Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.Fm Users Definitive Albums List • Page 52

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 29, 2020.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So I'm confused. There are too many lists going around right now. What's the official ranking?

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i’m not gonna bother finishing mine tbh. it was taking too long. the most recent one is canon. they showed their work.

3. aliens exist

pure on main

[​IMG]

4. phaynes12

STOP THE COUNT!

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Yeah I know Rumors is a high-selling album but still surprised to see it do well on this site.

6. It's a special record filled with songs that seems to still resonate with folks as early as in their late teens/early 20s

Contender likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Most of this site came from emo. Dramatic songs about heartbreak and complicated relationships. Literally what Rumours is.

8. phaynes12

yeah, of all the high performing albums on this list, rumours is one of the least surprising, and I'm on the record on this site and others with how I feel about it lol

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

There were four albums in the top 50 I hadn't heard in full before. Rectifying that today.

The first: Motion City Soundtrack: Commit This To Memory.
    I've heard and enjoyed the main tracks for 15 or so years, own My Dinosaur Life on CD and have also listened through all of Even If It Kills Me, and have watched the band for a couple of enjoyable festival sets. No idea why I never dived into this album before. I guess I never knew this was The One, more beloved than the rest of the discography. It's pretty much what I expected, super enjoyable pop rock with a pop punk edge and interesting lyrics. It's a bunch of great MCS songs in a row. Will revisit for sure.

The second: Say Anything ... Is A Real Boy
    I remember why I have never heard all of this. I just find it off-putting in a few ways -- very dramatic vocals, an overall air of self-importance, and melodies not really grabbing me. Some interesting lyrics for sure but marred by distracting clunkers (he's currently yelling "I'll kill myself" repeatedly). I will persevere but this one just seems like a "had to be there" right-age-right-time kind of album. I missed it in the moment and now I'm 30, married with kids etc I just don't reach for this kind of music a lot anymore.

Next up: Thrice's Vheissu and The Format's Dog Problems

George likes this.
  10. phaynes12

one of those albums is good, the other three aren't

I'll let you guess which is which

11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

It ain't this one lol.
    I'll give him this -- this guy really will say anything

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

I like all 4 of those, but one is clearly the best (and it was on my list)

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

They’re all good (Thrice is ok) but Dog Problems is the best.

SpyKi likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Commit This to Memory and Dog Problems are great. Vheissu has its moments. Is a Real Boy (and Say Anything in general) is not for me.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Dog Problems is very easily the best of those for me

irthesteve likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

All are great albums, Dog Problems as the GOAT

SpyKi likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

In the top 50 I have not heard The Black Parade or After Laughter

edit:
    Wait no, I’ve heard After Laughter

18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Okay so I have finished ... Is A Real Boy (including the bonus tracks on Spotify) and I kinda get how it pokes fun at genre tropes but I feel like it comes out more grating than the kinds of records it's trying to diminish. (Maybe not all of them, but the worst of the mall-emo bands are so irrelevant and memory holed now that this aspect of ... Is A Real Boy seems virtually pointless.)

My review: For all the time spent talking about sex, the album is very mastubatory.

19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Is a real boy is great. Everything else from say anything is okay to absolutely terrible.

20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Lmao I've only heard 16 of the top 50 albums

21. cshadows2887

I was not a MCR fan when the album came out, but coming back to it like a decade later, that album is pretty amazing. Ambitious. Musically adventurous. A fistful of their best songs all in one spot. Gothy, theatrical greatness.

22. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

It’s the top Bon Iver album, so that makes sense

irthesteve likes this.
  23. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Lol I’ve listened to 95 of the top 100. I’ve clearly been around this site too long.

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

exactly.

imthesheriff likes this.
  25. Looks like out of the Top 50, I just have to listen to Everything in Transit and Purple Rain.

Out of the Top 100, London Calling, Blue, Graceland, Is This It, and Brave Faces Everyone.