Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.Fm Users Definitive Albums List • Page 44

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 29, 2020.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

great tune!

2. phaynes12

i would also note that when @ImAMetaphor and i got off on the wrong foot, it was resolved almost instantly.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Having a well rounded music education is great and important but whatever your favorite album is is personal and okay

4. zmtr

Trusted

I am proud of you all :heart:

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I’m really not mad about it or trying to start anything, but I still think about this post you made sometimes lol. I’ve never felt more owned online.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Not all Weezer fans lol

Ken and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What is the consensus essential Jimmy/Death Cab album? Clarity and Transatlanticism? I've gotten more into the older DCFC stuff during quarantine and really enjoy them.

Again, I actually really like both bands. Just interesting to me that they seem to be the consensus picks.

ImAMetaphor and Craig Manning like this.
  9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

On this site, Futures tends to be the top Jimmy Eat World pick. Outside of this site, it's usually either Clarity or Bleed American.

Transatlanticism is definitely the consensus pick for Death Cab, though there's a definite We Have the Facts contingent.

10. phaynes12

I see a lot of The Photo Album and Narrow Stairs love elsewhere. but yeah. transatlanticism is thee one.

Craig Manning and OotyPa like this.
  11. zmtr

Trusted

I really love all of JEW's big songs but have never listened a full album :X

and Transatlanticism is a masterpiece.

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Transatlanticism feels like the essential album. Plans might be the number two? It varies.

Pepetito and Craig Manning like this.
  13. Yeah, I'm a fan of the old DCFC so We Have the Facts is the one for me, but Transatlanticiam is special in the way it marries that sound with where they were headed.

I would also say Futures is my favorite Jimmy album, but if you're looking for something with a little more character than an immaculately produced pop-rock album, Clarity is also special and makes for an interesting listen.

So basically, yes to what everyone else has said lol

SpyKi and ImAMetaphor like this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've heard them all, multiple times. Just waiting for something to click beyond mild enjoyment.

15. phaynes12

i mean, it might be as simple as them just not being for you haha. i love both bands, but i wouldn’t say they are ones that tend to evolve with multiple listens all that much. part of what makes them great, for me, is how immediate they are.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

We Have the Facts... is dope. I like that one a lot

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Chase This Light was very very close to making my list. Easily their best in my eyes. But they’re the most consistently excellent emo band ever to me.

Transatlanticism is probably the best DCFC, but outside of the title track I honestly probably personally connect to Narrow Stairs more

Leftandleaving and Craig Manning like this.
  18. cshadows2887

This is the thing though. Sometimes it just never gets beyond that because the thing that turns something from like/respect to love is alchemy, not algebra.

Like when I see The Wall by Pink Floyd get a high vote or The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I like (and own) both. I can see the quality and understand why someone would passionately love it. But they lack that magic something that takes something into all-time-favorite territory. Nothing you can do to manufacture that. But I understand the appeal.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I will say I saw DCFC live at Made in America with little to know expectations and they fucking kiiiiiillled it

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Transatlanticism is just perfect music to me.

Pepetito, Craig Manning and mad like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I've written about it with Jimmy before. They seem like a band that if I had in high school, I would absolutely treasure them and be in love with. Came along too late, I guess. I knew Bleed American then but that was more about the hooks than the lyrics/emotion in their songs.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

I actually had almost the exact same conversation with someone about Phoebe Bridgers this week. Like, if she had come along when my life was a mess and I was in a bad emotional place, she’d probably be in my top 10, easily. I’d have memorized every word. Now I love the albums and know she’s amazing, but it’s not going to knock stuff around in my top 50.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Agreed. I always go through phases where I'm like, no new album is going to hit me in a way that it would have hit me in high school. And then Goodness or Carrie and Lowell comes along and knocks me on my ass and makes me look like an idiot

24. cshadows2887

Yeah I really hope I never lose my ability to be blown away by new stuff, even if it doesn’t quite crack that top 2% to make a list like this.

Like Jorge Ben’s A Tabua de Esmeralda or Santana’s III or Joni’s The Hissing of Summer Lawns all just flattened me. I legit crave that experience.

25. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

That's my take on this whole thing. I've got plenty of albums from the last two years that have the potential to make a revised version of this list in a couple years, but I've only got 1 album from 2018 onward on my list. There's a shit ton of good music out there, but I really feel like you need to give it time to percolate before we get to all-time status.

Then again, if I went with stuff I listened to a lot when I was a toddler that still holds up a bit for me today, Garth Brooks would be on my list so my opinion should probably be null and void.