Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

My Epic's new EP "Viscera" just dropped by the way and it's amazing. Wish it wasn't just a few songs, but it's a few songs well spent.

Music and lyrics both considered, I honestly think they're my favorite band right now.

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just downloaded it. I was disappointed it wasn't a full album but any music from them is most welcome.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

For some reason, I've never really interacted with this thread in it's many forms. But hi, this is my faith, and I'm pretty bad at keeping up with the music it produces (for the most part). I recently attended a Hillsong/Kari Jobe/Jesus Culture concert and I really appreciate the current worship world, even if the repetitive nature of the song structure is beginning to get to me.

I worked for Luis Palau for awhile, which gave me quite a bit of insight into the behind the scenes area of Christian music, and it's really made me stay away from modern Christian radio artists far beyond my desire that they just crafted better art.

I still have a huge soft spot for "Collide" and "Comatose" (albums and song) by Skillet.

4. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Need to check this out, I loved Behold.

I am obsessed with Audrey Assad right now. Inheritance is probably my favorite explicitly Christian album that I don't just love for nostalgia's sake.

5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Second the So Long Forgotten rec, Micah even has a cameo on Hell or High Water.

My Epic is great, too, I've just never really put them in the same musical/lyrical camp as ACB.

6. Lucas27

Trusted

My Epic is subtler than ACB from a musical perspective. I remember when Yet came out I enjoyed it, but I thought of them as a lesser ACB with their moments of greatness. Then Broken Voice floored me. Then Behold ended up being one of my favorite albums of all time. I've since gone back and fallen in love with both I Am Undone and Yet. They're really one of those bands that you have to spend time with to catch all the nuances.

I also put Aaron Stone up there with Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Peterson, and Aaron Weiss as one of my favorite lyricists of all time. It definitely depends on your lyrical preference though. The reverence and depth he writes with is unlike anything I've heard outside of traditional hymns, but you have to immerse yourself in it. It really is worshipful in a way that few CCM artists ever capture for me.

7. Lucas27

Trusted

Christian radio creeps me out a little. I've got nothing against Christians making money off of music because that's the nature of the industry, but there's something weird about the words "Christian" and "market" being made synonymous.

This article Andrew Peterson just put out on CCM Magazine is really fantastic though. I'd encourage anyone on this thread to check it out:

Andrew Peterson – Helping Bono Find What He’s Looking For – CCM Magazine

8. Gooddayz

always and forever

@Lucas27 Really good article thanks for the post.

Man I've heard of Andrew Peterson through this thread, but I never heard a song of his till just now. The Dark Before The Dawn was amazing I need to check out the whole album now.

Also My Epic's new release is solid. I'm bummed I won't be able to see them live in two weeks

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Aaron from My Epic has often said his playing was influenced by early ACB. I need to get on that new EP.

10. Lucas27

Trusted

I'm seeing them May 20th for the first time so I'm pretty psyched. It's been long overdue but My Epic isn't a band that tours much.

And let me know what you think of Andrew Peterson. "The Burning Edge of Dawn" just barely edged out Sufjan and Julien Baker as my favorite album of 2015. It just takes me to another place. "Light For the Lost Boy" and "The Far Country" are incredible too, but his entire nine album discography has no missteps. Listening to it on shuffle as I go to sleep in fact.

11. Gooddayz

always and forever

Man that's what I figured that they don't tour much.. Who knows if I'll get another chance down the road, but oh well. I hope the tour goes well for them. Open Letter is my favorite from the new EP, really love his lyrics.

Oh my gosh TBEOD is amazing. I'm on my third listen and it keeps getting better and better. I can't believe I slept on this last year. I'll have to give Light For the Lost Boy a listen too. Man it would be cool to see a tour with John Mark McMillan, Andrew Peterson and Tyson Motsenbocker.

Lucas27 likes this.
  12. Lucas27

Trusted

I will say I think there's a lot of hope to see My Epic further down the road. If they're releasing a new EP every year I can't imagine that they wouldn't do small tours for each one. Open Letter is beautiful. I'm loving every track on this new EP so much.

So glad you're enjoying AP! His music isn't the most immediately ear-catching so I have trouble getting all my friends into his music. He's kind of in that no man's land where he's not "artsy" enough for the indie crowd but not mainstream enough for the CCM crowd so a lot of people sleep on his stuff. Work your way backwards through his discography and I guarantee you that you won't find a sour spot. What's your favorite song on TBEOD so far? I think the one-two punch of "The Rain Keeps Falling" and "Rejoice" is my favorite. And man..."The Sower's Song" is something else too.

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

@Gooddayz @Lucas27 Just to confirm the above: I think My Epic have said they're doing an EP and a tour each year.

Gooddayz likes this.
  14. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah that makes sense, but it's cool to see people liking him here. I heard his last album Light For the Lost Boy and it was good, but I definitely liked TBEOD better. Man I agree with that one-two punch it's sooo good. I love the guest voices on "The Rain Keeps Falling" it brings the song to another level, I'll say that's my favorite. The opener and closer are perfect and I also really like "The Power Of A Great Affection", but man the whole albums flows so well. I bought it on amazon yesterday!

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The dc Talk reunion shows are... on... a cruise...

I've never wanted to be on a cruise so much, lol.

16. Gooddayz

always and forever

Have any of y'all heard the new Everything In Slow Motion EP? The song Runaway is phenomenal my gosh.

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, been listening to it. It hasn't clicked as much as some of his material yet, but I've enjoyed it when I've listened. I just need to listen a bit more!

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I'm not sure if all the songs work, but Runaway and Bad Season are top notch.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

So I'm getting married on Saturday. It felt right to post that here as I've been following this thread for so many years. It feels like I almost know people like @Tim and @Regards. Well, at least your music tastes. I've been very thankful for this thread over the years. Glad it travelled over to Chorus!

Gooddayz and Tim like this.
  20. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Congrats! So exciting. :panther:

You're getting married. @Regards is married. And, I'm happy single. lol.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

More time to post recommendations on this board! ;-p

22. Regards

Formerly: Regards

Congrats man! That's awesome to hear! It's one of the greatest journeys you'll embark on.
    Married and now with our first child. I feel like I'm getting old haha. Don't worry Tim, I'm keeping my eyes open for you ;)

Tim likes this.
  23. Regards

Formerly: Regards

Anyone here listen to needtobreathe's latest song Happiness? Any thoughts on the lyrics? I've been a huge fan of needtobreathe, but honestly if this song isn't satire then I don't know how I can jive with the chorus.

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

how so?
    just checked it out, and it sounds to me like it's a song written to their families about them feeling the pull of being out on the road.

25. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I'm apparently pretty late to the game, but I can't get enough of everything Kings Kaliedescope has released. Man oh man.

Gooddayz, chhholly123 and coleslawed like this.