Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.Fm Users Definitive Albums List • Page 53

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 29, 2020.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

wait, the actual final list was posted somewhere? I thought the lists posted were incomplete? what's the final list?

2. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

If I don't like Is A Real Boy will that mean I like the other stuff better, or even worse?

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Even worse

Steeeve Perry and imthesheriff like this.
  4. PauLo Dec 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 2, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

I've only listened to 30 of that top 100. And only 7 or 8 are on my list.

And OH BOY, it's a little bit... white, huh?

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

It's been voted on by a bunch of people raised on emo and pop punk alright

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Genre-wise it's absolutely the most diverse list to ever come out of this site/AP.

7. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I suppose I need to listen to Bruce Springsteen at some point.

8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Historically the music industry has been pretty white and male. Makes sense a consensus-vote list would be, too. This list has moved in the right direction from its historical precedents and I imagine will continue to get more diverse and varied with time if we were to ever do it again.

Also, not to be catty, but to levy that critique at a list you were part of voting for is basically the Spider-Man pointing meme.

9. cshadows2887

I hate you.

Not because you haven’t listened to Purple Rain.

But because you get to experience the joy of hearing Purple Rain for the first time.

10. stars143

Trusted

agreed - could also be that the votes for non-white and male artists are more diverse... i.e. if each list is one-third white, male artists & bands and the rest is a more diverse list of other artists, if there is more consensus on that one-third, they will make up the majority of the list.

For me, I've discovered some gems going through the individual lists. Idk about the aggregated list overall...

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Now is as good a time as any!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

That’s exactly the problem btw. Everyone has branched out in more diverse directions, but if everyone is playing catch-up, then those won’t be consensus selections.

My picks from the Commodores, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, etc., might become consensus picks some day. Or @OhTheWater ‘s undying love of the Spinners. But first everyone would have to hear them, and that takes time.

It’s also why a process like this can be GREAT. It gives people a place to start. I never knew where to begin with Odetta. Now thanks to @jorbjorb I’ve listened.

jorbjorb, stars143 and Craig Manning like this.
  13. Craig Manning

Also worth remembering that the impetus for making this list was the Rolling Stone list, which itself was a re-do intended to correct blind spots of an older list. That "older list" really wasn't that old; it came out in 2003, and was probably pretty formative for some of the people involved in this list (myself included) for shaping the so-called "canon." Music discourse has evolved considerably since then, and with it the kinds of albums/artists that get recognized and acknowledged for their greatness. It will continue to evolve, and lists like this will continue to diversify year-over-year.

stars143 and cshadows2887 like this.
  14. cshadows2887

Which is, of course, the literal definition of progress.

I’m honestly SHOCKED, and pleasantly, at some of the albums on this list. Kate Bush? On this site? Amazing. Joni Mitchell? If you told me in the 2009 shitposting ap.net Wild West, that a plurality of posters would be passionate about Joni Mitchell, I’d never have believed you.

15. Craig Manning

Hell, even if you'd told me 10 years ago that Taylor Swift would eventually place multiple albums on a consensus list of AP.net users, I wouldn't have believed you.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

Same. Tim and I, among others, took a ration of shit for starting a Taylor Swift thread on ap. And now she’s rightfully hailed. Times change for the better

Craig Manning likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

One thing I think people forget (or maybe they weren't around for it) is how narrow the discourse around music was on AP.net in the late 2000s. Like, most people did not listen to or talk about female artists, aside from maybe Paramore. That started to shift around 2009/2010, and has improved dramatically since then.

18. cshadows2887

Even Lights could barely get any traction at first, and she was tailor-made for that scene. Half the posts in her thread were about how hot she is. It was a very narrow little world.

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

Yeah, it could definitely be limiting if you let yourself be bullied into feeling "guilty" about liking certain music.

20. George

Trusted Prestigious

@aliens exist , is there more than the top 100? At what point did you stop compiling them / did the rankings stop making much sense?

Would be interested to see the whole of it, or as much as would make any sense as a "consensus" list!

aliens exist likes this.
  21. aliens exist

pure on main

i have 1757 individual albums listed in a spreadsheet. the album in 101st place (Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile) appeared on 4 lists and received 265 points. the album in 200th place (Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place) also appeared on 4 lists, but only received 169 points

stopping at 100 was completely arbitrary. i can post the list from 100-200 (or beyond if anyone wants that?) later today

do people care about seeing the workings, or should i just post the artists/albums and positions they came in?

George, Contender and phaynes12 like this.
  22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Vheissu was the correct answer you fools

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Vheissu is great but it's the weakest of those 4 imo. Also the only one of the four that wasn't on my list lol.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Thrice has 1.5 good albums and that one isn't a part of it

DaydreamNation and tomdelonge like this.
  25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think it's easily their best work. the best mix of everything they do well.