Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.fm Staff’s Top Albums of 2017 • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 7, 2018.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Imagine thinking that "carrying this website for years" is more important than showing solidarity with victims of Jesse predatory behavior

Dirty Sanchez, scott, dadbolt and 8 others like this.
  2. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Where the fuck is POPPY

3. Tate's political agenda: Please don't abuse women.

I really crossed the line with that one.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

For the record, not including Brand New was not an editorial directive. Everyone who voted was free to make their own choices and draw their own lines on that front. I think Brand New got one vote total, across 20-25 lists.

Dirty Sanchez, scott, dadbolt and 6 others like this.
  5. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Complaining that the website is no longer about finding good music, on a post that is literally about the best music of 2017. Oh the irony.

6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

And even if you didn't like what's on this AOTY list, the forum has a thread for literally every genre.

Mary V, Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Glad we got a hot take in here from a guy who can't even spell the word "carry" correctly.

dadbolt, Aaron Mook, sophos34 and 4 others like this.
  8. noKings

Regular

Wait, where? I see Want You Back as like song 37.

9. Jake W

Also it's cool af that Vince is 3rd on @Jason Tate 's list. I didn't know you were even a fan.

dadbolt, Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.
  10. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Oh shoot haha it was literally 51 on my list. That's wild. I really like that record though so i probably undersold it a bit. Good year for music.

The next ten that didn't make the cut for me.

HAIM - Something To Tell You
    The Killers - Wonderful, Wonderful
    Four Tet - New Energy
    Waxahatchee - Out In The Storm
    Coward - Coward
    Mogwai - Every Country's Sun
    CHON - Homey
    Adult Mom - Soft Spots
    Greta Van Fleet - From the Fires
    Captain We're Sinking - King of No Man

noKings likes this.
  11. I don't think I will ever get the love for that Menzingers record, it's their least compelling since Chamberlain Waits for me personally. Maybe because I'm still in my early 20s? Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something special! But I love a lot of what's on here, and it looks like I may have to give some albums a second listen (really surprised by Silverstein, I think I only listened to it twice).

Regardless, 2017 was a damn good year for music. Excited for 2018!

js977 and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. Agreed. Record was on my top 10.

Although I'll be the first to admit that I realized I forgot a good handful of albums I absolutely loved when it came time to submit my actual list. Gonna try to do better about record keeping this year so things don't slip through the cracks.

giantSRH, Aaron Mook and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Jake W

14. dotKev

@dotkevin

Fantastic list and write-up. My only issue is not having Lorde crack at least within the top five.

Always look forward to these EOTY rankings, and this one did not disappoint. Keep on, Chorus staff.

15. I did not! I ran out of time to do a proper blog post on here about it. But for good measure, here was the top 20:

Kesha - Rainbow
    The Maine - Lovely Little Lonely
    Taylor Swift - reputation
    Sainte - Smile, and wave
    SZA - Ctrl
    Lorde - Melodrama
    Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
    Niall Horan - Flicker
    Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa
    The Menzingers - After the Party
    Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
    Paramore - After Laughter
    Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
    Khalid - American Teen
    Jule Vera - Waiting on the Sun
    Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
    Pvris - All We Know of Heaven, All We Know of Hell
    Harry Styles - Harry Styles
    Miguel - War & Leisure
    All Time Low - Last Young Renegade

Honorable Mentions:
    Lights - Skin & Earth
    Rapsody - Laila's Wisdom
    Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    Haim - Something to Tell You

Mary V, Jason Tate and Jake W like this.
  16. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Great, diverse list and it makes me happy seeing Silverstein getting some love because DR is great.

Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Paramore, and the Menzingers were my top favorites from this year.

Also really liked Tigers Jaw, Circa, Hundredth, Waxahatchee, Power Trip, Incendiary, NFG, Lana, Balmorhea, MUNA, And STYG

Craig Manning and js977 like this.
  17. Jake W

I love seeing people mention Sainte. I loved that EP and I saw them live last August and Tay looked so happy and that made me happy.

bobsheiskawy and Anna Acosta like this.
  18. I think my favorite part of last year (musically) was that I listened to (or expected nothing from, in the case of a certain pop-punk band) so few of them before this past year. It was almost entirely new artists or artists I hadn't previously bonded with/or whose last record or two just didn't do anything for me. That was very cool.

19. I know it was only 7 tracks but I loved it so much I had to include it.

Jake W likes this.
  20. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

You had Paramore BELOW Menzingers?? You never cease to surprise me.

21. After Laughter had some of my favorite SONGS from last year, but certain parts of the album were weak enough for me that less likely contenders like the Menzingers (who, by the way, I didn't listen to until December when I was playing album catchup) just put forward stronger efforts.

22. Aj LaGambina

What were the "weaker" songs?

And I had a similar Menzingers story. Somehow convinced myself that I didn't like them for years, and when the staff slack blew up about it I checked out After The Party and have since fallen head-over-heels in love with them.

23. If it was between "Pool" and "Tell Me How" I hit skip.

24. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think one of my biggest pet peeves of 2017 (aside from the obviously bigger, more serious issues that I wouldn't categorize as pet peeves) was the complete misuse and overuse of "political" and "politics" by petty people who use that as a covert way of trying to criticize people for caring about issues. As if caring about something is inherently political.

25. Aj LaGambina

UGH I love "Pool" though. Also it might be because I love mewithoutYou but, "No Friend" is so cool. And Grudges just makes me happy.