Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 293

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I personally like the one week turnaround we currently have. If it starts to pile up, as it did for me a little, I just benched myself for two weeks to get them all done and allow for my current busy fortnight.

I'm one of those who submit longer reviews so writing time is partially an issue, but it is more that I don't have the time to listen to much new music until the week after next. I would be okay with going to two weeks but I do feel enthusiasm would be drained.

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Another reason why Heavy Things why are in my top 10:

ugman_2000 likes this.
  3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

[​IMG]

I was partnered up this week with @jorbjorb . He assigned me A Great Big Pile Of Leaves- You’re Always On My Mind. This was a band that had been on my radar for a good amount of time, I just hadn’t gotten to them, so I was very excited to get started on this record!

The record begins with “Snack Attack” with the singer using his falsetto and singing some “ooo’s” before the music kicks in. This is something that repeats throughout the song. The singer has a pretty unique voice that’s hard to compare to anyone, but the music in the background reminded me a lot of Minus the Bear and Young the Giant with the effects they’d use on the guitars, and the clean tones they used in the verses. They also had some nice staccato guitar playing on this track as well. I have to admit my first impression of the band is that they were not what I was expecting. I was expecting based on bands I’d seen them play with/mentioned with that they were more of a “quiet” indie band in the vein of bands like From Indian Lakes. The next song “Flying Fish” kicked in with a similar vibe to the song. The guitars are already the favorite part of my record at this point. “Pet Mouse” kicks off with the bass and guitar going back and forth, before the full band kicks in. This song had a very catchy chorus, and was again carried heavily by a catchy guitar lick. The next song “Slumber Party” was another fun song that was true to its song title, as the singer repeated throughout the verses “let’s have a slumber party” This song also featured some catchy “na na na’s” and some more silly lyrics as he details the way they’d be enjoying their “midnight swimming” by doing a “Cannonball, front flip, belly flop” The song “Back To School” starts with a groove that you can’t help but bob your head to that carries throughout the song. It also features very relatable lyrics as someone living in upstate New York, “where did the summer go?” This song had some of the smoothest clean guitar licks on the record, as well. “Egocentrism” was the most relaxed song on the record so far, with the singer singing in a lower register and not really showing much range on it(intentionally of course) The band played a mellow tune behind him, in this short not even 2 minute song. “Ambiversion” started off with another nice guitar part, followed by some very memorable and solid drums in the verses. The way the singer and drummer worked together in the verse also reminded me of The National in a way. The song ended with the last chorus, with hand claps to carry the chorus to the end. “Fun In The Sun” again started with some memorable drums prior to the guitar coming in. This was probably my favorite song based on the music itself. I loved the way the drums and guitar sounded on this track. “Lotus Of Control” starts off with an acoustic guitar, before going into a nice lead guitar part. This was probably the most laid-back song on the record, and very enjoyable. There really isn’t a bad song on this record. The next song “Pizzanomics” (Great song title) I believe is the proper last song on the record (Spotify has a bonus track) It starts with one of the most memorable guitar parts on the record, and sounds like a proper ending to the record from the start. I loved the build up that ended the record in the last 20-25 seconds of “Pizzanomics” The end of this record is probably my favorite stretch with “Ambiversion” “Fun In The Sun” “Locus Of Control” and “Pizzanomics” being some of my favorite songs. The bonus track, “Learning Curves” sounded like it would’ve fit in perfectly with the record, and I’m surprised it’s not just a standard track (maybe Spotify is wrong and it is)

This record was definitely carried by the band itself. The singer had a good voice, and it’s no knock on him at all. I just felt that a lot of the melodies were carried in the music itself (the guitar especially) and that most of the memorable parts of the record originated from the band. This is a very fun record musically, and lyrically and will be a fantastic summer record! The timing couldn’t have been any more perfect for me to be shown this band. I heard influences like Minus the Bear, Young The Giant, 311, Dear And The Headlights, and The National scattered throughout the record; all bands I thoroughly enjoy.

This is definitely a record, and band I’ll revisit often. I’m glad I was introduced to them through this thread. They also have a smaller discography, so getting caught up shouldn’t be a problem or time consuming at all. Thanks for the great rec bud, and making me finally get into this band!

Favorite Tracks: Snack Attack, Pet Mouse, Back To School, Ambiversion, Fun In The Sun, Locus Of Control, Pizzanomics, Learning Curves

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Just seen this. Yeah. The Front Bottoms released a new EP last Friday! It's the second "Nan" EP, following Rose. They basically get the nan to choose some songs from their self recorded demo albums and they rerecord and rearrange them. It's a cool concept and they chuck in one new song each time too. Rose is my joint favourite release from them and I like the new one a lot too.

I Think your Nose Is Bleeding and Lonely Eyes are the best on it imo.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Nice review! I looked them up after I read this and Justin Pierre from Motion City Soundtrack sung on a few of the tracks. If you mentioned it I apologize.

Also, we may have already talked about this as well but where do you live in Upstate, New York? That is where I am originally from and my parents and a lot of family still live there.

anonimito, Larry David and SamLevi11 like this.
  6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Holy what a review man. Thanks.

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

really? which tracks?

8. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I didn't mention or know that he sang on any of them!

I live in Rochester.

Also, I checked out that Heavy Things band based on your hype. Good stuff

9. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

I had no idea this was the concept behind those EPs...I kind of skipped over the Rose EP thinking it was just tracks that showed up on other releases. Now I have to go back to that EP.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Dude that release is incredible. Absolutely do that. Probably the only release where I love absolutely every song. Normally each album has 1, or in the case of the new album and the first album, 2 duds.

highfidelity203 likes this.
  11. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

I'm absolutely going back - that is the only release I haven't heard from them. Glad I read your post on it. I haven't heard Ann yet either.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

You reminded me to listen to Young the Giant again. So good yehaw.

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Let me know what you think, and if you haven't gotten around to it before we get paired at least I have an idea now aha.

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

@Bad Frequencies second bonus trade for me is:

The Longshot: Love is for Losers (2018) Crush Music

This album has been reviewed a couple times on here but to those unfamiliar it is the side project of Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong who has enlisted a few other musicians to help him. This record overall is not that far removed from Nimrod or Warning-era Green Day but also dabbles in rock n' roll with a splash of punk rock and brings to mind acs like Cheap Trick.

The album opens with The Last Time which is straight out of the 50's and even has handclaps, back up vocals and "ooo's" to cement that fact. The thing I love about this record is you can tell Billie Joe is just having fun. There is no anti-political agenda here.

Taxi Driver harkens back to the aforementioned Green Day albums but has this rockabilly vibe that just makes it fun. This song along with Chasing a Ghost and title track, Love is for Losers were all previously released on an earlier EP.

Chasing a Ghost is a great rock track that sounds like it could have been written for Cheap Trick. I love when the chorus kicks in and you can tell the band is just having a blast when they play it. It is essentially about looking back at your past but also keeping one foot in the present.

Body Bag is another 50's era song but is where it's at the high school dance and everyone is slow dancing. I'm not sure what he is talking about in the lyrics either with a girl knitting him a purple sweater?!

Love is for Losers is another stand out for me with this folk/punk vibe and for some reason brought to mind Lucero. One of my favorite bands so I was instantly sold!

Cult Hero is another track that brings to mind Cheap Trick mixed with an older Green Day sound. I love the rockabilly guitar throughout the whole thing. I wonder if he is speaking about himself it it:
    "Oooh, I am the heathen
    At the dog and pony show
    I'm a last of the lesser knowns
    'Cause I wanna be a Cult Hero"

Kill Your Friends feels like another Green Day track and is just a fun rock n'roll song. It's about living in the moment and just having fun. Can't argue with that!

Happiness also feels like a Green Day track, maybe even more so. There isn't more to write about on each song as they all sound fairly similar and as I have mentioned numerous times, its a fun album full of great rock songs.

Soul Surrender has to be my overall favorite track on the album and feels like in encompasses everything he was trying to do on this project. It almost has a Beach Boys vibe to it and doesn't stop from the moment it starts. Just in your face rock!

Turn Me Loose is another one that tips it's hat to Cheap Trick.

Goodbye To Romance is the closing track and has that ballad/lighters out feeling to it. It's a nice closing number but is very different than the rest of the album.

Overall, this is a fun rock album where you don't have sit and digest the lyrics. You can just put it on and rock out. As I mentioned before it is nice to see Billie Joe Armstrong having fun without getting too personal. If you miss that old Green sound before they went into American Idiot territory mixed with a variety of other styles, this is for you. At only 32 minutes in length it won't set you back much to give it at least one spin.

Highly Recommended!

Favorite tracks:
    Chasing a Ghost
    Love is for Losers
    Cult Hero
    Kill Your Friends
    Soul Surrender

15. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Excellent review. Thanks to @Micool1 for showing them to me

anonimito, Micool1 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I've heard a lot about that Longshot record. Is it actually good? Cause I haven't liked anything from Geen Day since 21st Century.

17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Did you read the review?! Haha! If you like Nimrod, Warning era Green Day you will like it.

anonimito and bradsonemanband like this.
  18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I used to live in Syracuse/Marcellus.

That's great! Check them out. Such a great band!

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I must have completely missed that review. One minute!

Edit: Wow, two posts above mine. Completely missed it.

20. yeah it made you look like a real dingus, samlevieleven!

21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I'm gonna blame my one bad eye. The other one must been resting.

22. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I should probably give that Longshot album a try. I gave up on Greenday a long time ago, outside of a few tracks here and there I haven’t liked much since Warning.

23. BTDandFeelingThis

So did I, but Longshot is boss

24. BTDandFeelingThis May 24, 2018
    (Last edited: May 24, 2018)
    BTDandFeelingThis

25. my boy Swappo with Larry David! that'll be a good match.