Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 42

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

I really liked the episode too. I was a little skeptical going in because of the new format but I liked hearing from multiple sources on what the scene was like at the time. There have been so many names I've heard through the years (like Mark Salomon) but didn't know the extent of their influence. I didn't get into T&N til early 2000's and the only history I knew was limited to Mxpx. Even through I've never really listened to The Crucified or Wish for Eden its great to hear how these bands just wanted to play music and basically figured things out as they went. It'll be interesting going forward hearing about Brandon Ebel, both as hero for starting the label and as the industry man that the bands fight against.

I had no idea the cost was that high for each episode. I'm on the fence about paying but probably will once the episodes start getting into bands I love, I'll break down wanting to hear those full interviews

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Chase Tremaine and Lucas27 like this.
  3. Lucas27

Trusted

4. Lucas27 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Any Demon Hunter fans here? Thought this was an interesting idea. Double album coming next year.

Listened this morning and loved it - only annoying thing was discovering he'd just finished a UK tour. Would have loved to have gone along to experience his music live.

6. NitrateDawn

Regular

Interesting. I was always much more a fan of their more melodic stuff so I'll be very curious to check out Peace.

7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

To be honest, I'm the same.

mmhmm, Lucas27 and NitrateDawn like this.
  8. Thanks, friend -- and sorry you missed him!

9. Gooddayz

always and forever

Anybody heard Chris Renzema's album I'll Be the Branches?

wood&wire likes this.
  10. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Yep! Chris is a really solid guy and I love his stuff. We have some mutual friends and he played a house show at my house a few years ago. I would also highly recommend this project from him (Chris Renzema & the New Nature Choir, by Chris Renzema & the New Nature Choir). It has some of the same songs with different arrangements (to which I have a slight preference).

Did you hear of him from the recent John Mark McMillan shows?

11. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh cool! I'll have to check that out.

Those two in the same show sounds amazing, but no I didn't. A friend of mine showed me, but I feel like he came in outta nowhere. I never heard of him before at all. Seriously one of the best Christian releases this year

12. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Nice! Yeah, totally agree.

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Disciple have signed for Tooth & Nail...

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I posted this in the Oh, Sleeper thread but thought it was appropriate for here too:

15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Happy New Year!

What were your favourite albums in 2018?

Most of my list contains music from Christian artists so I usually post the whole blog/list in this thread. Feel free to check it out here. I've also put together a little playlist of my favourite songs here.

mmhmm and chhholly123 like this.
  16. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Nice write-ups. I also had Emery (#1) and mewithoutyou (#2) in my top albums, as well as Matt Thiessen and Underoath in my honorable mentions. Those are probably it for "Christian" artists in my favorite albums (personally I would include Thrice (#6), but I get why people don't).

I bought the Audrey Assad record when it came out. I adored half of the tracks, and really didn't like the other half. I haven't listened to it much since, so I'll give it another spin and see if that's changed at all.

I loved JMM's record last year, but didn't know he did remixes/alt versions! I'm very excited to listen to those.

I really resonate with your thoughts in the Jason Upton write-up about wanting "something more" from worship music, questioning faith, and struggling to feel comfortable singing church music. I have drifted away from listening to congregational style music, but this has me very intrigued!

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Thanks for reading - those Emery and mewithoutYou records really are great. Definitely get on those JMM releases if you liked the original record.

I really enjoyed the Thrice record actually (it was only the second Thrice album I'd listened to!) and probably should have popped that in the honourable mentions.

Sorry to hear the Assad record didn't fully click. I think the first half is definitely stronger. I've listened to it a lot when I've been driving with my wife because she doesn't like the rock side of things. My end of year lists have gradually reflected that but still have a special place for mewithoutYou, Levi and Emery! She even gives any new mewithoutYou records a full listen with me because she knows how much I love them, haha!

Let me know if you do give any of that Jason Upton record a listen. It will be interesting to see if any of the songs give you the same feeling in your place of struggling to feel comfortable or whether it was just me!

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

Nice write up as usual! Jason Upton's release really does provide that "something more" I wanted in a worship type album. Never heard of him back when you first mentioned him, but I'm glad I checked it out. I even showed him to some of my friends, but none of them liked him unfortunately. The same happens when I show them Andrew Peterson :(

Btw have you heard Chris Renzema's album?

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

No, but he’s on my list to check out. I saw the recommendations a few weeks back.

Thanks for the encouragement and glad you’ve liked Jason Upton.

20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Sweet! I think you'll like him.

Did you ever give Azusa's new album a listen?

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I haven't listened to that album either. Is it good?

22. Lucas27

Trusted

Hey guys, trying to promote my stuff a little more because I've been slacking in that department. These are the latest two songs I've put out the last couple months. Second song is based off of Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga so I went full fanboy. :)

If you guys get the chance, let me know what you think. Honestly discouraged at the lack of resources I have when it comes to recording, but just trying to do what I can with what I have.

23. Gooddayz Jan 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2019)
    Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah it's pretty good. I've only given it a couple of listens, but her vocals are no surprise a highlight.

Btw I'm surprised you didn't include the Josh Garrels EP on your list.

Edit: And DENS too!

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Love these songs. Try not to be too discouraged about the lack of recording resources you have - for this kind of music I kind of like the raw side. It is beautiful and vulnerable. I would download these if you put them up as an EP on Bandcamp or something like that. I'd also share them around in my circles and hopefully spread the word when you're at that point. You may not be ready for that but when you are... I'm there.

One thing I liked about the first track is the vocals which reminded me of a worship band Rivers & Robots in places. I loved the backing vocals (ahhhh ahhhhhhah) at the climax of the song too. I think the second track is good too and yet another Andrew Peterson project I apparently need to check out. I liked the quieter bit half way through, although I may have liked that to extend slightly further before the next passage kicks in (constructive criticism), but that next passage is great and I loved how it built as you go. Man, this is a good track. Yeah, you've definitely got an Andy Hull vibe. I think I said that before. I love this kind of music when it's done well and isn't generic. The tracks I've heard by you are not generic or boring.

You have what it takes. I'd listen to this and I think my wife would if I put it on in the car.

Why I'd like an EP or something like that is that would help me to dive into your music and particularly the lyrics a bit more. Whereas listening to a track here and there on Soundcloud is great, I want repeated listens to this kind of music.

Hope that's useful.

To my shame, particularly because I posted about the singles a lot here, I haven't got round to the Josh Garrels release yet! I really enjoyed the DENS EP when it came out but found myself listening to it less and less as the year progressed. Think I would have preferred a full length from them.

Giving Azusa a listen now.

25. Lucas27

Trusted

That is very helpful brother. Thank you so much.

I’m hoping to finish the album in the next month. Then I’ll have it on Bandcamp. It’s 12 tracks and it’s the first of two volumes with the other coming out later this year.

The lyrics are in the description of each song if you want to dive in more. Honestly, as much as I love writing music and melodies, lyrics are my favorite part of what I do. I really would love to write words that have the same impact on people as an Andrew Peterson or Aaron Weiss, even if I was lacking in the musical department.

Thanks again. I’m always trying to ride the line between not promoting myself out of pride and sharing my stuff so I can get the necessary push and encouragement to keep going.