Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 45

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I appreciate you both taking the time to write such thoughtful responses. You've definitely given me a lot to think about. I tend to paint evangelicalism with a broad brush, as I usually equate it with the horrible behavior I see associated with the current political climate. I see that it's much more complicated than that, and maybe evangelical isn't always the most descriptive term. I admire both of you for deciding to stick with your churches and for working to bring positive changes, rather than just complaining about as I've chosen to do. I would love to be more active in a church, but still haven't found one that I am comfortable in, and I have some health problems that prevent me from being really active in general.

I think a lot of my discomfort with calling myself a Christian is how other people will perceive me, but then I'm reminded that Jesus himself said that the world would hate us (John 15:18), and that our salvation is certainly not determined by whatever others think of us. It just seems like most of what you hear about Christianity these days is negative, especially in more liberal settings. Like Lucas said, there are certain parts of this site that I know not to post on because some people will make assumptions that aren't necessarily true, which is fine I guess.

Side note: I love the bread analogy.

aspeedomodel, Lucas27 and Kevin360 like this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

coleslawed and Ness72 like this.
  3. Ness72

Chase Tremaine and Lucas27 like this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

Oh you do huh

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  5. Ness72

6. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

My feelings about Switchfoot as a whole are mixed, but Nothing Is Sound is one of my all time favorite albums and they’re my favorite band to see in a festival setting!

Side note: somehow missed you were apart of JFH! That website introduced me to so many bands growing up and my band was actually part of the sites sampler last year!

7. That's so cool! JFH was huge for me too, especially back in high school, so it's been a bit of a dream-come-true getting to write and podcast for them over the past two years.

And awesome about the sampler -- which one was your band?

8. jjnunn118

Signal Versus Noise, think we were the second track on it!

Probably get around to the Switchfoot episode today, then dive back through the catalogue a bit!

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I particularly loved the episodes with Levi The Poet and Andrew Peterson if I can recommend two!

I need to check out your band.

10. jjnunn118

The Levi The Poet episode in particular jumped out to me, as did the Aaron Sprinkle one about how EPs are becoming more prevalent!

11. Ness72

12. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If anyone here is into Facedown Records & doesn't exclusively listen via Spotify or Apple Music:

Today only, they're having a flash sale where all digital albums in their store are only $2 each. Every one of 'em.

I'm gonna have to look through & see what I don't own & would want to. I think I'll be able to find at least a few, even though I don't keep up w/ that scene anymore.

DIGITAL FLASH SALE | Facedown Records

13. jjnunn118

Check out that Deathbreaker record! Very old school Norma Jean inspired record, and really great people

14. Really enjoying your stuff! The JEW is strong with you

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm not really hungry for new heavy music right now, so I just got a few albums.

Sleeping Giant's I Am, which I listened to last year & really dug but never got around to buying. Everything in Slow Motion's Phoenix, which I might not spend much time with when I can just revisit the Hands songs I remember, but hey, they've got a song w/ the guy from Blindside. Means' Sending You Strength, because I remember listening to the song "Connected" a ton on YouTube way back when.

Almost got some Those Who Fear 'cause they're Pittsburgh boys that I saw a ton way back in the day, who I had a lot of mutual friends with. But, I don't think I'll ever be sitting somewhere and thinking, "Hey, I wanna listen to Those Who Fear." They are really good at that certain brand of tough guy hardcore, though, if that's your thing.

But, if any of you dig heavy music, yeah, hit that sale up.

coleslawed and Lucas27 like this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

Phoenix is a spectacular album. With time I’ve actually come to love it more than Hands’ album Give Me Rest which is a masterpiece in its own right.

17. jjnunn118 Feb 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 19, 2019)
    jjnunn118

Thanks! Me and the singer really bonded over Chase This Light while working on this record!

Really liked the Switchfoot episode, thought it had some really insightful critical discussion. Subscribed right after I finished!

Edit: have to echo that I also think The Beautiful Letdown is my least favorite Switchfoot album and Fading West is my 2nd favorite.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

[​IMG]

19. Lucas27

Trusted

On the plus side, your band's stuff is solid @jjnunn118! I saw it on IVM a while back and forgot to give it a listen until now. Great great stuff.

jjnunn118 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  20. All of this makes me so happy.

What would be your #1 Switchfoot album, then?

21. jjnunn118

Thank you so much man!

Nothing Is Sound. That was actually my first Switchfoot album, found it at a thrift store when I was in middle school and remembered hearing Meant To Live on the radio. From the moment Stars hit I was in.

22. That's so great. Kinda similar story to me, too. As of now, Fading West is probably my #1, but Nothing is Sound and Oh Gravity are also vying for that spot.

jjnunn118 likes this.
  23. jjnunn118

Hello Hurricane just nudges Oh Gravity for me but it’s close!

24. Lucas27

Trusted

I said this in the JFH comment section so Chase is getting a double dose of this but...

The Beautiful Letdown is astounding and a pivotal moment for Christian music. Nothing is Sound is the quite nearly as good darker middle chapter. I think of both as the New Hope and Empire Strikes Back of Christian rock. You guys are seriously missing out on TBL.