Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chris Gethard Show (Fusion) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by joe727, Apr 29, 2016.

1. joe727 Apr 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

I love this show so very much, and have been a fan since it was on public access, and I try to spread the word about it whenever I can.

Hosted by stand up comedian and improv veteran Chris Gethard. It's very difficult to describe it, it's almost like it takes the basic template of a late night talk show but pushes the boundaries to the point where it's not even recognizable as a late night talk show. It combines weekly celebrity guests, viewer skypes and phone calls, games, improv, characters, audience interactions, music, and the occasional Andy Kaufman/pro wrestling-esque blending of reality and fiction. It has a very community oriented DIY Punk vibe to it. The tone can shift from being silly and irreverent, to awkward and sad, to hopeful and inspiring in the span of just minutes.
    From Chris Gethard himself describing the show
    It's also important to note that the show gives a tv platform to alot of great indie and unsigned bands that would probably not get tv time anywhere else.

It's currently in it's 2nd season and airs Thursdays at 9pm on Fusion, but every full episode is added to Youtube within weeks of airing, so you can watch every episode online.

Here's a recent clip

Here's The Front Bottoms performance on the series premiere.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I need to start watching this. Orlando is on there and he's the best dude.

3. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

If we're being honest, this is easily my favorite TV show. I just...don't really view it in the same way as the rest of TV lol. I used to go every week during public access though and it really means a lot to me. They've been killing it this year too!

joe727 likes this.
  4. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

This show makes me absurdly happy

5. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

are the Fusion episodes a good starting point or do you have to have seen the public access stuff?

6. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

You can definitely start with the Fusion stuff and not feel like you're missing anything. Fusion also has edited versions of some of the best public access episodes if you want to get an idea of what that was like.

7. joe727

Yeah I'd say start with the Fusion stuff and if you dig it then go and watch some of the public access stuff.

The two public access episodes I always recommend to people are Lookin at dicks for an hour: A new low and First Times. Also any Sandwich Night episode is a good time.

8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I always tell people to watch I'm Nervous All The Time when starting with the public access episodes. It has everything I love about the show, but I think the 10 minutes of "eat more butts" in the beginning has kind of thrown some people off lol.

joe727 likes this.
  9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I wish that I could find torrents of this, always really wanted to watch but don't have internet at home so streaming doesnt work for me

10. joe727

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure how active/seeded these torrents still are but here's most of the public access run!

TCGS Torrents

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

thanks for this! will give it a whirl tonight

13. joe727

One thing is don't try to go chronologically. I think even Chris would admit the first 10 episodes or so of the public access version are almost unwatchable.

I mentioned before the two episodes that I always recommend to people but I think the ones most accessible to new viewers are probably the Crowd Sourced Characters Contest episodes, the Night Of Zero Laughs episodes, and the Loser is the new Nerd episodes, those are the ones that got me hooked.

14. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Or go with the classic strat of picking a random one from somewhere in the middle! It might be good, it might be bad, but I guarantee it will be unlike anything you've ever watched.

joe727 likes this.
  15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'd second the Crowd Sourced Character Contests and Zero Laughs episodes. The Murf Vs Gimghoul episode is very different (really more of a weird special documentary than a TCGS episode, but I love it.) Lookin At Dicks In The Dark was one of my first episodes and is still one of my favorites.

joe727 likes this.
  16. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

This show better be back for a third cable season. It just brings me so much happiness.

joe727 likes this.
  17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

watching Night of Zero Laughs III, losing it

18. joe727 Jun 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2016)
    joe727

Best episode they've done since the move to cable, hands down.

Can't wait for pro wrestling themed season finale next week.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  19. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Was at this one in person, it was perfect. All of my guesses were very, very wrong lol.

The wrestling episode next week is better though.

joe727 likes this.
  20. joe727

As a huge wrestling fan, the wrestling centric episodes of the public access version were some of my favorites so i'm pumped.

Who was the guest? I was hoping Colt Cabana would make an appearance.

21. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

He does, they also get Rhino and I think one more pro wrestler. And Jon Hamm, for some reason lol. Not that watching Jon Hamm getting pounded on by professional wrestlers could ever be a bad thing. The whole episode feels like Chris living out a childhood dream though and it's just the best. Also Beach Slang as the musical guest!

joe727 likes this.
  22. joe727

omg i'm so excited.

23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really excited to see how they edit it. Watching live it was basically an hour long wrestling match with murf doing some commentary, but I'm sure they're going to add tons of pre-taped promos and interviews to this one.

joe727 likes this.
  24. joe727

I just did some searching on twitter and found out the third wrestler is Sean Waltman/X-Pac and now i've even more excited.

25. joe727

I just finished the season (series?) finale and if that's how TCGS could end that's incredible.