Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.Fm Users Definitive Albums List • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 29, 2020.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I just...I don't know. I feel like if we go with the "draw your own line" angle (which I am a supporter of), a portion of the site is not going to participate on the grounds that Brand New or blink are/might be included, and then they'll just shit on the list as an outsider, rather than attempting to bolster artists who they feel strongly about. I don't feel like this snowballing

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

At the same time, it is absolutely valid to have qualms with artists that are problematic being included on lists. I'd be super annoyed if TWY cracks the top ten (along with a ton of other artists obviously), but I know I'm in the minority on that one. I'm also not going to call someone out for including them because I have an issue with the band, my issues are well documented.

nohandstoholdonto and Aregala like this.
  3. JM95

Trusted

We could just agree that Blue Bell Knoll by Cocteau Twins is the best album and be done with it.

Cameron, stars143 and Cody like this.
  4. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i will continue to use the internet unphased regardless of the top 50 but again, that's just me.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  5. Cody

Almost picked this one! Little normie picking HEaven or Las Vegas but whatevers.

JM95 likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

There are two options:

- Let people pick their favorite albums

- Deliberately curate an "acceptable" list

If we're doing the latter, there's zero point voting. Let's just have a committee select the approved choices.

Aaron Mook, swboyd, phaynes12 and 3 others like this.
  7. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

How do you guys feel about this list as a research experiment, in this case? If the results come in and the final countdown is jam packed with triggering artists then if nothing else that ought to be a dead giveaway that we've all still got a ton of work to do on inclusion, diversity, and so on.

Although that said you could also easily argue that that is not something that needs research or illustration due to how obvious it already is.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here. I for one will definitely be aiming to eschew the inclusion of shitty people as much as possible on my list. If we're doing a "important to me RIGHT NOW" list then that'll be much easier than trying to do "most definitive personal records of all time" list because the latter is definitely carrying a few stinkers I'll need to reckon with.

8. George

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve edited my list to remove the BN album, as i don’t want to make other people feel uncomfortable in participating, since it’s not like I’m an active member of this site, and it’s not a hill I want to die on, or road I’m interested in going down “defending” any inclusions.

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. soggytime

Trusted

I'm on the side of let everyone decide for themselves who they are comfortable with including in their own personal lists

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. Cody

it could also be a dead giveaway that people are complicated and hold challenging opinions and that listening to any artists with a history of misconduct isn't an end all be all indicator of my moral center. I think that's where I keep trying to hold my opinions

11. cshadows2887

But that's your reckoning to be doing. If you would feel bad that your vote for an album would put it on the list, DON'T VOTE FOR IT. It really seems that simple to me.

If I'm going to vote for an album that people might be displeased to see on the list, I need to be okay standing up and defending my vote. If I'm not okay with that, I won't vote for it.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think it needs to be made clear that including an artist on your list doesn't mean condoning their actions. Van Morrison just released a COVID denying song. He's an old salty grumpy fuck. That doesn't make me love Astral Weeks any less. Kanye West has been espousing horribly offensive, problematic viewpoints for the better part of the decade. That doesn't really shake the importance of his earlier work for me. He sucks, I'm explicitly saying that he sucks. But I think he's made more than one of my favorite/important 50 albums.

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

so are bands like New Found Glory (i would never have them on my list lol) forbidden because they had a member, who they kicked out, that is scum of the earth? is oasis banned because their guitarist said he wouldn’t wear a mask during covid like a fool? are tupac and biggie banned? motörhead? slayer?

let me see the one list with a 50 that doesn’t have at least one band with one member with allegations of some form or another against them in their career. because i haven’t seen it yet.

nohandstoholdonto and irthesteve like this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Listen, I'm ducking out of here anyway so I guess don't pay any attention to anything else I've said. People wanna throw up multiple albums by Kanye or whoever else on their lists and have that be representative of the Chorus users, do what you gotta do.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

my personal stance is make your own list as you deem fit that you’re comfortable with, submit it, and we will see what the final list looks like at the end. if you’re disgusted with the beatles being on the list, or insert any bands name in its place, we can cross that bridge when we get to it and you can post your own list publicly to shit on everyone else’s.

or we can just not do this. this site has such a bad habit with sucking the fun out of community ideas sometimes lol

16. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Pretty much my viewpoint on the matter. I'm not going to cobble together a list of 50 albums to contribute to vote if there's going to be a higher level of curation going on. That's not to say that I won't try to account for accountability when compiling my list together, but there's no point in participating from my perspective when I don't know what's going to be weeded out.

17. cshadows2887

I'm with Spo. Open with a disclaimer that "These reflect the votes of the community. They do not reflect an endorsement of each artists' behavior or personal beliefs. Simply the albums that people love"

18. stars143

Trusted

Disappointed on the lack of Three 6 Mafia on the lists so far.

19. JM95

Trusted

phaynes12 and Contender like this.
  20. Cody

chorus users can like old kanye albums and simultaneously still overall be hugely aware of ways to make music scenes less toxic in tangible and local ways. is that such an outlandish concept? it really doesn't feel it to me

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'm already kinda jaded about this whole thing, tbh

Bummer!

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  22. bradsonemanband Sep 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2020)
    Whatever the final list ends up being, NO ONE is going to be 100% happy with it, so who gives a fuck? Just make your own personal list, and let "the committee" or whoever calculate everything and post whatever it ends up being. It's a fucking game. If you don't want to include problematic artists on your lists, then don't. I think gatekeeping users' personal lists of albums that have impacted them is bullshit.

23. cshadows2887

I'd like to add a quick "hell yeah" to these picks.

jdr2187 and George like this.
  24. cshadows2887

@SpyKi You definitely need to submit a ballot. With you, me, and Craig, there might just be a chance for Chad Perrone. Haha

Craig Manning and SpyKi like this.
  25. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Can’t wait to see how bad this sites taste is.

swboyd, soggytime and CarpetElf like this.