Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 28

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Talking of Underoath podcasts... has anyone listened to this one from Come&Live? It features Chad Johnson so might be interesting but not sure what I'll think...

Just listening to the new album now.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  2. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I find it a bit odd that Spencer insists that Underoath was never a Christian band, despite the fact that there are very overt Christian references in their music, especially on TOCS. I think by including these lyrics they were voluntarily opening themselves up to scrutiny. That said, I can see how that can put a lot of pressure on a band to act a certain way or represent Jesus in a certain way.

Unfortunately, I think Underoath attracted a lot of toxic "Christians" who were quick to pass judgment, particularly when Spencer was struggling with addiction. I can see why he would be turned off by Christianity based on the way many Christians (myself included) reacted when they found out he was struggling. Rather than reaching out and providing support, a large portion of the community went straight to rejecting him and labeling him a hypocrite or a bad Christian. It's unfortunate because obviously I want him to return to his faith, but I can also see why he left.

The Podcast brings up a good point, though. which is that faith should be based on the Gospels and the words of Jesus, rather than the behavior of people who claim to follow Him.

3. Finney

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 12.05.56 PM.png

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

5. Finney

Honestly, I think that's why I am listening to this album a lot. Even though the lyrics aren't always the best, I can SO relate to the spirit behind the songs. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have said something similar to that part right before the last chorus in ihateit.

I think what makes Spencer's withdrawal from the Christian community even sadder for the rest of us is the fact that we can't necessarily pinpoint what it was that caused it. I'm sure the attitudes of other Christians certainly played a part in it...but for him to say something like this, and for the rest of us to not necessarily know the entire story...its just hard to take it all in.

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

We live in a society where we make judgements when we don’t have the full story - and it’s often worse in the Christian community.

I haven’t dived into the lyrics much yet but I’m enjoying the album even though there’s lots that I don’t like. It’s strangely addictive.

7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Chase, I really enjoyed both Underoath episodes. They were sensitively done and very engaging. My office has been empty this afternoon so I listened to them back-to-back. Good to hear your thoughts about the album. I'm enjoying it a lot!

8. I'm honored that I was able to fill up your slow day at the office! ;-p

For real though, thanks for listening. And yeah, even though the album's a disappoint lyrically (whether from a spiritual standpoint or an artistic one), the CD's been blasting from my car basically nonstop since Friday.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah - it’s so strange because there’s so much to not like (some of Spencer’s clean vocals, some choruses, the lyrics being more simpler than the past) but it’s so addictive. A very rewarding and enjoyable album. I seriously loved both parts!

Oh and the sponsor being a country artist was hilarious - I’m glad you made a joke about that because I had a chuckle in the first episode part!

Gooddayz and Chase Tremaine like this.
  10. Yeah..... I genuinely felt bad about the timing of her sponsorship. I considered switching her spot with another artist, but we don't have any sponsors lined up who are any better of a fit for metalcore fans, hahah

11. Finney

Well done @Chase Tremaine! Really great thoughts on the album, as well as the situation as a whole.

12. Gooddayz

always and forever

13. allastud

Regular

Really enjoyed your Underoath Podcasts! I was great to hear a Christian outlet/reviewer not totally shoot down the album just based off the bands new worldview/use of language.

14. Jesusfreakhideout.com Podcast

You can find both episodes here ^ one about Cries of the Past through Disambiguation, then an episode all about Erase Me. You can also find these all by searching for "JFH" on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, or whatever :)

Gooddayz and awakeohsleeper like this.
  15. Thank you! In all honesty, I wouldn't have been nearly as fair or balanced had this album come out a decade ago. (For example, back in 2006 or 07, I boycotted listening to a certain Tooth & Nail for a few years because I was so devastated after hearing a rumor that they smoked weed.) But nowadays, I'm soooo far past those old ideas of trying to force my ideas of what a "Christian" band should be, and I also have much more realistic views concerning the spiritual conditions of the many bands that got lumped into the "Christian" genre because of industry politics.

At the end of the day, I'm just stoked that Erase Me is an album that I enjoy :)

Thanks for listening!

16. Thanks brother!

Finney likes this.
  17. Gooddayz

always and forever

Alright so I got a non music related question. I read an interview involving Chris Dudley and he mentioned how he would still consider himself a Christian even if that name carries a lot of baggage, but he would no longer identify as evangelical.

I would consider myself an evangelical Christian, but when I think of the word evangelical I just think "spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ". I'm figuring out as of late (probably ignorance on my part) that word contains a lot of baggage too. All this to say, how does the world/society see the word evangelical? Like what connotation does it imply now?

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It's all confusing to me these days. It's not a word that I have ever identified myself with to be honest, but that is probably just being in the UK.

I think in society it has definitely taken on negative connotations. It seems as though many people associate 'evangelical' with conservative political views (particularly anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-other religions, sometimes anti-women in leadership too), probably because a lot of evangelical church leaders have married themselves with the Republican Party, no matter the cost.

I can understand musicians who are playing to a whole range of different audiences wanting to disassociate themselves from that kind of label if it doesn't represent who they are. At the end of the day, Jesus never said 'call yourself Christians and start a religion'. If people are trying to follow the ways of Christ, it doesn't matter to me what labels they choose to hold onto.

coleslawed, Gooddayz and SmashRipsaw like this.
  19. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Yup. "Evangelical," at least in the US, is widely associated with conservative ideology and the Republican party. It has basically become a denomination, rather than a descriptive term for one who evangelizes. I tend to avoid that label due to its implied connotations, eg. overly patriotic, anti-gay, pro-military, etc.

coleslawed and Gooddayz like this.
  20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking about from what I've seen, but wanted to make sure. It sucks words like these get derailed from their original meaning. There was a point in my life where I didn't even want to use the label "Christian", but then I got over it.

On a side note I also thought it was interesting how in a recent article Spencer mentioned he doesn't think anybody in Underoath would call themselves a Christian anymore, but Chris recently said he still does. Maybe Spencer meant in the "evangelical" sense, but who knows.

21. awakeohsleeper likes this.
  22. Regards

Formerly: Regards

I personally try to steer clear of the term "evangelical" these days, and I'm probably as theologically conservative as they come as a Reformed Baptist. The term clearly has become a political term, hijacked by a specific political party. If someone asks me that question though and they mean something like "protestant", then I guess I'd say yes.

Chase Tremaine, Gooddayz and Lucas27 like this.
  23. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

24. Gooddayz

always and forever

Random, but fun fact. I ended up showing a good friend of mine Of Man and he loved it. He even made a post on fb calling the album true art haha.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  25. Regards

Formerly: Regards

TIME OUT

@Chase Tremaine is the same Chase that did spoken word at Live and Louisville?

RACHEL THE HELD EVANS I'M OUT.