Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Christian Music Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Grew up on dc Talk, Jars of Clay, Audio Adrenaline, etc. Still love those bands. Also into Lecrae, Audrey Assad, Gungor, John Mark McMillan, David Crowder, TobyMac, Propaganda, and some other stuff.

If you have nostalgia for some stuff, discuss! If you're a Christian who loves church music, discuss! If you're not a Christian but still appreciate some stuff, discuss!

If you think Christian music is cheesy and/or bad, you're not alone and not completely wrong, but negativity is boring, so go discuss something else!

:folded::100:

Eric Wilson likes this.
  2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Im a Christian and i love music :)... never really gotten too into the "christian music scene" thought tbh. Pretty much Thrice and mewithoutYou are the closest for me haha.

Tim, i think years ago on AP you recommended me a band called Christian band called "My Epic" (it may not have been you, but i wanna say it was)... You get any more recs you wanna throw my way?

3. Tim

Probably was me. I was really into them when Yet came out but haven't listened again in a while. They had a new album a couple years ago and I think have another coming up. Still listen to the song "Lower Still" a lot, though.

I think I recently gave you recs on AP.net? Maybe not. Any genre(s)/style(s)/vibe(s) in mind?

4. Kennedy

probably someone else because i have only been home from my mission for my church for 9 months (was gone for 2 years) and i havnt talked to anyone about christian since being back!
    Well, lately ive been really into catchy rock music... that is like the most broad sound ever haha. im pretty much willing to give anything a shot that you think has been good recently!

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Tim

This is probably the closest I can think of that fits what you asked for. I really liked John Mark McMillan's album Borderland from a couple years ago.

6. Regards

Formerly: Regards

I'd recommend checking out Kings Kaleidoscope and Josh Garrels who are currently both rocking my world.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

YES to Kings Kaleidoscope, forgot about them, "Felix Culpa" is a great song.

Also, I see a @Regards post in a Christian music thread, which was the last thing Chorus needed to feel like home.

8. Tim

@awakeohsleeper, I see you're on these forums now. Heads up that this thread exists, though I'm sure it'll be as slow as the AP.net one was, lol.

9. Regards

Formerly: Regards

We can now @ people? This is ridiculous. I love it. All the functionality I wanted out of ap. Thanks @Tim :D

Tim likes this.
  10. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Hey there, I like Christian music

I can't stop listening to Tyson Motsenbocker's debut right now. Also the new Gungor album.

11. Tim

Still need to hear new Gungor. Liked the last one a lot. How does this compare, since they're in the same album set?

12. chhholly123

@Tim I like it, I'd say it's very similar in tone. A lot of songs start pretty sparse as far as instrumentation and build. "Ethereal" is I guess how I would describe it. But definitely sounds like a continuation of Soul.

13. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

@chhholly123 hadnt heard of Tyson Mostenbocker before - sounds really good! Thanks!

@Tim were you jesusfreak on AP?

chhholly123 likes this.
  14. Tim

xJesusFreakx to be exact, lol. Yep.

15. chhholly123

Yeah, I thought that was a great pick for Tooth and Nail, so unlike most of their other stuff. He's had some cool interviews on BadChristian podcast, Break it Down, and Lead Singer Syndrome if you're into stuff like that.

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

@Tim Hooray! I wondered if this thread was going to return. I stuck with the same username. I love that you managed to get 'Tim'! Brilliant. Loving the new forums and the extra functions.

Tim likes this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Right... the upcoming Christian music releases I'm excited for are: so long forgotten (final album next Friday), the new Everything In Slow Motion EP, the new My Epic EP and the new Bradley Hathaway project. The latter is intriguing... I believe it's a film and part one was released a few days ago, part two will come in May and an album will follow late summer. Anyone watched it yet? Haven't had chance?

What are people's most anticipated albums for this year?

Favourite releases so far have been Gungor's Spirit & Bethel Music's Have It All.

18. chhholly123

Yo I keep forgetting about My Epic but that should be awesome! Bethel always puts out quality worship, I will have to check that out.

19. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Hey just out of curiosity where did you go in your mission?

20. Kennedy

Atlanta Georgia! Love that place so much.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. Connor

Oh that's awesome! I was gonna go to Toronto, but had to come home just before flying out due to some health issues. I really wish I could have still gone though.

Yeah Atlanta is awesome, I went there once when I was a kid for about a week!

22. Kennedy

Sorry to hear that man, hope everything is good for you health wise now! You watch conf this weekend hah?

fenway89 likes this.
  23. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

I've been listening a lot to Hillsong United - Empires and their new Hillsong Young and Free album

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Needtobreathe's Tour de Compadres looks rad again this year. wish John Mark Mcmillan was on the second leg, though. don't think he's been here since he was on the final DCB tour with Gungor.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  25. Connor

Haha I did! I missed going to see Caspian and Underoath (didn't really care about Underoath a whole lot but wanted to see Caspian pretty bad) for the Saturday night session! What about you?