Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.Fm Users Definitive Albums List • Page 51

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 29, 2020.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dogleg's Melee taking the #1 spot is shocking, but well deserved

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

:-)

TBH I rarely stray from what I know or what I find outside this website. I know a lot (but definitely not all) of what is discussed on this forum is not gonna be to my taste, so I steer clear. I occasionally give a few artists/bands a chance (Phoebe Bridgers/Fiona Apple/Alex G) and sometimes they stick, but 9 times out of 10, it's not for me.

phaynes12 likes this.
  3. George

Trusted Prestigious

I think I might have heard that Jacks Mannequin album once or twice, but probably not in a ~decade or so, so maybe I should revisit . I do remember not enjoying his voice one bit though.

It’s cool to see it doing well though, it feels like a very “uniquely” AP album pick that wouldn’t really turn up in any other websites top X albums list, so always good for some variety in these sort of lists.

I also haven’t listened to Motion City Soundtrack in a long long while, maybe I should re-listen to that album too. Again another album pick that wouldn’t really appear on any other site’s list, which is cool.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

22AM being the top Bon Iver album is pretty interesting

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve never heard that Jack’s Mannequin album and had no idea they were that well liked, even around here lol. Guess I should listen later!

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's a very good pop rock record

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm surprised people don't know Jack's Mannequin! Maybe because that hasn't been an active moniker in almost a decade? Andrew McMahon/Something Corporate has always been well-liked around these parts, though.

I was also surprised 22 A Million was the prevailing Bon Iver pick. I like that album, but it's pretty firmly my third favorite Bon Iver.

8. Loved the Hotelier album very much in college, although it's not really the kind of music I listen to these days
    Just started to go down the Bruce rabbithole a couple of weeks ago, so that's been fun
    Like the Gaslight Anthem, but The 59' Sound never really struck me that way outside of some standalone tracks
    Never listened to Jack's Mannequin, I used to own a Something Corporate CD that I thought was alright
    Similar to Gaslight, I like Carly Rae Jepsen but the album as a whole has never clicked with me outside of singles

and I absolutely adore albums 6-16 lol

9. 22, A Million is my favorite Bon Iver record because I love weirdo experimental stuff and I think that records melds that with the core of his songwriting expertly, but those first three records are pretty interchangeable in terms of quality. All very special albums

ethansawyer and CarpetElf like this.
  10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Ahhh, never put them together with Andrew McMahon. That makes sense, I knew he had a huge following around here.

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

It’s a top 5 record for me.

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I only got into Jack's Mannequin a couple of years ago but it quickly became a favourite. Just pure melodic endorphin rush pop rock. My little girl just turned 3 and every time we get in the car she requests "the holiday song" so the album is becoming very special to me very quickly.

Pepetito and Craig Manning like this.
  13. ya was gonna say that I'm pleasantly surprised to see 22AM getting so much love.

overall the list feels very Chorus/AP in the best way possible, but there are a couple curveballs in there. would be very interested to see how it changes year over year.

14. Craig Manning

So, we’ll wait for @phaynes12 to finish his recount, but what do people want to do with this? Do we want to leave it as a conversation piece here, or do people actually want to build it into a feature with blurbs/etc. that we post on the site?

15. Craig Manning

Love this! Do you bleep out the F-bomb? Haha

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

upload_2020-11-30_18-49-10.png

ethansawyer and Contender like this.
  17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

at this point, I think it's pretty finalized. i can glance at a few more of the lists going forward, but it seems fairly likely, given this site, to assume the hotelier got more further votes than illmatic haha.

18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Haha no but the time is coming. She has been able to carry a conversation for a long time and has dropped a few F bombs (in context) so we are careful with what we say, but haven't had to G-rate our playlists juuuuust yet. This summer may be our last chance to play whatever we like -- and even that might be optimistic.
    We also sing a mean duet. Started with me singing "if you left it up to..." and she'd sing "MEEEEEEEEEE" for every line of the chorus and bridge. She can pretty much do it all by herself now.
    And mercifully she is coming around on the other tracks too. Because I was starting to get a little tired of the opener hahaha

SpyKi and Craig Manning like this.
  19. Craig Manning

Laughed at all of this. Haha

20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Home like Noplace and Goodness are both perfect records (to me)

Leftandleaving and Steeeve Perry like this.
  21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Not looking forward to when the kindergarten teacher calls us in to say little miss has told the class about scoring an eighth from some lesbians but what are you gonna do?

Craig Manning and Pepetito like this.
  22. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Both very high on my personal list. Honestly excellent songwriting on both. Some of my favorite lyrics.

Craig Manning and SpyKi like this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I would guess the Jacks Mannequin crowd is probably a certain age range (me) and the Hotelier crowd is about 5-10 years younger than that (not me)

24. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

For sure. I’ve never listened to hotelier with jacks being a top top album for me. I’m 35. That jacks album was my third year of college.

irthesteve likes this.
  25. BoldTitan

Trusted

So, if I'm not mistaken, these are the artists who had 3 or more albums appear in the Top 200.

Top Chorus Artists
    Bruce Springsteen
    Taylor Swift
    Manchester Orchestra
    Kanye West
    Jimmy Eat World
    Bon Iver
    The National
    Radiohead
    The Beatles

Honorable Mention (because they are 2/2 for their album releases so far and don't have 3 albums yet.)
    Julien Baker
    Phoebe Bridgers

genericities and TSLROCKS like this.