Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

I wasn't actually among the group that had tickets. Had lots of friends with tickets, several of which had friends and family from out of town coming for the concert. It was the hotel cost that they couldn't get back. This has been a couple of years ago.

2. josephcissell

Regular

I quite liked Captiva as well. I still wake up to the opening seconds of Hotel Aquarium on some days lol. In fact, the mention of Falling Up on this thread sent me to Ebay where I found and picked up Captiva, Exit Lights, and Dawn Escapes. Dawn Escapes is still sealed and brand new somehow actually. So excited to have fresh copies of those coming.

3. Regards

Formerly: Regards

Yeah, there's probably going on more behind the scenes than what's actually known. From what I've gathered in my time in the CCM industry and just general watching of social media, Gungor doesn't seem to extend the same grace he expects back from the more conservative crowd.

Gungor's views don't fall within orthodoxy - at least not anymore.

There's a difference between grace for the sake of differing views and iron sharpening iron and having to take a firm stance because you believe you're leading students into a "worshiping the golden calf" situation. Grace does not mean sacrificing your stance, it means being graceful while still holding onto your stance.

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

care to explain where/how they don't line up?
    I also don't understand you're Golden Calf analogy there, as the Israelite's made the golden calf themselves when they had given up on waiting for Moses to come back/God to show up, and if you're worried about your students worshiping a band playing on campus rather than worshiping with them, you've got other issues at hand.

5. Regards

I would say inerrancy of scripture is a pretty big one - And no, I'm not talking about having a differing view of Genesis. I have no issue with a non-literal 6 day creation view of Genesis, but I would say the inerrant view scripture is pretty orthodox. I mean the dude writes music along side Rob Bell, within The Liturgists who has a long time ago removed himself from any sort of orthodoxy.

The Golden Calf is not only a story where impatience is punished, but also idol worship is. If we're worshiping anything that's not God, then it's an idol. The worry isn't about them worshiping the "band" but rather a false god.

6. gregory

storyintl.org

been listening to the new bethel and onething live albums nonstop for the last month. real great worship

7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Love the Bethel album. One of the best they've put out for a while. Diverse range of songs.

8. Gooddayz

always and forever

Anybody heard the new Phil Wickham album? I love his voice, but it's the first actual album I've heard from him. It was pretty good, but it seemed kinda samey. Like a bit generic at times

9. gregory

storyintl.org

Didnt know there was new phil till I just read that, thanks!

Anyone listen to any IHOPKC stuff/ prayer room? Jon Thurlow has become my favorite artist and the prayer room has played a huge role in growing my faith in the last year or so.

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I have one of Jon Thurlow's older albums and I love it. I occasionally stream the prayer room live stream. Have you got any recommendations of Jon Thurlow's stuff that I might not have heard?

11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

image.jpeg

DON'T TEASE ME.

Kevin360 likes this.
  12. Tim

image.jpeg

Is it all happening!? MY HEART. I DON'T WANT TO LET MYSELF BELIEVE.

coleslawed likes this.
  13. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Holy crap....

14. Gooddayz

always and forever

@Tim Haha would this be like a reunion of some sort?

15. Tim

I don't know. I could see it being a new album, or perhaps just a full tour. If it's either, I will die of pure ecstasy.

chhholly123 likes this.
  16. Regards

I'm guessing some sort of documentary or something. IIRC Kevin's voice is pretty shot after Audio A, and Toby and Michael have a lot of other people that depend on them with their respected projects.

17. Regards

I'm really good at kill this thread for moments at a time apparently lol;-p

18. Tim

I don't think Kevin's voice is shot? He's still doing his own stuff and left Audio A because of creative differences.

I don't think there's any chance this is just a documentary or the like. They wouldn't have this kind of buildup for something like that. Worst case scenario, they're just playing a couple shows next year. Best case scenario, they make a new album, do a couple tours, and then go back to their own things. My guess is something in between.

It's only May, and whatever's going down isn't until next year, so they have time to plan their individual schedules around this event.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. Regards

Yeah, the latest video they posted with all the CCM "giants" teasing stuff leads me to believe you're right. With Kevin though I thought he had to have surgery on his vocal chords? I must have been wrong about that then.

20. ARX39

Newbie Prestigious

can anyone recommend me some stuff along the lines of as cities burn - come now sleep? let me explain a bit more: i'm looking for christian rock albums that are not necessarily straightforward worship music. more, that show a grappling with belief. thanks in advance.

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Least of These-More Than Conquerors and Change Will Come. that first one is prime CNS vibes, little less on the second one.

22. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

I wouldn't call Brand New a Christian band, but my first thought while reading your post was the devil and God are raging inside me. That's what Come Now Sleep reminded me of when I first discovered it. You've also probably already listened to it. Heck, even Daisy fits with that a bit too.

I'm interested to see some other answers.

23. Regards

If you're looking for music along the lines of CN:S, I would recommend just hopping feet first into Post-Rock if you're not already into it. Groups like Caspian, Explosions in the Sky, Saxon Shore etc really fit that sound well. As for the lyrical content, I suppose Pedro The Lion? I've honestly never really given him much of a listen, but IIRC he was a believer who is no longer who struggled with his faith through his music for a number of years. mewithoutYou is another group who through their first two albums really grappled with their faith.

24. Tim

Maybe you're mixing him up w/ the last Audio A singer? ;) Maybe he did, but he's released two albums of material over the past year, so clearly he can still sing. If worse came to worse, he could just sing a small ratio of these songs, lol.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I'd thoroughly recommend My Epic (Yet or Behold or even Broken Voice which is more acoustic based).
    so long forgotten kind of have a little of that vibe too.

coleslawed likes this.