Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Haven't been following anything with Bradley Hathaway recently, but if the end result is a new album, I'm all in.

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The final so long forgotten album has been released to Bandcamp and will make its way to everywhere else by the end of the week. I cannot recommend it enough. Listen and buy here.

Part 1 of the Bradley Hathaway 'film' can now be viewed. It's interesting for certain. Not what I would say is 'standard Christian viewing' (I don't personally care but thought I should include a warming) but you can tell it has a purpose and message. Looking forward to the second part.

@Tim let me know what you think.

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

need that SLF. I'm so bummed I missed out on the crowdfunding for it.
    and always ready for more Bradley Hathaway.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah I had no idea the so long forgotten record was coming out until a few weeks ago. Would have loved to have backed that.

5. Gooddayz

always and forever

I'm really excited for My Epic and Everything in Slow Motion! I finally checked out their material and it's great.

Is anybody here into Falling Up? I'm listening to their S/T again and man it's amazing.

6. Lucas27

Trusted

Falling Up is incredible. Didn't think they'd beat "Your Sparkling Death" but the S/T is maybe the best way they could have possibly gone out. So good!

Glad there's a thread on this. I don't listen to exclusively Christian music but hearing artists give back to the Creator gives music a power and poignancy that a lot of my other favorite artists (Bon Iver and Mew, for example) lack in their lyrical content. That said, I'm not a fan of almost any CCM with the exception of a few artists. Christian music should be Christ-centered, but it should also be human, and when so much of CCM is processed into mindlessly happy music that many Christians (myself included) can't even relate to, there's something wrong.

Love seeing all the My Epic mentions. "Behold" is one of my favorite albums of this decade and I'd put the band in my top 5. Their new song "Ghost Story" is incredible. "Zion" brings me to tears every time. Not sure I've heard a modern band as purely reverent and worshipful as these guys.

Andrew Peterson is my favorite singer/songwriter alongside Sufjan Stevens. His stuff isn't that gripping on first listen, but I don't know of another lyricist that's as consistently brilliant as he is. And the music is fantastic in a more subtle way than most of what I listen to. It's gentle and comforting rather than flashy. I often describe him as C.S. Lewis reincarnated as a 21st century singer/songwriter. :)

Beautiful Eulogy and basically any other Humble Beast artist are fantastic if anyone is into rap. I'm not but I still love those guys. BE gets into really deep theological ground (pretty decisively Calvinistic) which bothers some people, but I love it.

I second Josh Garrels and Kings Kaleidoscope, and also would mention Kye Kye, Levi the Poet, and Attalus as just a few Christian artists who go tragically unmentioned. I can think of more, but this post is long enough as it is. Ha. :)

Gooddayz likes this.
  7. Regards

Formerly: Regards

I recently found out that Drew Holcomb is a Christian. Discovered him with needtobreate last summer. His latest album is great.

josephcissell likes this.
  8. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I did not even realize they had a set-titled, I will have to check this out!

Gooddayz likes this.
  9. Gooddayz

always and forever

Have any of y'all ever heard of The Gray Havens?

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I haven't! Tell me about them!

11. Gooddayz

always and forever

I just found out about them today. I heard their song Ghost of a King and it sounded pretty good. The lyrics sounded Christian base, so I googled them and found out they're a Christian duo. Wondering if anyone liked them here

12. Blake Brown

Saw his last year on NEEDTOBREATHE's tour and he was great. Can't wait for the 2nd round of Tour de Compadres this year!

13. josephcissell

Regular

YES. I love Falling Up! Been a fan since Crashings, though I kind of lost touch with what they were doing after Your Sparkling Death Cometh. Personally, Dawn Escapes is one of my favorite albums of all time. So pumped that someone else is into them!

Drew is great, got to see him last summer on TDC as well. His wife Ellie also makes music!

14. Kevin360 Apr 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2016)
    Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

There's this fun story where the seminary I attended canceled Gungor shows on campus, twice, over theological differences. Was a fun time for all those students to bought tickets, bought them again, and still no show.

15. Regards

Formerly: Regards

I mean, if you're a seminary who's chief end is to raise and train those in the way of God, than canceling a show because the person who would be performing the show because of a wide gap in theological identities makes sense. Sucks for the students, but it was probably a good call by the campus.

I miss the ap.net shrug emoticon for posts like this.

16. Kevin360

Oh, I agreed with their decision. It was just an odd series of events, with booking them, then canceling their show, then inviting them again, then canceling them again. The reasons for canceling them the first time didn't change in the time between the first cancellation and inviting them to play music again.

I don't have the full details behind why the decisions went down in the order that they did.

17. chhholly123

I dunno, that's what kind of bothers me about certain sects of Christianity, they are unable to engage with anyone that doesn't share their exact beliefs. I don't think a concert on campus equals an endorsement of everything they think. And as an institution of higher learning, they should be exposing students to more than one way of thinking.

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

19. Gooddayz

always and forever

I only know a handful of songs from their early material, but it's great. You should listen to their later material like Hours and S/T. It's definitely different, more experimental/spacey if that makes sense.

josephcissell likes this.
  20. Kevin360 Apr 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2016)
    Kevin360

When I say I agreed, it's more along the lines of agreeing about differences, and if they thought they were sacrificing "essential" theology by associating with the band, they should cancel. It was just stupid that they did it twice.

On a personal level, I can cooperate with and happily hold discussion with those who even drastically differ theologically from me. This opens up a whole other conversation though.

Back to the music, I need to get back into John Mark McMillan again.

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it's unfortunate that the seminary isn't showing grace for those with differing views that still fall within orthodoxy, though.

22. chhholly123

Once Captiva came out, I was hooked. I feel like every album is their "last", didn't realize they had a S/T.

23. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Still sad at how awful new Newsboys album is...breaks my heart

24. chhholly123

Yeah, I still think Christians are kinda called to "associate" with everyone. Seems kinda what Jesus would do. But I get it, I graduated from (and subsequently almost worked for) a VERY conservative bible college, so there are other things to worry about—alumni, donors, parents, general reputation, etc. I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I understand where they're coming from, just don't agree.

It is weird that they did it twice, and a real shame. Did you at least get your money back?

coleslawed likes this.
  25. Lucas27

Trusted

Coming from a reformed background, where it's "grace grace grace," the double standard of preaching absolute grace and not showing it to those who adhere to other doctrines has always rubbed me the wrong way. If you know Scripture so well then build relationships and open dialogue with the opposing side so you can have iron sharpening iron.

I personally disagree with Michael Gungor's views, but I disagree way more with the response to it. I'm still all about the teaching I grew up in, and I'm genuinely thankful, but I've distanced myself from that community a little.

As for music, anyone here ever listen to Andrew Peterson? He came out with a new album last October and I think he's one of the best singer/songwriters out there.