Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 428

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. edisnfg

"I'd Kill To Fall Asleep"

upload_2019-12-7_18-53-54.jpeg

@troyplaysbass gave me Work/Sleep by The Appreciation Post. This album RULEZ! Seriously though, this a really good album. It came out in 2013, and fits that time period for pop punk perfectly. This album is very reminiscent of Motion City Soundtrack and bands like that. If you like good pop punk or MCS you need to check this album out. All the songs are great and I'm surprised I had not heard this one before since I had heard their previous albums. Thanks again for the rec @troyplaysbass excellent pick!

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

@ugman_2000 recently gave me the Tender Defender ep, which was released in 2016. For those unfamiliar, the band is made up of three people that used to play in Latterman together. Matty is also well known for the band Rvivr. Phil is also known for his work as a producer and for playing in Iron Chic. And Pat played for a while in the band Bridge and Tunnel.

From a timing standpoint, this seems to line up with when they were doing some Latterman reunion shows. The ep, or mini album as they call it, is 5 songs in 24 minutes. If you like Latterman or the adjacent bands that formed from it then you will like this release. It’s that simple. This collection of songs is pretty much if you wrote consistently longer Latterman songs. There are extended intros, bridges, and outros that fill most of the extra space.

The first song on the record (and I think released) was Hello Dirt and it’s probably my favorite track. This is a very fun release because it makes you nostalgic of that Latterman sound in a good way.

I am not entirely sure how I missed this release, but I am very thankful for getting recommended this record! Thank you!

ugman_2000, anonimito and edisnfg like this.
  3. Michael Schmidt

Are we not exchanging music this week, or did I miss it?

bachna84 likes this.
  4. Just realized I completely missed my cue this week, I don't even remember if I was paired with someone

5. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I think we were paired together. I remember seeing the post last week but I got caught in work and forgot to message you afterwards.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I am sorry everyone, I have a lot going on my plate at the moment and can no longer run the CMCS. Things kind of built up quickly. If someone would like to take over for the time being then that would be great but if not I will start it back up soon when things cool down, hopefully in the new year.

7. Michael Schmidt

Hope everything is ok homie!

anonimito and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

9. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

anonimito and Chase Tremaine like this.
  10. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

11. Welp, who wants to trade with me?

12. GBlades

Trusted

Hit me up and I'll trade, got a long commute so can do a few this week! Will also be writing my review from last week. Myself and @disambigujason skipped a week since it was our 3rd week in a row and we were both quite busy.

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

So this review is a little late but I needed another listen to work out how I felt about this (as it turns out, mostly positive), but here goes:

Sights and Sounds - No Virtue

Sights and Sounds is the side project of Andrew Neufeld, the vocalist of Canadian hardcore band Comeback Kid. No Virtue is their second release and comes ten years after their debut album, with an EP released in 2013 too. With this in mind I was curious to see how it compared to his day job.

The album opens with a couple of songs that showcase the sound of this band quite clearly. Large 80’s electronic influences are clear, with passages that seem to pay homage to post-punk and synth pop bands such as Joy Division, Depeche Mode and New Order. This combines with choruses that sound very stadium rock-esque, and showcases Andrews more melodic side vocally.

There are definite attempts at experimentation throughout. Songs like “Serpentine” added some chugging guitars into the mix in a way that I actually thought worked pretty well, and “Caught Up” has a more poppy sensibility and some female vocals that I thought complimented the more laid back part of their sound well.

My favourite song was definitely “Ride”, which sounded like a Turnover song at points in the verses, with a harder chorus, but overall this was a song I thought really worked and would be where I would like the band to explore more.

Overall this wasn’t entirely my kind of thing, if I want the electronic side of things I’ll listen to joy Division, and the American radio rock choruses definitely put me off certain songs, but overall it was an interesting and enjoyable release with a couple of songs I found myself returning to.

6.5/10

An enjoyable and different recommendation so cheers to @Nate_Johnson

14. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I think I'm going to have to bail on this for a little bit, I've got 2 outstanding reviews to do and I'm super busy atm. I'm also away over the xmas period so I can't even catch up then. I'm still going to get these reviews sorted in the next week and if @disambigujason still wants to trade this week I don't mind adding another album but I don't think I'll be able to do anymore till January.

15. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Nice review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I totally hadn't realised it came out when they were doing those reunion shows. While imo it doesn't hit home for me as much as the Latterman albums it is a fun little EP. Hello Dirt is also my fav track too :-)

Michael Schmidt and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I think my current partner is also struggling so I'll trade with anyone who doesn't have an active partner or wants an extra trade

17. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Let's trade recommendations!

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

19. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

My Sherwood review will be up shortly! Been quite busy the past few weeks!

troyplaysbass likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Hey guys sorry I disappeared on this for a few weeks. Life got complicated. I'm going to step back and hopefully rejoin in the new year if it's still going. Happy listening, everyone.

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Sorry dude it was a busy week for me too. Seems like a common trend this week haha

22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

It's Christmas time, so I think naturally things ramp up for everyone, I know I won't have a chance to listen to anything between 23rd and 2nd, for instance.

bachna84 likes this.
  23. GBlades

Trusted

So @Petit nain des Îles and I are swapping this week.
    They will take - Bishop Briggs - Champion
    I've swapped - Stacy Clark - Apples And Oranges

B-)

24. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Love that Bishop Briggs album.

25. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

myself and @thenewmatthewperry have unofficially swapped. We don't really have to review these records, it's more a listening thing but I have had a listen and actively want to review mine because it's out of my wheel house and pretty good.

I will be reviewing Paul Cauthen - Holy Ghost Fire.

They will be listening to Dinosaur Pile-Up - Celebrity Mansions.

Nate_Johnson likes this.