Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 429

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Meanwhile myself and @Chase Tremaine have exchanged EP's.

I will review Waking Up to Never Die - Citizens.

They will be reviewing one of Can't Swim - Foreign Language EP, or Death Cab For Cutie - The Blue EP (gave them the choice, they are gonna listen to both and choose one to review).

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I DO NOT like that Can’t Swim EP. I can’t put my finger on why exactly but I think it’s them trying way too hard to sound HARD.

3. Now I'm extra curious

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I'm a long term fan of the band and I love it. I think they pull it off pretty convincingly. I don't think they plan on going in that direction full time, but as a little aside between records I think it's pretty fun. I can see why people might be put off it though for sure!

5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I love all their previous output but I left wondering: “What are you trying to prove?” with the EP. I feel like it borders on corny and their guests outclass them. But in the end maybe it’s just a for fun album that’s not for me!

6. SamLevi11 Dec 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2019)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Paul Cauthen - Room 41

[​IMG]

Paul Cauthen is a country singer from East Texas who started in band Father of Sons before going solo, with Room 41 being his second full length. He has the nickname “Big Velvet” due to his baritone style singing voice, and grew up heavily involved in church music. Being a country artist, I had little idea what to expect, as being from the English Midlands, my country music knowledge boils down to Johnny Cash and the fact my grandfather was a big country fan. Perhaps it was surprising then, that this has been such a hugely enjoyable listen.

Opening with “Holy Ghost Fire”, I was immediately greeting with the signature sound of this album, throbbing bass, minimalist drums and Cauthen’s deep but versatile voice. An impressive guitar solo helps close out this song and makes it a very strong opening.

Third song “Cocaine Country Dancing” is the most immediate, and is the lead single of the album, and tells a fun story of going out and dancing, with some great female backing vocals. The intro to the chorus doesn’t get old, as he sings “Do we have anymore…. COCAIIIINE?” This was a highlight of the whole album purely based on the fun factor.

Eighth track “Angel” was another song I hugely enjoyed. It was a more upbeat sounding love song, with some driving bass and piano. There’s some nice lyrics here that seem to hint at loving someone so much and recognising you aren’t right for them, as Cauthen opens the track with the words “Go. Pack the car and head for the coast, know that I think about you most, you never rained on me.”

The album is generally quite varied. Second song “Prayed for Rain” has elements that remind of some of the most subdued work of Springsteen, whilst sixth track “Can’t Be Alone” has a hugely gospel influence palette. Clearly taking huge influence from his upbringing inside religious acapella music, this is a great moment that is reminiscent of some work from the great Elvis, and the influence is present in parts throughout the rest of the album.

The album winds down with the religious number “Give Em Peace”, which is largely based on choral backing and winding guitar leads, before “Lay Me Down” closes the album on a sombre note, with slow piano backing, before erupting with a huge swell of violins, as Cauthen sings “come and see me on the other side…”

For me, this album was probably my favourite I have heard since this started back up, and came in the most surprising choice. I loved the blend of country, soul and gospel, and it is unlike anything else I regularly listen to. I expect this to sneak into my end of year list at the last notice.

8.5/10

Recommended tracks: Holy Ghost Fire, Cocaine Country Dancing, Angel, Give Em Peace

This was recommended by @thenewmatthewperry so thank you very much

anonimito, GBlades and Nate_Johnson like this.
  7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

what is this thread, genuinely?

8. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It is an album trading group. Every week we get assigned a random partner and then exchange any album of your choosing. After listening, you post a review. That's it!

9. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

It's on a break for the Holiday period though.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i'd like to join after it resumes

11. @SamLevi11 gave me the Blue EP by Death Cab for Cutie, and I'm floored.

[​IMG]

Having now listened twice (and loved it both times), I think this is seriously the most I've ever enjoyed Death Cab. To be fair, I haven't given them too many chances over the years (I can hardly if ever point to an instance where I've sat down and listened to an album all the way through -- maybe only Narrows Stairs and Codes & Keys), but this was something else. (Or maybe it wasn't? Maybe they're usually this good? haha)

I can't point to too many details just yet, but I simply know that I loved all 5 songs. The ending of that last song sweeps me away, especially, but the feel and mood and dynamics and production of each track is always spot-on. Can't wait to keep spending time with this one. And it gets me wanting to finally dig into their whole discography.

12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Glad you enjoyed it. This EP is definitely a step back to their older sound, it's a bit stranger and less polished than their last few releases.

Also the bass player in this band is consistently phenomenal.

Generally, their best albums are considered Transatlanticism and Plans but I think they're all different and quite interesting. Hope you enjoy digging into their music!

Chase Tremaine and Nate_Johnson like this.
  13. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

Happy Holidays, everyone! Here is my review of Sherwood's QU, recommended to me by @troyplaysbass.

Sherwood’s QU is a well thought-out and grounding/grounded album that breathes beachy California vibes into each of its twelve tracks. The Beach Boys influence is strong but Sherwood manage to have a sound that’s completely their own with modern-day indie riffs and the crisp vocals of Nate Henry coming in calmly through the speakers.

QU is an easy and enjoyable listen, with songs such as “Make it Through” bringing me into to a bright summer day and “Ground Beneath My Feet” painting a picture of how a broken heart feels like swimming in the ocean, but only in a way that ever feels honest and visceral rather than corny and forced.

I got a funny feeling that it’s my day to leave
    Shoulders down, the sweat drips across my cheek
    As I turn I can taste the salt in the shallow sea
    I feel the hearts beating next to me
    I hear the chatter of my teeth

And I look around to see the ground beneath my feet
    The final thrill, the quiet spill of our retreat
    Do you see the waves running away from me?
    Can you taste the cold here in the air I breathe?
    Why’d you let me go?
    ‘Cause I can no longer see

The band's honesty and modesty are two of the best highlights of QU, as Sherwood establish themselves as a band with a story to tell in a way that is original and inviting. Initially, I wondered if Sherwood may be a Christian band due to the style of how their songs have an existential yet upbeat element to them but they are not.

"Not Gonna Love" is a standout track for me, with a driving force of instruments that includes but is not limited to drums, keyboard, and guitar with Nate Henry crooning about how he's "not gonna love until he knows what he's given up," an introspection on how he doesn't want to lose more than he's already lost while in love.

Hey!

I am the favorite
    In a fight that I can't win
    So every morning
    I take another on my chin

But I never know, I never know, I never know the round I'm in, yeah

So I'm not gonna love when I know what I've given up
    Not gonna love when I know what I've given up
    Windows open
    Daylight broken
    And I'm not gonna love when I know what I've given up

QU deals with the subjects of growth, heartbreak, and trying to find a sense of belonging across 12 tracks in 42 minutes, which is the perfect amount of time for the record. While many of the songs cover similar subject matter, they aren't repetitive and a fresh perspective is maintained throughout. A solid record from a solid band!

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is refreshed and full of great resolutions to kick this year and decades butt!!!

I’m hoping to get us back in action starting tomorrow. Before I do, I would just like to see if everyone is ready and to propose a twist to what we do.

My proposal: playlists instead of albums. I am sure everyone has heard of the 5x5’s that can be created from your last.fm profile. If not, it essentially takes inventory of what you listen to and then creates a collage of sorts showing each one. You can customize it however you like and it’s actually a great way to show what you have been listening to over the week, month, etc. My idea is to take it a step further and after a week, do a 3x3 and pick one song from each album, create a playlist and trade it with another person. If you don’t have last.fm account you can always get it or you can just make a playlist without it!

If we agree on this, I will give us this week and then start the matching next Friday. If not, the old way is fine as well.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday!

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Ok if/when people are interested in starting again we can go from there! Until then!

16. edisnfg

"I'd Kill To Fall Asleep"

I'm cool with whatever, just made a last.fm account just in case

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Great. Once we get more participation we will get it rolling!

edisnfg likes this.
  18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Hey everyone! Just a friendly hello to see if we are any closer to to resuming? If not, that’s fine as well!

19. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I'd be ok with resuming

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  20. I'll submit my (late) review of Bishop Briggs' album later this week, but I don't think I'm ready for the following weeks yet

21. I'll probably sit out for a bit as well.

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Ok. I’ll check in with everyone next month.

23. Crisp X Jan 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 12, 2020)
    @GBlades gave me Champion, the new and second album by Bishop Briggs, to listen to last month. I gave her previous stuff a go and have to admit I didn't really like it. It was formulaic, all blended together, and the production was a bit on the cheap side. However, she has got pipes for days, and I did appreciate the trap twist on the pop soul style, which I'm sure would do well in the charts next to Rag'n'Bone Man. She's got potential, so let's see how this one goes now.

[​IMG]

My first impressions are that it immediately seems more diverse than its predecessor. There still are a few tracks with the tricks I hated in the earlier stuff (ie. the handclaps and the Imagine Dragons-y anthemic feel on Tattoed In My Heart, scream-y bits that rub me wrong on My Shine). It still lacks personality as each song makes me think "This sounds like X or Y", but overall she experiments with other sounds a little more this time. Nothing gets stuck in my head afterwards, but a few songs did stand out.

Someone Else has an ominous chord progression that pushes it above your average piano ballad. Jekyll & Hide with its bouncy beat almost gave me Billie Eilish vibes. Lonely is probably the one I liked the most, despite the handclaps briefly coming back to curse me, and sounds like a total hit.

I think this kind of sound is better suited for long summer drives for me so I might come back to this then. I'll take the best songs and run in the meantime. I'll stay curious to check out her new music and see how she evolves over the following years.

One last thing, ending the album with a demo is bizarre. Tove Styrke's impact ha!

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

You ain’t been blue till you’ve had that mood indigo.

25. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I've been listening to this album over the past couple days after the tragic news of Riley Gale's passing :verysad:

If you're a fan of metal and haven't listened to Power Trip, please do yourself a favor and listen to this album.