Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 43

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This is honestly great news. I'm excited for the album and look forward to hearing it. And I'm pleased you have all of it sketched out and are on the way to getting the project out. I'll have to put it on my most anticipated list with Copeland and La Dispute!

I understand the balance you are aiming for - I'll make sure I keep sharing and talking about your releases so you don't need to, haha!

Lucas27 likes this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

Thank you!!!!

3. Gooddayz

always and forever

Aww listen to it asap! I'm not as keen on Josh Garrels as my friends are, but I really enjoyed that EP. Never listened to Josh White, but he was fantastic too.

I've never heard of DENS before, so that EP was a fun little introduction for me. A full length would be cool though!

Oh sweet! Let me know what you think.

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Has anyone watched this? I don't think it's been posted here before. It's quite an interesting overview but ultimately I enjoyed it because it made me pleased to be alive during the heavy Christian music boom. I'd be interested to hear if people agree with the reasons for the decline.

5. Gooddayz

always and forever

Seen the vid plenty of times, but never watched it.

Btw did you ever listen to Azusa?

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, listened once or twice on Spotify at work. It was good but I hardly listen to that kind of music these days so haven't actually took the plunge and bought it.

7. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

He makes some good points. I tend to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if another reason, a much more obvious one, is that peoples' music interests change, and people move on to other stuff/grow up. It isn't rocket science but makes sense to me, I guess.

8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, my opinion also is that the majority of Christian bands aren't making groundbreaking, innovative heavy music anymore. I felt like he missed that. Bands like Underoath were ahead of the game and defining what that era of the genre was going to sound like. Heavy Christian bands (or bands with Christians in them) just aren't doing that on the same level these days.

mmhmm likes this.
  9. Gooddayz

always and forever

Finally watched it and he had some good points. Interesting video. I liked how he categorized and talked about what led to the explosion. I'm definitely a part of that mid to late 2000's era. Hardly knew some of the bands he mentioned from the 90's.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I know what you mean. Normally now when I listen to heavier music it's just from older records that I already love

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with a lot of the 90s bands. Nor does a lot of that style appeal to me. Much prefer the sing/scream elements that developed in 'our' era.

I'm the same when I listen to the Labeled podcast. I find it very interesting but with a lot of the 90s heavier bands I'm think "who even is this?!"
    Yes, this is me too. Definitely more nostalgia driven. Been listening to so much of The Chariot in the last week.

Gooddayz likes this.
  12. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I was super into the Christian scene. I bought every new release from T&N/Solid State for years, so I was very much a part of the movement. Looking back, it's kind of weird how huge it was. It's a bummer that good Christian music isn't as prevalent as before, but it makes sense that the boom wouldn't last. And I do think many of those bands that claimed to be Christian or were on Christian labels were jumping on a bandwagon because it was trendy. Good heavy Christian music is more niche now, and I guess I'm okay with that if the bands that are still out there have good intentions.

I really enjoy that guy's videos, and I'm glad that he can be respectful of the music and even enjoy it even if he isn't a believer. His other videos are really good, too.

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It was definitely refreshing to see how respectful he was about different beliefs.

14. gregory

storyintl.org

Sorry if this has been discussed in here, but is anyone into the band Laity? Just found them on Spotify the other day and it's got me trying to find more christian/worship indie bands with the same vibe. Would appreciate recommendations!

Is anyone into the new bethel record? I think Raise a Hallelujah and Christ is Risen are the two big stand outs for me so far

15. gregory

storyintl.org

Dude this is rad. Especially considering your "lack of resources" it sounds really good. Keep sharing!

Lucas27 likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

Thanks @gregory! Full album soon!

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I hadn't heard of Laity but I'll have to check them out.

I haven't listened to the new Bethel record either. I used to buy most of what they put out but they put so many releases out each year that they've become a bit Hillsong-y and I've found most of their past releases had varying quality - some stand out tracks worth the money but a lot of filler. I think in general I've moved away from 'standard' worship music - last year I enjoyed releases from artists such as John Mark McMillan and Lovelite a bit more.

Having said that, someone played Raise a Hallelujah as background music at my church community the other night and it did sound good. I do really appreciate Jonathan David & Melissa Helser as I think they bring something a bit more creative to the table and had been following them for a few years before they teamed up with Bethel Music.

18. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

John Lucas is in a similar space musically, and his album A Thousand Cathedrals is my favorite worship album in the past couple years

19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

That’s a bummer

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

They’re still going to make music just retiring the Gungor name as it became too complicated from where they began. Not a bummer in my eyes!

21. gregory

storyintl.org

I know it's probably blasphemy to say in here but I've never really gotten into John Mark McMillan. I can't really say why though. I do enjoy Lovelite. Jonathan David and Melissa Helser definitely have a lot of power behind their songs. Their old stuff is really fun to listen to as well.

I was always really turned off to bethel/hillsong style worship music but it's honestly most of what I listen to now. To me there is nothing more fulfilling lyrically than straight bible, but I do mourn some of the more musical creativity that I grew up listening to. That's why a band like Laity is so refreshing to me.

How do people here feel about Upperroom? I know they're a similar style but I feel like they're adding something super free and unique to the worship scene right now.

John Lucas is awesome, I've heard some songs off that album but haven't really tried to get into it. Doing so now.

22. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I'm not really Christian any more at all but my wife has been trying to get back into touch with it all.

She's been listening to nothing but Christian radio for almost a month now (she actually won an Amazon Echo through them).

Also for whatever reason I have constantly had Hear Our Prayers by The Glorious Unseen stuck in my head lately and really I get it stuck there periodically throughout the years

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  23. Gooddayz

always and forever

I agree! The vocal elements that developed in 'our' era are much more to my taste. The 90s seemed to have more of that growl that I'm not too keen on.

Oh The Chariot are classic. I'm so glad I saw them on their farewell tour. Did you ever catch them live? It was nuts.

24. Gooddayz

always and forever

Got some new artist to check out now. John Lucas, Lovelite, Laity and Upperroom! I’ve heard of the first two a bit, but haven’t taken the time to really listen to them.

Had no clue Bethel Music just released a new album. Just listened to Raise a Hallelujah and it’s good. I normally don’t listen to “Hillsong” type worship albums though cause they’re normally too bloated for my liking. I just play some of the singles at most.

Btw has anybody heard of Allie Paige?

25. Lucas27

Trusted

I've never heard of Allie Paige before. What's she like?

Also, everyone in here should stop what they're doing and listen to Jess Ray's new album Parallels + Meridians at some point.