscope here.

Tim likes this.
  9. Lucas27

Trusted

It depends on the context of the swearing for me. Derek Webb is a good example. His song "Wedding Dress" is one of my favorite songs of all time because it's a sincere admonition not just of the church but also himself, but the use of shit on "What Matters More" hit me wrong because it was clear he wanted to get a rise out of people. I don't personally mind the word, and I think the language on "Wedding Dress" is actually way more intense, but it was clearly biblical where the language on "What Matters More" felt forced. Felt the same way about P.O.D. dropping the F-bomb on their latest album. And Sonny's response to the backlash in an AbsolutePunk interview actually turned me completely off their music for a while...it just struck me as pious at the time.

Then in the case of someone like Sufjan Stevens, I would argue that the F-bomb on "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross" is one of the pivotal moments on Carrie & Lowell cause it basically reflects him at his lowest point. I resonate with that line like nobody's business. It's just so honest and human that it doesn't even come across as "edgy".

I'm not really one to judge whether or not it's necessary for certain artists to use language. But as a Christian, I think it should be all about the heart behind it. Curious to see how Kings Kaleidoscope incorporates it cause I find them pretty reliable overall in the writing department. And I wouldn't think of them as being unnecessarily edgy without a reason. I don't see their new album NOT ending up on my year-end list either way.

10. Lucas27

Trusted

This could be a really special album.

11. Lucas27

Trusted

That's why I said slap me.

Gooddayz likes this.
  12. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Yeah. I'd have to hear the context of it. Before I make any judgements on it. I'm pretty excited for something new later this month though.

13. Gooddayz

always and forever

Man it caught me by surprise Spencer was singing, but I guess I should have known.

14. Gooddayz

always and forever

Dang I didn't even realize King Kaleidoscope were writing a new album. What a pleasant surprise! I've been playing BWWA these past couple days too. Man I'm super excited for this! New song is great

I wonder how the context of that explicit song will be though. Their lyrics on BWWA are ridiculously good, so I hope they continue down that path either way.

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

coleslawed likes this.
  16. partyscene

my holy ghost is hovering over me

I've heard the first track, I love the atmosphere on it, will give the record listen this weekend. Phil Wickham has fantastic voice, there's no denying about that.

17. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Beyond Control is out today. I hadn't listened to much before today, so I didn't know what to expect. It feels different than their other stuff. I'll have to wait to see how it settles in.

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I'm excited to give that a listen today.. should be interesting

19. Tim

Oh, it is? Cool. Lost track of time. I'll have to get it after work.

20. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Really really enjoying the new Kings Kaleidoscope.

Also new Colony House single is lots of fun!

21. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh awesome! I didn't realize Colony House were releasing a new album.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  22. Gooddayz

always and forever

After first listening to King's new album I definitely like it just need to let it process more. A Prayer totally wrecked me though.. the emotions in that song are so transparent.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Prayer was definitely an early highlight. This isn't hitting me as immediately as Becoming Who We Are. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

24. Tim

Me, listening to "A Prayer":

[​IMG]

Kevin360 likes this.
  25. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Musically, I really like "In This Ocean". Is there more like that on KK's other album?