Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 138

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Yeah get unbenched then y’all can be a partnership

skurt, bachna84 and littlejohn like this.
  2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

skurt, bachna84 and littlejohn like this.
  3. BTDandFeelingThis

Giving you a second chance :) done mess it up!

skurt, bachna84, KidLightning and 2 others like this.
  4. BTDandFeelingThis

Updated

Nate_Johnson and bachna84 like this.
  5. BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  6. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  7. No sir, I was paired with SaveTheEarth for this round

8. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Oh ok! It all makes sense now. Shoot me a DM and we will get going!

9. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

My buddy @js977 and I have decided on what album recommendations we will be exchanging.

I will be listening to State Faults - Resonate Desperate

He will be listening to Embodyment - The Narrow Scope of Things

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I listened to rec fron @bree1981.

Turnspit - I Wonder If They're Happy. I enjoyed this one! My fave song was prob Lamplighters. The songs were all energetic and enjoyable and none dragged or stood our in a negative way. It was short so I don't have a whole lot to say but I liked it.

Rainer Maria - Look Now Look Again. This one I admittedly didn't listen to as much cause I couldn't find it on Spotify. But I enjoyed it also. I was surprised I hadn't heard of them cause they sound similarly to a lot of the older emo bands I enjoy, but I'd never even heard their name come up in conversation! Glad I got to be exposed to it. Gonna listen to it more when I can. Seems nice to have in my back pocket as a rainy day album.

Sorry my review kinda sucks I have a fever and took some codeine cough syrup and tylenol PM and I am typing this and it probably doesn't even make sense and I think I'm typing words but it probably reads like ahdheiebfjaowbdbd. Sry. Tough week for me lol.

11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

@Patterns in Traffic and I are teaming up:

They are going to be listening to:
    Marmozets: Knowing What You Know Now

I will be listening to:
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Wrong Creatures

12. BTDandFeelingThis Jan 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2018)
    BTDandFeelingThis

Alright ladies and gentlemen, its time for me to finish up my session write-ups for the CMCS this week with four albums to lay down my thoughts for. Here there are.

First up is the recs from @Nate_Johnson

Architects- All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us
    [​IMG]

Well this was an experience. Architects is a metal band from the UK, so going in I did not know what to expect from that type of a combination. I am going to be up front about this review, and apologize to Nathan. This is a 50/50 review from me. This album is explosively heavy from the get go intro track of 'Nihilist'. A lot heavier than what I am used to, kind of reminding me of music from someone like All That Remains or that area of music. Which is fine, as you saw from the last review I did of a metal band that Nathan gave me if its done creatively and done right, I can dig it. This album has some of that, but not nearly to the level of the last one. Where the last band he showed me incorporated different elements into the songs, the majority of these is straight up metal rock. However, where this band really does shine is in two parts. The guitars in these songs fucking rip, and the double bass pedals are headbang worthy. The second part is when they do mix singing vocals into the screaming which can be seen in songs like 'Deathwish' and 'The Empty Hour Glass'. These songs incorporate parts singing amidst the screaming, and those are the songs that tended to stick with me on this band. At only 11 tracks and spanning 46 minutes long, this album is a fun quick listen; but sadly not one I will return to much probably. I listened to this album several times, and those two songs along with 'A Match Made In Heaven' are probably the ones that stuck with me the most. Especially the latter, that is probably my stand out track of the album. Its heavier than the two I mentioned before, but the lyrical theme of the song is amazingly passionate and deep. It expresses the rage and feeling of oppression in a situation in a fist in the air and slamming things into the walls sound.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the closing track as well, 'Memento Mori'. Starting off with a sweet and somber sung tone to electronic backgrounds, this 7:00 long song eventually erupts into an explosive closer, a very well done one. I will probably revisit those 3 tracks, maybe a couple of the others, but I sadly cannot see me going back to this album as a whole. 6/10

Parkway Drive- Ire
    [​IMG]

Just to show some extra effort, I decided to check out the deluxe edition of this album that contained some bonus tracks to the list. Delving again into Nate's love for metalcore, and having now heard two bands of his one that I loved and one that I was 50/50 on, I was cautious about what I would hear going into this one. I will say I was pleasantly surprised when the opening track 'Destroyer' turned out to be a legit banger, with a mixture of chanted gang vocals, clean sung lyrics, and heavy as hell screaming that is entwined with powerful guitars and a beat that makes you bang your head even if its the first time you're hearing the song, with dark lyrics and some pretty impressive guitar chords in the chorus. This actually ends up not being a one off either, as this pattern continues through each of these songs. This album is best described as aggression expressed, and this band does it well.

The third track on the album, 'Vicegrip', is a solid demonstration of this powerful music. If you are in to heavy music both in a musical sense and in a lyrical sense, this album has that in spades with many of these tracks rotating from sung lyrics, chanted bridges, heavy screaming, fist pumping drumming underlying powerfully sung lyrics. Its a damn fun ride. I have to make a special note of the twelfth track on this deluxe edition, 'Devil's Calling'. Roaring, well strung guitar lines lead into a song with very good lyrics that shows the most variety in this album. Sung lyrics, screaming, clean and catchy vocals sung in the chorus, faded out lyrics in certain parts. Its a sweet, sweet song about the darkest of places in your life. I highly recommend that song especially. This album fared really well for me, and I can say I am much more likely to return to this one than the Architects album. This one gets a solid 8/10 from me.

I will post the other two next.

bachna84 and skurt like this.
  13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Nice reviews and I figured the Architects album would be a harder pill to swallow. You had mentioned the guitars and I don't know if you looked into the band but the lead guitarist sadly died after the recording of the album from cancer, and a lot of the lyrical themes revolve around that.

skurt, bachna84 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  14. BTDandFeelingThis Jan 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2018)
    BTDandFeelingThis

And now its time for my write ups from recommendations of @Michael Schmidt

Banner Pilot- Collapser
    [​IMG]
    When Michael and I were discussing recommendations, he described this band to me as a 'rough around the edges Blink-182'. You know that instantly had my attention and made this one of my more anticipated albums to listen to this session. I am happy to say this album did not disappoint in the slightest, and that bold statement he made was very well placed. This album definitely sounds very much like a rough version of Blink-182, and very much falls in line with their Dude Ranch song. A good example of this is the song 'Greenwood', which has guitar lines and drumming that I swear could have come from a blink album, and this is VERY pleasing to me. This continues into the song 'Starting An Ending' which was very much a stand out track to me. With pop punk vibes throughout the song, a damn catchy chorus, and insane drumming this song was a blast to listen to and had me hitting repeat a couple times once the song was done playing. I went through this album about four times, when I normally try to do three for these sessions.

This happened again for 'Skeleton Key', which could possibly be my favorite on the album or at least my second favorite. The lyrics are fantastic for this genre of music, the beat of the bass guitar in the bridge and chorus is amazing, and a very Delonge esque guitar riff runs through the song. If Skeleton isn't my favorite, it would take second place to 'Northern Skyline'. Very much a punk rock love song, this is one catchy song that I will admit I blasted quite a few times on my car stereo while driving, which is where I listen to the majority of my music. Its hard to pick a favorite on this album, and that is a very good thing. While the guitars may be Delonge esque in places; the vocalist in this band is very much in the style of Mark Hoppus, you can hear tones and lyrics that are a total Dude Ranch flashback from Mark songs. I don't want to just compare them to Blink in this though, because even removing that comparison this album has merits on its own right. These songs are great, and if you like pop punk or punk rock, you will like this. Especially if you liked the late 90s-2000 brand of pop punk and punk. Catchy tunes, good lyrics and awesome riffs. Well done. 9/10

Cartel- Chroma
    [​IMG]
    YES. That is literally how I am going to start this review. I have to up front and admit that I had heard a couple songs from this album (3 to be precise) way back when the album first came out and I saw Cartel open for Rise Against and that NoLongerNamedBand way back when at a college in Buffalo that I drove 3 hours with friends to see (I knew only the three songs from this album I knew and they covered Wonderwall). 2006, one of the years I was full throttle into this kind of music. This album was an extreme nostalgia trip, and I knew that the second I heard the intro track 'Say Anything (Else)' for the first time in probably a decade. This is a pop rock band at its highest quality. The music is crafted well together, with catchy guitars and catchy vocals. Catchy is going to come up a lot in this review, because that's the word Id use to describe this album. 'Honestly' is a good showing of this, and of course if you were listening to this music back in 2006 this was the song you knew from them. And its no wonder this song was the single. It just screams pop rock anthem for the radio; and I have literally no complaints about that. The strengths of this album continue with 'Runaway', making a perfect 1-2-3 punch of an opening to this album. The vocals in this band COULD be an acquired taste. If you are used to the higher vocals of bands of this genre, than you should have no problem going into this. The album is carried by the guitar and vocals. Drums and bass tend to blend into the background sadly, but the vocals and powerfully emotional and catchy lyrics are more than enough to keep this album going strong even with that small ding to it. That's not to say though that they don't have their moments.

The drums in the intro to 'Luckie St.' are a showing that they are there, and they can be done well. Same with the bass. They are just utilized less. This album is good front to back though. With lyrical themes revolving around love, passion, and emotional struggles there will be a song on this album you like if you ever liked anything from this genre. My favorite track on the album has to be 'If I Fail', which is completely relatable in its lyrical themes and is a high point of the album in vocal delivery in my honest opinion. I listened to this album six times. SIX times. And I purchased it. Which is something I should have done in 2006 when I saw them live, and I had planned to. 9/10.

15. BTDandFeelingThis

I did not know that. That makes the lyrics themes in those songs more powerful

skurt and bachna84 like this.
  16. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Most definitely. You said you had listened to the deluxe edition of IRE and there should had been a new version of Deathless song on there with Jenna from Tonight Alive and actually Sam, the singer of Architects has guest vocals on the new Neckdeep album and it's a really good song.

skurt, bachna84 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  17. BTDandFeelingThis

@ComedownMachine is coming off the bench temporarily for a special, one off trade between us.

He gave me:

Arctic Monkeys- Favourite Worst Nightmare

I gave him:

Hawthorne Heights- Fragile Future

He gave me that one because its one of his top 10 albums and means a LOT to him. I gave him the one I did because this year is its' 10th Anniversary and is also a very important album to me because of the time it came out, as well as underrated IMO.

skurt, bachna84 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  18. BTDandFeelingThis

There was! I actually dug that track quite a bit

skurt, bachna84 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  19. ShadowTh2b

Ultimate Life Form

I’ll jump on the tagging @Nate_Johnson train tonight and post the album review he gave me to do. Forgive me this is my first try at this.

I was given FALL OUT BOY- MANIA. Right from the get go, I knew I was in for a different album than what I was expecting. Young And Menace is an intro that was beyond jarring the first time I heard it but it grew on me with repeated listens. I have always been a fan of Stump’s voice so this made the rest of the album much more digestible. Champion is a fun tune to listen to, I actually was playing the album while I was playing with my twins and I caught my wife humming it because she heard me playing it. This is a unique record, not one song is the same. Some are pop rock, some sound like a more rock version of Linkin Park’s One More Light, and some are just off in their own genre. Which is good, it keeps the album from getting bland or stale. It’s worth noting it’s not like their older stuff, if you like only their pre hiatus work you won’t like this, but that’s a given with their recent output. There’s an ambiance to this album that just made me want to have repeat listens and I am glad I listened to this. Favorite tracks are Champions, Hold Me Tight Or Dont(that whistle got stuck in my head), Last Of The Real Ones, And Churches. Thank you man for a great experience with this. I will be listening to this for a while.

skurt, bachna84, bree1981 and 2 others like this.
  20. ShadowTh2b

Ultimate Life Form

Next week @teebs41 gave me Emery “You Were Never Alone” And I have given him Bleachers “Strange Desire”

js977, skurt, bachna84 and 1 other person like this.
  21. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Heads up, you’re listening to the wrong tracklist

22. BTDandFeelingThis

skurt, bachna84 and Larry David like this.
  23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I do. It’s in my top 10 of 2018 right now and I play it all the time. Great first write up!

24. ShadowTh2b

Ultimate Life Form

Thank you!

I saw that and looked up the proper one after the first time. Much better.

What did I do wrong O_O

skurt, bachna84, anonimito and 3 others like this.
  25. BTDandFeelingThis

@anonimito i see you lurking :) wanna join us?

anonimito likes this.