Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 417

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Hello

ugman_2000 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Yeah why the hell not.

Nate_Johnson and ugman_2000 like this.
  3. GBlades

Trusted

I'm in, I'm always in.

4. I'm interesting in joining when this starts up again.

5. nickyeatworld

Regular

If it is back I'm 100% in. I still cherish my cmcs days' memories.

(even though I'm somehow excluded from the list)

6. Count me in, on, up, around

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Looks like we are going to have a good number. I’ll make the final head count tomorrow night and will start Friday morning.

As far as rules. there aren't many:
    1. Review can be any length and in any format you are comfortable with.
    2. Albums can be from any year and any genre but just try and be respectful of the other person
    3. Week will reset every Friday morning
    4. Come and go as you please

This is going to be very low key. No stress and lets have some fun sharing music!

8. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I don’t know how that happened buddy

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I’ll give it another shot and see how it goes.

10. I'm ready. Sadly lots of shit took over my life this time last year, but now I'm sure I'll be able to participate regularly.

11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

@ugman_2000 it's us again! I'll compile a little list. I even have an album released today.

14. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome, I've been fairly rubbish on new music recently so throw me over whatever you feel like :-)

I'll have a think when I finish work and pm you something, let me know if there's anything genre wise you definitely don't want.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  15. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Nope, send me anything at all.

Except jazz or ska. Please no jazz or ska.

Chase Tremaine and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

Awesome! @Kiana and I will work at it soon!

EDIT: We still working off the same timescales or...?

Kiana likes this.
  18. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

So starting off the CMCS trades again @SamLevi11 and I have decided on the 2 albums below. We’ve both gone for Emo bands, one a brand new release today and one from from 2014.

Sam’s given me Macseal’s Super Enthusiast. This came out today and I’m stoked to hear this as I’ve heard good things about this band.

I’ve given Sam, Johnny Foreigner’s You Can Do Better. A great album from a UK band that I think would do well in today’s Emo revival scene if they were still active.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I’ll post new pairings every Friday, so a week

GBlades likes this.
  20. edisnfg

"I'd Kill To Fall Asleep"

I’m down for next week!!

ugman_2000 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I am excited to read the reviews on both of these. Two very good albums.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  22. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

This is my review for the album @Patterns in Traffic gave me on Monday, before the CMCS came back in all its former glory. This album is Small Talks - A Conversation Between Us.

AF0E186F-EA0E-4114-BE78-B2955536CB70.jpeg

I had never heard of this band before and didn't know what to expect. This was a very enjoyable listen. It is not in-your-face workout music, but rather a pretty chill, but catchy record. My favorite tracks were Better For It, Quiet Sounds, Nicotine & Tangerines, Thinking of the Sun. This might not make my top 10 of the year because I've heard a ton of great records this year, but it won't be far.

teebs41, SamLevi11, anonimito and 2 others like this.
  23. Glad you liked it! I actually wrote a review of this album myself shortly after it came out just because I didn't see much about it online, but then I didn't end up doing anything with it. I'll post it here just to get it out there in some form (and hopefully encourage a few more people to give the album a try). Don't expect this level of detail in my future CMCS reviews though!

Micool1, Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  24. Patterns in Traffic Nov 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2019)
    “The thing that makes you strange is also what makes you special. Embrace what you and only you can offer the world.”

“Your value is in what you are, not what you do/own. Understand that you are more than your job, material objects, failures/successes, your friends and your environment.”

“You’re a part of the world and you are capable of anything. Manifest the life experience you’re dreaming of. Today is a really big day, & it belongs to you. Live it.”

As unbelievable as it may seem, the previous quotes can be found on Twitter in the year 2019. They are taken from the account of alternative pop band Small Talks, and like the band’s music they are the artistic expression of Myrtle Beach native Cayley Spivey.

As if her social media presence weren’t enough for her to stand out, Spivey also happens to have released a juggernaut of a debut full-length album in February’s A Conversation Between Us. As the title suggests, the lyrics are full of the kinds of personal thoughts that are often reserved for close friends. Take mid-album standout “Bed,” wherein Spivey confronts depression with the most somber vocal delivery heard across these ten tracks. Over a sparse backdrop of piano, drums, and bass, you can practically hear her sighing as she delivers lines like “I don’t ever mean to make you feel bad for me, but lately I feel like a burden to my friends and my family.”

Elsewhere, “Oceans” (“You said ‘no strings attached’ as I was tying weights around my ankles for you”) and “Teeth” (“You taught me how to look for the thorns on all of the roses / You taught me how to love no one but you”) form a one-two punch of songs that have no business being this catchy as they wallow in the details of toxic relationships. While the subject matter and instrumental arrangements vary greatly throughout the 35 minutes of A Conversation Between Us, each track here features a head-bobbing, earworm hook from Spivey and songwriting partner/producer Eli Strobeck.

Album opener “Better for It” and singles “Quiet Sounds” and “Nicotine & Tangerines” take a more straightforward pop approach to becoming nestled in your subconscious. Meanwhile, closing track “Thinking of the Sun” is the largest sonic departure on the album, featuring stadium-sized production and electronic flourishes that result in a high-energy track that would feel at home on a PVRIS record.

It’s remarkable what Spivey has accomplished on her first full-length album as Small Talks. A Conversation Between Us will pull you in with its sugary pop hooks, hold your attention with a diverse range of sounds and moods, and fully engrain itself with the depth and intimacy of its lyricism.

Another of Spivey’s inspirational Twitter posts reads, “Remember to allow yourself to feel everything. Do not try to force away sadness when it comes. If you don’t fully process what you’re feeling when you’re feeling it, you won’t grow. Feelings come and go and with each you learn an important lesson.” It’s clear that she was practicing what she preaches when creating A Conversation Between Us. And now it can serve as a catalyst for others to feel, and grow, and learn. Or just to sit back and enjoy the hell out of a great album. It’s your choice.

25. Nate_Johnson Nov 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2019)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Fantastic review! I know you have adored this album from the moment you heard it. After listening it really is a great album and I think fans of a band like CHVRCHES would really enjoy it.