Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus.fm Staff’s Top Albums of 2016 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 8, 2017.

1. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I'm glad I to participate this year. Tons of great music on this list. The variety of genres on the list also speaks to the type of community we have.

2. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

JEW was a great record but I'm actually really surprised at the placement. Gonna check out whatever I don't know on this list

3. what

Regular

Glad to see Much love crack the top 30. In a year with so many great releases I wasn't sure if it would make it

Also stage four at 4 is cool

4. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I think the biggest shock was to not see The 1975 or Frank Ocean in the #1 slot. JEW definitely a surprise, pleasant surprise, at number 1.

@Jason Tate Love that Young the Giant made it onto your list. It was going to be on my list until I put my all my ducks in a row.

It's surprising to not see IIOI on anyone's list, not because it generated lots of talk but I didn't think I was the only one who liked it as much as I did. Ended up being my personal AOTY.

5. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Integrity Blues is a masterpiece--JEW really tapped into something special there. It's starting to get ridiculous because whenever The End Is Beautiful comes up on shuffle, without fail someone will ask for the song name and artist.

6. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

IIOI was mine too, and I was also wondering about the lack of it just about everywhere haha.

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

YG should be #1 for FDT.

8. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Great work all!
    Random thoughts:
    . Thought Blonde would be higher
    . I have only listened to Pinegrove once -- fully expected that to be number one and I'd have to revisit it immediately
    . Blink and no Green Day makes my brain/heart/life ache just a little
    . Revolution Radio is much better than Los Angeles
    . Muuuch better
    . Someone mentioned The End Is Beautiful, my wife hasn't listened to much Jimmy Eat World for a decade or more and when the first verse started she said "oh, new Jimmy Eat World"
    . I knew there would be a complaint about lack of women/diversity. I think we all agree diversity is fantastic but you have to list the albums you truly liked best. As long as you're open to music made by people from all walks of life and give it a chance, you're listening from a point of equality and fairness. We are capable of doing so much to further progress towards equality, let's not make a big deal about a list of music on the internet.
    . Besides, this list features men, women, LBGTQIA, people of different races, people of different beliefs
    . Congrats on a great first year, you have a fantastic site and community here
    . Here's to 2017!

Aaron Mook and Craig Manning like this.
  9. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

It's on my personal list. But the hyperlink is a bit missed up. Find it here or here if that doesn't work, if you're interested.

marceting likes this.
  10. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Solid top 4. I'd put 1975 at the top though and ETID is too low.

Gonna go through and listen to what I missed!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  11. MortalGarbage

Great job as always! However, I think best of articles are much more interesting if they function as a countdown (present the 30th album first, work down to #1), but that's my only gripe. There's a few I haven't listened to and I'll have to catch up on those pronto!

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Lori McKenna is an incredible songwriter. She's country, but not overbearingly so. I think you'd like that album.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Put a lot of time into this, so I'm happy to have it come out looking good!

I don't know what happened in your life that convinced you that it's okay to act like this in a public forum where the people you're trash talking are going to read what you're saying, but here's a few things to realize:

1) It doesn't matter if you know who the staffers or mods are. Your knowledge of people is not the benchmark we took in deciding who got to vote for the albums featured on this list.

2) The only "random acts" pushed into the list by me and Greg were Sturgill and Lori McKenna, both of whom have a bunch of Grammy nominations and showed up on a lot of other year-end lists. Sturgill probably would have made it even if Greg hadn't voted. Pretty sure six people voted for that album. Also, you can't really complain about not enough women being on the list and then also complain about "random act" Lori McKenna getting pushed into the 30th slot because Greg and I had her album ranked very high. Is it more female artists you want on the list, or just more female artists you are familiar with?

3) JEW had way more number one votes than Pinegrove. It won on consensus, not because of me and Jason "adoring JEW more than you understand." It was the more loved album across our voting contingent.

Seriously, get over yourself. Complaining about a list is fine. Lord Knows I've done plenty of that this year. But you're making it weirdly venomous and personal, which is definitely not cool.

Agreed on Revolution Radio, but alas.

13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

what part was being a dick? Craig and I are really good friends, I was just at his house a few weeks ago haha. Was making constructive criticism of the rest of the list.

The john part was a joke, because I mean seriously, ask around in the forums, who is that?!?! You all don't ever take my posts half seriously like you all should, haha. I'm sure he's a nice fellow and should post in the forums more!!!

14. cwhit

but you've complained about pinegrove so much to me!!!!!! I know you like them but you always seem like a hype buster at the same time hahaha

15. cwhit

OH SHIT that's who you are I had no clue what your name is hahaha

See all of you could have instead calling me mean say who he was because now everything makes so much more sense

Esteemed user Broken Parachute was all I had to hear

16. cwhit

I wasn't "complaining" about those "random" acts, it's an observation. Cool to see some artists that go outside the norm of what is hyped here but its always very obvious when it's an artist that was listed highly by you two and that pushed it into the back end of the list, haha. I wish there was more on the list like that. Not meant to me negative at all.

You all need to stop taking the negatives out of my posts and solely focusing on that, I know you have a bad impression of me but I am never seriously mean (other than some half assed joking with people whom I know know it's a joke) unless it's to someone who is showing disgusting bigoted world views. So, I mean...we're good, lol

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

so happy to see thrice make a top 10... they deserve it

18. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Did you miss the part where I said it finally clicked for me in August? My loving his older material definitely had a lot to do with my hype busting back when it came out. I adore it now though.

19. cwhit

yeah i mean i didn't expect it to be "low" for you but also didn't expect to see it "high" meaning top ten, so i was about right, hahaha. i mean we did a jam session out in the car to Thursday with your friend, of course you like it haha

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Shut up Grug. Just accept the fact that Shit/Chair/Closet Ska Fan is right and you hated Cardinal.

21. cwhit

i am okay with "Shit" and "Chair" but "Closet Ska Fan" is a downright banable offense.

22. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Good list. I'm enjoying reading through the write ups. I'm surprised American Football didn't make it. I thought that album was really solid.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Even Ye's worst album gets ranked above every other hip hop album!!!!

EngineDown likes this.
  24. cwhit

tbh in this group of people i expected chance to be above kanye, haha. one of the bigger shocks to me

25. cwhit

from thomas's list

Over the past three weeks I've barely listened to anything else, until I panned out into Russian Circles, Red Sparowes and other instrumental metal / post-rock through the recommendations of my friend Pat.

good job @EngineDown

EngineDown likes this.