Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 399

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Nearer My God-tier

2. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

4. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I’m so confused as to what’s going on in here lol

Bad Frequencies and Nate_Johnson like this.
  5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Nothing to see here. It's just a Monday on the internet.

Nate_Johnson, Davjs and ugman_2000 like this.
  6. BTDandFeelingThis

I’m doing brackets again and then chaos ensued

7. BTDandFeelingThis

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

9. BTDandFeelingThis

10. For the first time in like two months I'm sufficiently caught up on new releases and I've been spending the day just kind of...listening to whatever I want? Stuff I already know I like. Foreign concept but it's been very enjoyable. Though it's also weirdly intimidating to have the freedom to listen to any damn thing. I keep second-guessing my choices and wondering if there's something else that would hit me a bit harder at the moment :-)

Anyway thought I'd drop in on my old friend the CMCS thread and leave a few recs of great albums that I revisited today that seem to be pretty unknown/underappreciated/forgotten/etc.

Punky/reggae-ish influence?
    [​IMG]

Synthy, poppy alt-rock
    [​IMG]

11. Also while I'm here pontificating into the ether, I'm seeing Sir Sly and Joywave tonight on the first date of their tour and I'm very excited. I think they're two of the more interesting bands doing the indie alt-rock thing at the moment and this will be my first time seeing both of them. :rock:

Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  12. CMCS show review because I refuse to let this thread die.

The Slywave tour (Joywave and Sir Sly) was awesome and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's into electronic-tinged indie/alt-rock. These bands don't sound super similar (Joywave has a more electronic focus with bigger alt-rock choruses, while Sir Sly has a more chill vibe and more hip-hop influence), but they both do an excellent job blending electronics with natural instruments and it makes for a very cohesive evening. I really think they are a perfect pair for this kind of co-headlining tour. Both bands sounded fantastic and their songs sound huge in a live setting.

I went to the first date of the tour in Baltimore last Thursday. They played the Baltimore Soundstage, which is a mid-sized music club/bar that offers a pretty intimate atmosphere. I was surprised to see the place pretty packed. I guess these bands aren't quite as under the radar as I thought they were, but I was glad to see the great turnout and the energy that the crowd brought throughout the night.

Joywave was up first and they opened with their most recent single "Blastoffff," which was a great high-energy choice to kick off the evening. Frontman Daniel Armbruster mentioned that the bands are alternating who closes each night, and also said that due to the co-headlining nature of the tour neither band would be playing encores. The stage banter was funny and entertaining between songs and the band is plenty energetic, though you shouldn't expect any over-the-top theatrics from either of the bands on this bill.

I won't do an exhaustive review of the set, but Joywave played a 50/50 mix of tracks from their debut album How Do You Feel Now? and their (super duper great) 2017 sophomore effort Content. They played the closer from Content, "Let's Talk About Feelings," for the first time ever live, and it was definitely a highlight of the set. They also debuted a brand new song called "Obsession." After "Let's Talk About Feelings," they left the stage for a short intermission and returned moments later with a spirited performance of the title-track from Content to kick off the second half of their set. Other highlights were the back-to-back bangers "Shutdown" and "Doubt" late in their set, and their "last song," which was a mashup of two of the more electro-heavy tracks in their discography, "Tongues" and "Destruction." This made for a full-on dance party in the venue.

Sir Sly played in front of like a ten-foot tall brain that lit up different colors throughout the night. Pretty entertaining in the way of concert/lighting props. They opened with a new song called "Welcome the Pressure," which may have been the most rocking song in their set. It will be interesting to hear what their next album sounds like if this is an indication of the direction they take. Their set was weighted heavily toward their most recent album Don't You Worry, Honey, with nine songs from that album versus only two (singles "Gold" and "Ghost") from their debut You Haunt Me. I was struck by how big the Don't You Worry songs sounded in a live setting, despite much of the album being somewhat instrumentally sparse on the record.

The somber "Oh Mama" (which is probably my least favorite song on the album) ended up being a live highlight as it built to an amazing climax with frontman Landon Jacobs howling over a pre-recorded gospel choir while the live instruments provided the energy. Jacobs was very open between songs and talked at length about the struggles he went through between albums, including a divorce and the passing of his mother to brain cancer. He gave credit to his two bandmates for helping him out of depression and giving him the strength to write and record Don't You Worry as a way to heal and get back on his feet.

Throughout the night, I was impressed with multi-instrumentalist Jason Suwito, who really carried the instrumentation for this three-piece. While Jacobs provided the vocals and guitar and Hayden Coplen manned the drums, Suwito deftly switched between keys, samples, bass, and electronic drum pads. It was common to see him playing a bass line by hammering on the strings with one hand while playing the keys with the other hand. Very cool.

The show was the live debut of Don't You Worry track "Trippin'," which sounded great. Other standouts included "2am," "Astronaut," and "Change." And Sir Sly ended the night with the one-two punch of recent singles "High" and "&Run." It was an awesome way to end the night on a high note, and left me wanting more to the point that I looked to see if the tour would be hitting any other venues close enough for me to go experience it for a second time (alas, it was not to be).

In summary, you should go to this if it comes near you! These bands are both great live, put on a tremendous show, and their sounds complement each other perfectly. It makes for an amazing night of live music.

13. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

In about an hour there will officially be a Mrs. CMCS!

14. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Big congrats for today Kev. I hope it’s all gone well and that you’re having an awesome day :-)

15. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  16. BTDandFeelingThis

The club would have turned 1 this month
    :verysad:

17. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

The club isn't dead, it's only on a break.

18. ::insert Ross Geller gif::

19. bachna84

This thread is being bumped due to a potential scandal!

@Bad Frequencies In your review for Turnstile’s new album you say “The moment you hit play, you are treated to a ferocious and in your face sound, something akin to Deftones or 311”

....................have you heard 311?

20. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Move over @Nate_Johnson, @Kevo now has the most laughable RIYL in the club's history.

21. BTDandFeelingThis

Yes. That’s a random as hell question lol

Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  22. bachna84

23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Now I want to listen to some 311!

24. BTDandFeelingThis

I’d have to revisit them to pick favorite songs.

anonimito and Nate_Johnson like this.
  25. Davjs

Trusted

Creatures For Awhile x5

No other way around it.

anonimito and Nate_Johnson like this.