Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chicks - Gaslighter (July 17,2020) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 18, 2020.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

When this tour happens it's going to be magic

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This album being fucking amazing reminded me of the shit I got for putting Gaslighter on our most-anticipated list back in February.

Dumb people.JPG

4. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Yeah, a lotta people (men) are instantly dismissive about this band and it bums me the fuck out. Even the Stereogum comments were pretty bad on the article they posted about the album being available to stream.

radiodead and Craig Manning like this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

the "front page" portion of this website is a cesspool

6. @@ron

Regular

Well they have “Chicks” in their name so clearly you’re less of a man if you listen to them....

radiodead and zmtr like this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, there are preconceived biases against them that go back a long, long way. When I was growing up, it definitely wasn't "cool" to be a boy who liked a band called Dixie Chicks. Or really to listen to female artists at all. I'd like to think those narrow ways of thinking about music have been dismantled a bit, but I think some people still (consciously or unconsciously) lean back on their biases about female artists that were really big in the 90s and especially the 2000s.

The sad part is how much it's improved from the AbsolutePunk days...

ChaseTx, radiodead and zmtr like this.
  8. bradsonemanband Jul 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 17, 2020)
    I still have to do a double-take every time I see Ariel Rechtshaid's name in the credits of huge albums, haha.

9. irthesteve

10. Echoing that "Texas Man" is so fucking good.
    Also echoing that this whole album is so fucking good.

11. radiodead

Trusted

Ah god I forgot how bad the news comments sections were on the front page.

zmtr likes this.
  12. irthesteve

smowashere, Mary V, zmtr and 2 others like this.
  13. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

This is so good.

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this album is both incredibly good and incredibly important

15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This album fucking rules.

Also, didn’t realize that Everybody Loves You was a cover.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  16. irthesteve

Charlotte Lawrence is totally one to watch, she's had some cool stuff so far

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I checked her out for the first time the other day after hearing her briefly on the Scrubs rewatch podcast. She's really good.

18. irthesteve

She's only released a few songs in the last couple years so I definitely think she's saving up for A BIG debut album

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

20. duritzfan13

all we have is time

How on earth has Natalie's voice managed to stay exactly the same for 20 years? Seriously incredible vocals on this record. Her tone has not aged a bit

21. JohnR831

Regular

This album is really something. I strongly relate to what @Craig Manning was saying about liking this band as a male growing up. I grew up in a household that only listened to country music, and this was the one band I gravitated toward. I always knew they were different. There weren’t many bands comprised of females (and I say bands, not groups), and their mastery of their instruments has always been a huge draw for me. They were my first concert way back on the Fly Tour when I was about 10 or 11 (1999 maybe?). Once I had my musical awakening toward the end of high school, and especially in college, I found my true love for music which leaned heavily toward alt rock/indie (big follower of ap.net back then), but this is the one band that I’ve stuck with from my childhood. As my musical tastes developed, some things kind circled back a little with my favorite artists being people like Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers (far too many more to mention, but you get the idea). It’s sort of amazing to me that the sound of the music isn’t all that different, yet they’re in such different worlds. Having been a huge fan of Jack’s stuff for a long time, I remember seeing Natalie post about being at one of his shows a while back, then she was featured on a Terrible Thrills album. I had this hope that they might work together for an album one day, and was so excited when they ended up doing that. Their last album came out the year before I graduated from high school. I’ve stuck by as a fan all this time, seen them on all their major tours, and here I am in 2020 - finished grad school at the end of last year, thankful to have a decent job, and this band drops such a great album. They’re basically the one thing that he stuck with me as far back as I can remember, and I’m grateful for that.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I def need to get into their older stuff more, for whatever reason Shania and Faith were the only country people who made a pop crossover enough for me to be exposed to them, besides Landslide I was too young to listen to them when they were huge

but yeah this is great

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Like this a lot. I don’t like March March

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Jack is all over this haha. I like it on first listen and I really only know Goodbye Earl outside of this album

25. The wife and I got this on vinyl today at Target.